PDA

View Full Version : What do you make your jigs/fixtures out of?

Steve Kelsey
04-29-2010, 2:54 PM
I made my first jig last night for doing a production run. I used a thin sheet of acrylic instead of cardboard so that it would last for a while. I was wondering if there are other materials that people are using that might be cheaper or even more stable (I have about 1/16th between each position in the jig and could easily break one of the dividers if I am clumsy).

John Noell
04-29-2010, 3:04 PM
Most of mine are 3mm plywood. I have to use more than 1/16th between pieces but that usually is not a problem. I do a lot of short runs and may not get the exact size pieces to work on again so I want somethng cheap, but very stable (i.e., no cardboard).

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2010, 4:01 PM
1/4" MDF works well. Even 1/8" is stiff enough for repeated uses.

If the dividers are that thin, do you really need them? The MDF is cheap enough to keep several jigs on hand, e.g. one for singles, one for full sheets, one for a single row or column, etc.

George Brown
04-29-2010, 4:52 PM
I use chipboard (sort of like cardboard). Cheap and sturdy enough. I bought a bunch once that will last me for quite a while.

Doug Griffith
04-29-2010, 5:06 PM
I use 1/4" MDF for almost everything. I'd rather use 1/8" but it's not at the local borg and is getting hard to find.

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2010, 5:22 PM
I use 1/4" MDF for almost everything. I'd rather use 1/8" but it's not at the local borg and is getting hard to find.When they stopped carrying the 1/8" at the Borg, I got two 4'x8' sheets at Reel Lumber in Anaheim, had them cut it to 36"x48" so it would go in the car...should last awhile.

Mike Null
04-29-2010, 5:35 PM
I use pretty much the same as everybody else with 1/8" ply and 1/2" MDF most useful. I also find hot glue and double back tape to be very useful.

Dee Gallo
04-29-2010, 5:36 PM
I'm on my last couple square feet of 1/8" MDF. It's the best! But I have made some with coated cardboard, which works well too. Too bad you can't find the thin MDF anymore.:(

Bill Cunningham
04-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Is the 1/8 mdf your discussing the same stuff they punch full of holes to mount display hooks in?

Lee DeRaud
04-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Is the 1/8 mdf your discussing the same stuff they punch full of holes to mount display hooks in?You mean pegboard? That's usually tempered hardboard, AKA masonite.

Marc Pod
04-30-2010, 8:01 AM
3mm or 4mm plywood works fine for me.

Zvi Grinberg
04-30-2010, 8:22 AM
We're not using MDF at all.
Maybe I read too much about formaldehyde.

If there's a doubt, we have no doubt.

For jigs we use acrylic boards with variaty of thickness - depending on application. Might be more expensive and slower to cut, but using it, we'll probably live longer to wait till the job ends.

Rodne Gold
04-30-2010, 8:59 AM
I use whatever scrap I have on hand that can hold the pieces in position.

Bruce Volden
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
In addition to what has already been said, I keep some plain 'ol ordinary CLAY around for those roly-poly clumsy to work with occasional oddball one offs!! :cool: Whew, that was a mouthful.

Bruce

Scott Challoner
04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
You mean pegboard? That's usually tempered hardboard, AKA masonite.
This is what I use (without the holes). Dirt cheap and cuts nicely as long as you get the stuff that's smooth on both sides. The stuff that's rough on one side chars pretty badly. I think due to whatever they put in it to bind the fibers together. True Masonite only uses pressure, steam, and the woods natural binding properties (so I've read). I get it in 1/8" and 1/4". Last place I found it was Lowes. They even cut it up into laser sized pieces for me.

Bill Cunningham
05-01-2010, 7:32 PM
You mean pegboard? That's usually tempered hardboard, AKA masonite.

Ya.. That's the the stuff... I have about 50 4x8 sheets in my workshop. I have used it for templates, but prefer the free acrylic scraps I get from my signmaker neighbor.. I originally bought the hardboard for the ceiling on the second floor of my shop, but haven't got around to nailing it up yet. It's only been ten years, so no rush!

Brian Robison
05-01-2010, 8:07 PM
I like acrylic. I cut a hole in the 0,0 corner to identify that corner and use the hole to hang the fixtures on pegs. I also engrave what they are for.
BTW, new mirror and electricity fixed and the little 25 watt cuts 1/4' like BUTTER!

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
05-04-2010, 8:27 AM
Hi,

The MDF 3mm and 6mm thick is my favourites, I usually do a lot of job.

Cutting is good comparing to acrylic takes more time, cost etc

Even some time I use Xray used sheets ( Poly Carbonate thin sheets ) to make simple jig and fixture templates etc

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Viktor Voroncov
05-04-2010, 9:17 AM
I preffer acrylic, as practically all other materials very often get humidity from air and change their dimension. Another reason is that acrylic works much longer.

Jimmy Estrada Jr
05-07-2010, 8:26 PM
Cheap plexiglass from home depot or lowes works great. I use 1/8 inch sheets at work for making templates

Steve Kelsey
05-08-2010, 1:23 PM
Just did one out of hardboard. Cheap, vectors and rasters incredibly well. This is the way to go. Thanks for all the advice!