PDA

View Full Version : thoughts about the new Stanley 92?

matt braun
04-29-2010, 1:16 PM
Has anyone bought the new Stanley S.W. No. 92 rabbet/shoulder/chisel plane (~$120 at Highland and others)? What do you think of it? Is a rabbet plane among your 10 most used planes (I love/hate to ask a leading question like this)?

Jim Koepke
04-29-2010, 1:54 PM
Has anyone bought the new Stanley S.W. No. 92 rabbet/shoulder/chisel plane (~$120 at Highland and others)? What do you think of it? Is a rabbet plane among your 10 most used planes (I love/hate to ask a leading question like this)?

Here is a post of mine on shoulder planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119301

It is more about used shoulder planes.

I am not familiar with the new #92. It looks to have a thicker blade than the original. I did a quick search and have not found any specifications.

If someone is doing a lot of tenon joinery, then a rabbet plane may be among their 10 most used.

I use my #93 shoulder plane a lot to cut a very shallow rabbet on the tail board when cutting dovetails.

If one wanted to limit their plane ownership to 10 planes, then a rabbet plane would be one to have. Not necessarily a shoulder type rabbet.

jim

Zach England
04-29-2010, 2:49 PM
FYI, Veritas medium shoulder plane is only 1/16 narrower, cost is $175.

I know nothing about this, but I do have a new Stanley 90 and the machining is accurate and the finish is nice. The 90 is not the msot useful plane, but that is not the point.

Jim Belair
04-29-2010, 3:40 PM
If one wanted to limit their plane ownership to 10 planes, then a rabbet plane would be one to have. Not necessarily a shoulder type rabbet.

jim

If not a shoulder type rabbet do you mean then Jim a block type rabbet or a moving fillester type rabbet amoung that group of 10?

Jim B

Oops- missed the part about tenon joinery so I guess you mean block rabbet

Frank Drew
04-29-2010, 4:46 PM
If someone is doing a lot of tenon joinery, then a rabbet plane may be among their 10 most used.

I agree with both those propositions.

Tony Shea
04-29-2010, 5:44 PM
If one is using a lot of mortise and tenon joinery (which I do) then a shoulder plane is an absolute must IMO and is one of my top 10 used planes, maybe even higher. I also use it for some other small stuff if it's handy where a chisel might be used to clean something up such as dado's and such. I also would not reccomend the Stanley 92 at that price when the LV and LN is out there for just a few more well spent $'s. And out of those two I would buy the LV as it is more comfortable to my hand. But then again I don't have any experience with the new Stanley 92 and am just basing my opinion on an older one I've aquired. The LV really outshines my 92 in every respect.

Tim Lawson
04-29-2010, 9:38 PM
I'd second what Tony Shea says about the Lee Valley Rabbett / Shoulder planes. Not only do they sit well in the hand, but I really like the alignment grub screws - they make it really simple to align the blade. For any of the Stanley's you have to use a plane hammer (carefully) to align blades.

If you do go for a Stanley you need to be careful about which slot in the blade you set the traveller (on depth adjuster) if the pressure screw is not over the traveller you can flex the blade up from the frog!

Plus the blades on the Stanleys tend to be a little too wide and you'll need to file / grind them down to fit so that you can use the plane in either direction on a shoulder.

Correction: I re-read the thread. My comments about the Stanley refer to the prior generation but I stand by the comment about being careful about where the traveller sits.

Jim Koepke
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
If not a shoulder type rabbet do you mean then Jim a block type rabbet or a moving fillester type rabbet amoung that group of 10?

Jim B

Oops- missed the part about tenon joinery so I guess you mean block rabbet

It really depends on the type of work one will be doing. If you will be making a lot of rabbets for panels, then a plane like a Stanley #78 or equivalent would be in order.

If one is doing lap joints, then a rabbet block might be more useful.

Most of these planes can do double duty with little effort. Then when possible one can pick up the specialty plane to make the work a little easier or more productive.

jim