PDA

View Full Version : Template Idea

John Hart
04-29-2010, 3:39 PM
Ok...I had an idea a couple of years ago. Then I fell off the edge of the planet...and subsequently, the idea got put on hold (along with everything else) But here it is:

Between 2 and 3 years ago, we were having a discussion here about Form. Form of bowls, vases, finials...etc. And we arrived at the conclusion that turning your piece, then taking a picture in silhouette, really helped in seeing the form for what it really was...without all the distraction of figure, color or shot angle.

Jim Becker suggested making the form out of junk wood and painting it black. And then of course, there's the photographic method.

Anyway...long story short...I want to create a database of form templates and make it available here.

What I do is take an actual photo....convert it into sihouette....embed it in a CAD program....put it on a grid and then dimension it. At this point it is available as a guide to follow, if it is a form that you would like to try.

The attached image is one where I took the picture of a pottery vase that I found, and made all the alterations and make it available here.

In addition, I am keeping the original CAD files, so if you say, "Hey John...can we see it a little fatter...or taller...or different rim?"...then I can easily modify it and make it available.

I've created the database and directories for this project, and would like to build it to something significant before I'm dead.

So....I'm looking for a consensus...Does this seem like something that might be of interest?

alex carey
04-29-2010, 4:16 PM
well its certainly very intriguing and the shape is definitely much easier to see.

Richard Madison
04-29-2010, 4:58 PM
John, glad you were able to climb back onto the planet. Dunno about the template idea. Might be helpful to some. Come to think of it, might be helpful to beginning segmenters. I always draw one half of a proposed segmented piece full scale (stone age pencil and paper method) and lay out the rings. Then measure how wide (radial direction) the segments will be in each ring.

Mark Burge
04-29-2010, 5:55 PM
John, I like your idea. Seems like a lot of work but if you are up to it, I, for one, would appreciate it. Just a note about the CAD stuff though, the dimensions and lines make it harder for me to just see the form. Just your basic black would make it easier for me to use.

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 6:31 PM
John, Raffan has a section in his book - The Art of Turned Bowls, where he suggests using templates cut from plywood, hardboard, or something similar to use to "gauge" a bowl while on the lathe.

Your idea sounds neat, but a lot of work. On the other hand, soon as the library is done, you will have all that time on your hands!!:D;)

David Walser
04-29-2010, 6:38 PM
John,

I would love to have a library of such templates available. It would be a lot of help for a number of reasons. As you've already heard, some would not find such a resource useful. Others, like me, would.

Frank Van Atta
04-29-2010, 6:48 PM
This has already been done, albeit not in black. See "Shapes For Woodturners" by David Weldon.

Bruce Pratt
04-29-2010, 6:53 PM
See also Classic Forms (2008) by Stuart Dyas ISBN 978-0-85442-190-9.

-----------

Bruce Pratt

John Hart
04-29-2010, 7:10 PM
Overall, I think that many people, from novice to expert can gain something from this. As a novice, it helps to see the grid (set at 1" intervals, and through those, they can run their parting tool down to the diameters across those 1" segments. This helps to achieve the curve and help them improve their "eye".

For the expert, often times, there are the questions of "top heaviness" or thickness of certain features, that you can't always see when the piece is horizontal.

But this, like any tool, is conceived to help those who want it, while it can accumulate dust for those who don't.

Mark...with regard to the picture....The database is comprise of three graphic fields....Plain template...Dimensioned Template...and CAD Drawing. This will allow you to choose between any of the three. Nothing will be copyrighted so you can print out...alter...whatever.

I understand that this has already been done. In fact, there are a bunch of internet resources where you can get this type of information, along with tutorials etc. But my idea was to set up a handy interactive repository here on SMC.

Because we all like to get critiques of our work, it will also provide for an historical archive of those times when someone posts a piece, asks for it to be silhouetted and then that effort is added to the archive.

By the way...I do enjoy this kind of thing. I've been an engineer most of my adult life and like to use any acquired knowledge to use before my mind goes south.

As far as the library...I'll be taking my final Insurance pictures TONIGHT. Then life gets a little easier. :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2010, 7:53 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Again with Raffan he would turn lidded boxes and paint them black. He put them on the shelf to look at for designing.

David E Keller
04-29-2010, 8:22 PM
I like the idea. I think I would use it for inspiration. If you've got the interest, I would certainly appreciate the effort.

David Warkentin
04-29-2010, 9:12 PM
I really like this idea. It would really help me to know the sizes of turnings. I have seen very few actual turned wood products in real life. Sure, lots of pictures but if I could print something like this out or draw it off the grid, it would definitely help me. David

Dick Strauss
04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
John,
Here is a neat piece of software developed by Bill Ooms for bowl shapes. It allows you to rotate in 3-d, change color or change shading. You can view it as a solid form or as a line drawing. Try it...it is pretty slick

http://www.billooms.com/bowlshape.html

It's really good to see you posting here again! The Delta BS is still running strong. I've still got a little wood left from the log dump near your old house.

Take care,
Dick

Chris Rae
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I would also be interested in this project. Sounds like it could be very useful. Thanks in advance!

Mike McAfee
04-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I think it's a great idea John and I'll take the time now to personally thank you for your contribution!

MMc

Frank Van Atta
04-30-2010, 2:14 AM
I understand that this has already been done. In fact, there are a bunch of internet resources where you can get this type of information, along with tutorials etc. But my idea was to set up a handy interactive repository here on SMC.

A fine idea, methinks.