PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and Hollow Form

Ken Vonk
04-29-2010, 6:30 PM
Mom and Dad came for a visit last fall and gave me some buckeye and some maple burl. This piece is made from one of the maple burl pieces. I had done several hollow forms and decided to give an "up-side-down" hollow form. The sides are 1/8" thick and I left the bottom about 5/16" to add weight to the bottom. I can lay it on it's side and it'll stand it's self up...lol. This piece is about 7 1/2" tall and 6 " in diameter. This piece is from the same batch of maple burl as the trophy cup I posted yesterday.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Ken

David Walser
04-29-2010, 6:40 PM
Ken,

I think the form works very well. It's roughly egg shaped and has a very organic, natural feel to it that goes well with the burl's spectacular grain. Very well done.

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 7:02 PM
Ken, that is a beautiful piece!! You should put some cattails, reeds, etc. in it for a pic - would really work IMO. The burl is just great - looked good on the trophy cup and looks even better here. Lot of depth in the figure.

Tony De Masi
04-29-2010, 7:06 PM
Real nice work Ken. Love what you did that piece of burl.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2010, 7:55 PM
Ken that is a beauty. I agree that cattails, dried flowers, etc. would look nice in it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 8:11 PM
Simply amazing! Love the organic form and the outstanding burl! Exception hollow form and one that you should be very proud of! Did you gift it to your parents?

David E Keller
04-29-2010, 8:13 PM
That's gorgeous. Wonderful wood and a nice shape as well.

Nathan Hawkes
04-29-2010, 9:35 PM
WOW! Gorgeous. nothing more to say.

Ken Vonk
04-29-2010, 9:41 PM
Steve, I didn't give it to my parents. I'm showing it in an art gallery in Hot Springs. Mom and Dad have gotten more pleasure seeing me showing in Gallery 726 than in receiving my work as a gift. Dad also sells his woodturning in Arizona and wants me to experience what he's been enjoying.

This was an outstanding piece of maple burl. I've posted a picture of the other side of the hollow form. I agree about putting dried flowers, cat tails or perhaps a dogwood or cherry branch with flowers in this hollow form. I was actually thinking of that when I made it and that's why I left the bottom heavier.

Thank for the kind words.

Ken

Curt Fuller
04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, you hit a home run with that form! Beautiful wood too.

Richard Madison
04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Beautiful shape and beautiful wood. Nice work Ken.

Mark Burge
04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Great form. It complements the wildness of the grain very well. Excellent piece.

Wally Dickerman
04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Very well done Ken. Curves are good, form is different and I like it. A very choice piece of Oregon burl.

You're giving old Dad some real competition with your turnings. Word is that you're going to be out here in Arizona in a few weeks. Maybe you can give him a lesson. My lathe is available.

Wally

Mike McAfee
04-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Beautiful piece Ken! Now that I've seen this I think I have a piece of black walnut that is begging to be turned in a similar shape!

Another fine example for my inspiration file!

MMc

charlie knighton
04-30-2010, 3:06 AM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Great piece of burl and the shape looks good with it. I am sure my wife would go for something that wouldn't tip over if you put something in it!

Robert McGowen
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Very nicely done, Ken!

Thom Sturgill
04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Very nice, the simplicity of the form enhances what nature did with the burl and that (IMHO) is the goal of wood art.

alex carey
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
yeah the form does work, beautiful wood as well.

Rob Cunningham
04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Stunning wood and a beautiful form.

Tim Rinehart
04-30-2010, 3:27 PM
Great piece of burl and super form.
Curious what the bottom looks like, were you able to turn it using a vac chuck, or did you have a nub to deal with?
Either way...I like it alot. I've done a couple pieces that are rounded on bottom and right themselves...they're kind of funny...or at least make me smile.

Ken Vonk
04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Wally I appreciate the kind words. Dad's got big shoes to fill....lol Maybe if I turn as many years as you have been turning I can hold a candle to someone like you. Ofcourse, I'd be 120 years old :eek: :D:D:o

Ken

Ken Vonk
05-01-2010, 5:58 PM
Tim, I don't have a vac chuck. I haven't even taken the time to make a donut chuck yet. I finished this piece with a small ring for a foot. I reversed the piece and put it against a board that I have mounted on a face plate. The board has 3/8" thick neoprene from an old wet suit. This I use the live center on the tail stock. I turn the 1/32" tall 1/16" wide foot and a couple of accent lines on the bottom after turning off the tenon I used to chuck up the piece. Then I use a parting tool to get down to about 1/4" nub. I cut with a hand saw and then use a dremel with the sanding barrel to remove any evidence of the nub. Sorry I don't have a picture of the bottom and the piece is already at the gallery.

Ken