PDA

View Full Version : teak finish?

Steve Vaughan
04-29-2010, 3:29 PM
I've just turned a small bowl out of teak. It's the first time I've worked with teak, and was wondering what's a good finish for it. I usually use Watco Danish Oil and/or laquer, buffed out. But I didn't know if the oils in the teak would interfere with those finishes. I also have shellac available. I do not have any boiled linseed oil.

Scott Holmes
04-29-2010, 4:56 PM
What look and feel do you want?

How will the bowl be used?

A shellac finish may be enough.

Steve Vaughan
04-29-2010, 5:18 PM
I usually have a semi-gloss look/sheen to my bowls, as opposed to glossy, and not a finish that sits on the surface such as a poly. I was just concerned if the oils in the teak would interact with the danish, or should I do something like shellac.

Roger Benton
04-30-2010, 8:01 AM
watco makes a product called "teak oil", which they say is formulated to better soak in to dense oily woods like teak, rosewood, mahogany, ebony, etc. It is a little lighter than watco danish oil in color but goes on the same way. when dry it looks nearly identical to danish and blo to my eye.

hope that helps...

Prashun Patel
04-30-2010, 8:26 AM
watco makes a product called "teak oil", which they say is formulated to better soak in to dense oily woods like teak, rosewood, mahogany, ebony, etc. It is a little lighter than watco danish oil in color but goes on the same way. when dry it looks nearly identical to danish and blo to my eye.

That's surprising. I was told by Watco that Teak Oil is actually just Danish oil with UV inhibitors. I believe both are linseed oil based, so I'm not sure why the absorbency or color properties should differ between the 2 products.

Scott Holmes
04-30-2010, 10:10 AM
In a word... Marketing

That way you will buy 2 cans one for this another for "teak"

Steve Vaughan
04-30-2010, 9:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured then that I'd just go my usual route - Watco natural, then probably a couple coats of spray deft buffed out. I was concerned about compatibility but then realized that folks put varnish on teak, so it should all be fine. Thanks again.

Roger Benton
05-22-2010, 12:42 AM
eons later, i just came across this on the western wood doctor website:

"Watco Teak Oil is an exterior finish that is very similar to Watco Danish Oil. It is Danish Oil + U.V. inhibitors + mildewcide + an ingredient to soak into dense woods better. U.V. inhibitors help protect the wood from the sun. Mildewcide helps prevent mildew from growing, especially important for boat interiors or humid areas. Watco Teak Oil is only available in natural color."

an ingredient to soak into dense woods better..... more mineral spirits??

Scott Holmes
05-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Want to see some MARKETING?

According to the MSDS for
WATCO Exterior Oil
AND
WATCO TEAK Oil
(identical MSDS info)... drum roll please......
50% Mineral Spirits
40% Naptha

Raw Linseed Oil
Resin
Pigment Dispersion

Interestingly the Watco natural Danish oil is as follows:

60% Mineral Spirits

5% aromatic petroleum distillates
5% Dipropylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether
5% Stoddard Solvent

Raw Linseed
Vegetable Oil
Resin
Gilsonite

I would leave the vegetable oil out for exterior use too; it may go rancid.

Steve Schoene
05-22-2010, 5:39 AM
Sure looks like that "extra ingredient to penetrate dense woods better" is more paint thinner. The vegetable oil could well be soya or other drying (or semi-drying) oil that in the circumstance wouldn't, I think, have a problem with rancidity. It may well be oil incorporated into the "varnish" portion, since they just didn't dump resin into the mix, they poured varnish, likely made from the vegetable oil and resin.

I think the OP will just have to test, on scrap if he has some, whether the danish oil cures properly. I think that may well depend on the particular piece of teak. If not, then shellac may be the answer, but a film finish would be the outcome. But shellac, in a moderately light cut, won't build up around the edges of the pores, and though naturally shiny, can quite easily be brought down to a more semi-gloss sheen.

Karl Card
05-22-2010, 9:02 AM

hope that helps...

I have used this teak oil and love it. I made a teak bowl and the teak oil really made it look rich and the grain was just nothing less than beautiful..

I really don think you would be dissappointed

Roger Benton
05-22-2010, 9:42 AM
Want to see some MARKETING?

According to the MSDS for
WATCO Exterior Oil
AND
WATCO TEAK Oil
(identical MSDS info)... drum roll please......
50% Mineral Spirits
40% Naptha

Raw Linseed Oil
Resin
Pigment Dispersion

Interestingly the Watco natural Danish oil is as follows:

60% Mineral Spirits

5% aromatic petroleum distillates
5% Dipropylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether
5% Stoddard Solvent

Raw Linseed
Vegetable Oil
Resin
Gilsonite

I would leave the vegetable oil out for exterior use too; it may go rancid.

wow.
so the exterior/teak oil finish is less than 10% oil/resin.
reminds me of cheeze with a Z.

although it did look nice on my teak ply coffee table after 4 applications and some wax... but then again maybe something else would have looked better?