PDA

View Full Version : Model T -- Ford that is

Tom Godley
04-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Anybody have a Model "T"

I have never owned a "pre war" car -- I was thinking about getting a "T" - know almost nothing about them but I have always wanted a very old car.

Because of the economy and the natural life cycle of the owners :( -- The "T" gets listed as one of the best current values in the antique car market. Looks like I would want one of the later ones. Having trouble finding one with AC ?

mike holden
04-29-2010, 5:41 PM
Tom,
They all have natural a/c (grin)
Be aware that they are very different to drive, the pedals are not like normal pedals in their functions.
Note also that some come with electric starters and some dont. Some come in green or red (depends on year)
There are a lot of wood parts on the car, so maintaining those are the fun part.

So, look around, or check hemmings and make sure the previous owner shows you how to drive it. Taking a video camera with you is recommended. (I actually have a model T drivers license - took a class in how to drive them from Henry Ford/Greenfield Village)

They are a lot of fun,
Mike

Mike Henderson
04-29-2010, 7:42 PM
You probably know this, but the model A would drive a lot more like a modern car than the model T.

If I was getting an older Ford, I'd pick the model A.

Mike

Mitchell Andrus
04-29-2010, 8:10 PM
You probably know this, but the model A would drive a lot more like a modern car than the model T.

If I was getting an older Ford, I'd pick the model A.

Mike

Agreed. I've had a 1928 A 4 door phaeton and a few other mid 30's to mid 40's cars over the years, and still have my first car, a 1930 Model A Town Sedan that I bought with my dad in 1972. I was a show judge back in the 70's and early 80's.

Model T's are fun at car shows but a PITA on the highways - forget about keeping up at 40+ MPH. They are slow and while relatively indestructible, a bit fiddly. Model A's are just as much fun and will not get you one-finger salutes on the highway. Model T got a starter and electric lights in 1913 IIRC but some later models will have the aftermarket conversion (yes, aftermarket existed even back then).

Each model is plentiful as are replacement parts and relatively inexpensive if you stay away from 90+ point show cars. The old Fords are a dream to maintain for entry-level gents with a moderate background in driveway mechanics. When you get serious about any particular car bring an expert (a fellow Model A or T club member) to look it over for you. Seriously. There's a lot of junkers out there slathered with bondo and brakes in need of total rebuilding. The better cars in your area will be 'known' by the enthusiasts. Many safe, reliable cars are out there.

Find a local chapter and kick a few tires. Most have monthly meetings and summer tours and will welcome a fresh face.

http://www.mafca.com/
http://www.mafca.com/chapters_list.html
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/model_a/
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/model_t/

Rick Potter
04-30-2010, 2:20 AM
How tall are you? If you are much over 5'7" it will be very uncomfortable to drive.

I agree with the others suggesting a Model A. Much nicer to drive, more room, and easier to maintain for the average Joe. I have had both. Still have a Model T which is a 1950's hot rod. It has a V8 60 out of a 1939 Ford, which was put in in the mid '50's. I hate driving it, it actually hurts me to get my feet on the pedals (I am 6'1"). She likes it, won't let me sell it. Says it's cute.

Rick Potter

Tom Godley
04-30-2010, 9:07 AM
I am about 5' 11" -- I have never driven one -- but I think I want something with out a top anyway -- if that is what the height problem is.

I am a little bit of a "motor head" and my taste/ desires have changed over the past few years. I am rethinking some of the older cars I currently own and rarely use :(

I happen to see a "T" speedster -- looked cool. I am looking for something that I can take out occasionally on nice days == trips to the hardware store dinner etc.

Marty Rose
04-30-2010, 9:43 AM
I have a Mod. T, 1924 all orginal. I live on the Cent. Coast of Ca. and it's FUN to drive. Keeps you very busy though, Gas, Spark, Steering, Three pedels, Forward, Nuteral, Reverse. Hand Break,for nuteral, yep keeps you busy. This is a Four Door, extreemly solid, not tiny inside, I stand 5'11 and sets very comfortable, room in the back seat to get comfortable. Thinking of selling it, wish I had Pictures I'd post them