PDA

View Full Version : Pens - Run of the Mill

James Combs
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Here are a few recent pens turned over the past week or so. Critiques Welcome. All are finished with one coat of thin CA. A couple coats each of Crystal Coat and Hut Stick wax.:) They are pretty much run of the mill pens.

This is a gold Wall Street II in walnut. It is similar to another one I did in walnut but the walnut is darker and more figured.

This one is a gold slimline in light figured maple.

Another slimline but in copper and using the same cedar as the bowl in my "Crack Pot" post.

149428 149430
If there is any uniqueness to these it is these two. Both are made from old KY tobacco sticks. The first is wormy hickory and the second is old oak. If you sniff real hard you can smell the tobacco gum still in them.:D:rolleyes:

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
All are nice, but I am drawn to the last two - more for the story behind them. I have a bunch of the old, hand split, tobacco sticks. Over the years, I have seen several different uses of them in craft projects, but never pens - very unique!

Scott Lux
04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
You must run a nicer mill that I do. Maybe there's nothing extraordinary about them, but there's nothing wrong with them either. Very nice.

James Combs
04-29-2010, 2:15 PM
All are nice, but I am drawn to the last two - more for the story behind them. I have a bunch of the old, hand split, tobacco sticks. Over the years, I have seen several different uses of them in craft projects, but never pens - very unique!

These are from the hand split versions although there are probably as many sawed ones in the pile that I got these from as there are hand split ones. I could get a better yield from the sawed ones but the hand splits looked older. The hand splits tend to be thin and not thick enough for pen blanks.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 5:46 PM
I understand the concept of 'we are all our own worst critic' and tend to do the same on my work - but these pens look great! You should be proud of the fit and finish on each of them!

Nice work James! Thanks for sharing!