PDA

View Full Version : In all this design talk, I have changed

Chris Daigh
11-17-2004, 1:23 PM
my mind on the dining room chairs I want to build. But where do I start. I was going to build a high back F.L. Wright chair with straight front and back legs. The back slats were just angled from the top to the bottom for back support. Probably not the most comfortable. But now after reading alot of Mark Singers posts, I just feel that I won't be happy with that design. It was simple, I could build it, but would I be happy with it. It would look great, but where should I start to get a concept and dimensions. I have done countless google searches for images of dining room chairs. I guess I will just have to keep at it. There just aren't many plans for chairs that are out of the box. I can't stand most of those plans. Any books or site would be helpful. Thanks in advance and thanks to Mark for opening my mind to other possibilities.

Jamie Buxton
11-17-2004, 2:34 PM
You might find two books interesting:
Chairmaking and Design, Jeff Miller, 1997, Taunton Press
The Art of Chairmaking, Kerry Pierce, 1997, Sterling Publishing

Mark Singer
11-17-2004, 3:39 PM
Chris,

I love a lot of FLW furniture as well as his buildings. I have sat in some of te chairs and they are not that comfortable. I would print out a copy of the chair of his you like and try to push the design a bit...if you can find it on the internet...maybe Google Images ...post it and then let us see what tweeks you apply before you go into construction. I have designed and built many chairs and would be willing to review your progress. A full scale prototype is essential and will help you to decide on joinery , comfort geometry and other issues.

Chris Daigh
11-17-2004, 4:00 PM
That would be great, thank you. I just ordered Chairmaking and Design and will see what that brings to my design. I will definately do a prototype and post it.

Marty Milkovits
11-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Personally I don't like FLW's style. I tend to lean more toward Sam Maalof but there are a lot of his details that I don't find attractive either. What I'm getting at is that if this is for yourself you need to follow your heart, take elements from whom evers design speaks to you and then add your own ideas. Aside from that, pay close attention to ergonmics (A chair must be comfortable) and strength, you don't want your overweight aunt to end up on the floor when she leans back in the chair laughing.

Marty

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2004, 1:35 PM
:confused: Correct me if I'm wrong Mark........Chris, I think you're opening up your mind to alternatives is just what Mark's recent threads were meant to do. Consider alternatives......materials...designs.......take an existing design make modifications to suit need, tastes........Good luck with you search Chris.

Chris Daigh
11-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your help on this, it seems I am spending a lot time looking at images(google searches) and I am getting some ideas. But bending the wood for the back I am a little clueless. I don't have a big band saw to cut the wood thin so I can bend it. I guess I need some good books that any of you can recommend. I am looking at getting Chairmaking and Design, not easy to find. Amazon wants 47 bucks for a used copy. Any input would be great. I guess I just need help figuring out the curvature of the back.

Mark Singer
11-22-2004, 11:41 AM
If you check Hans Wegner....do a search for his chairs it may be helpful. They are all pretty comfortable and classic modern design

Jim Becker
11-22-2004, 11:37 PM
First rule of chair design...build prototype(s)!! They don't have to be pretty or even exactly like the final product in "style", but they do need to be functional from a support and comfort standpoint. You can use inexpensive lumber and plywood and burn it/them afterward, but they are the perfect way to insure that the chairs are actually usable by humans rather than just "pretty"! BTW, Miller's book and video are a nice place to start. I learn a bit from them that proved useful in building my prototype as well as determining changes I wanted to make before starting on the "real deal".