PDA

View Full Version : Sears is merging with Kmart: Any opinions as what will happen to the tools?

Bob Weisner
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Hi:

I just read on the nbcnews website that Sears will be merging with Kmart. :eek: Anyone got any opinions as to what is going to happen to the Craftsman line of tools that Sears sells? What about their bench tools?

Thanks,

Bob

Keith Christopher
11-17-2004, 12:14 PM
I think it would be stupid for Sears/Kmart to so anything with the craftsman line, it's a namesake. Would be STUPID to change them IMHO. we'll see I guess.

Marc Spagnuolo
11-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I suspect that this is a merger that will be invisible to consumers. I doubt either store will change much in their offerings.

John Gregory
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
I agree with Marc. They formed a new "holding" company. That company owns both Sears and KMART now. I just hope the new owners of KMART clean up their stores. That is why the wife and I do not shop there. In our area, the stores are poorly maintained.

Mark J Bachler
11-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Sears has been buying up closed K mart stores for a couple of years now. Maybe they'll inlarge their tool centers as part of their Great Indoors campaign.

Ken Garlock
11-17-2004, 12:59 PM
I'll bet it is just a "merger" in name only, and actually a buy-out.. Just like Bank One and Chase. Within a year of two, Bank One will only be an item of historical interest. :(

Michael Stafford
11-17-2004, 1:02 PM
Personally I seldom if ever consider Sears any more for tool purchases. In my opinion the quality has left the Caraftsman line. I no longer own any Craftsman tools except for some clamps.

Any body that will put a laser on a saber saw is not serious about tools...

Bob Aquino
11-17-2004, 1:03 PM
I dont think it will be anything bad for the tool line. If anything, I see it as two large retailers that have been having their clocks cleaned by Wally world joining forces to increase thier buying leverage with suppliers.

There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business. They also succeeded in turning the tables on the manufacturer-retailer relationship. They became so big that they can dictate terms to their suppliers and the suppliers knuckle under or go under. So if Sears and Kmart can combine forces and take a lesson or two from walmart, who knows where it will go.

Greg Mann
11-17-2004, 1:11 PM
I dont think it will be anything bad for the tool line. If anything, I see it as two large retailers that have been having their clocks cleaned by Wally world joining forces to increase thier buying leverage with suppliers.

There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business. They also succeeded in turning the tables on the manufacturer-retailer relationship. They became so big that they can dictate terms to their suppliers and the suppliers knuckle under or go under. So if Sears and Kmart can combine forces and take a lesson or two from walmart, who knows where it will go.
Bob,

It just goes to show that we need to understand the importance of our buying decisions. I have had one over-riding guideline in my purchases for years. Don't reward mediocrity. There is nothing patriotic about buying American Made if it is junk, and there is nothing smart about buying Chinese if it is junk either.

Greg

Rich Konopka
11-17-2004, 1:16 PM
There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business.
I Tivo'd it last night as well as the 2 hour show on CNBC which was very interesting.

Sears has merged with Kmart Holding which now is known as Sears Holding. There is an excellent article about the new chairman Edward Lambert on Businessweek's site (http://businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2004/nf20041117_5003_db016.htm). Lambert is being touted as the next Warrent Buffet. It will be a good thing for Sears and Kmart and be even better for us consumers. I mean woodworkers.

Dennis Peacock
11-17-2004, 1:21 PM
I have worked with Sears as one of our customers for 5 years now. Nothing like one "sinking ship" to buy another "sinking ship". JMHO!!!!

I don't shop nor buy from Sears or KMart any more and haven't for several years. :rolleyes:

Randy Meijer
11-17-2004, 1:30 PM
Craftsman will become Kraftsman!!:D :D :D :D

John Miliunas
11-17-2004, 1:31 PM
Hmmmm...Maybe add a line of Martha Stewart tools? A special line of pick-axes, saws and drills? In pink, of course! :D Or get a new line from the same places that supply HF and brand name them Crafts-Mart? :rolleyes: Heck, the possibilities are endless! :) :cool:

Dan McLaughlin
11-17-2004, 1:33 PM
There were two interesting facts that I have heard this morning about this "merger". It really isn't a merger - KMart is buying Sears. Secondly, the "merged" company will be the 3rd largest retailer in the country behind # 1 WalMart (which I knew) and #2 HomeDepot (which I didn't know). Kroger now falls to fourth. I don't shop at WalMart, Kmart or Sears (except for their Sears Hardware). As a matter of fact, I haven't been in the Mall in a year - shop mostly on-line (UPS and FedEx love and hate us :D )

Rich Konopka
11-17-2004, 1:37 PM
Craftsman will become Kraftsman!!:D :D :D :D
Craftsman will become Martha Stewart Tools :p

Donnie Raines
11-17-2004, 1:43 PM
I guess we can pick up some JoeBoxer boxer's, some Martha Stewart home interiors and swing through the craftsman isles all in one stop.....not bad......I wonder if there will be any blue light specials on tools... :D

Matthew Poeller
11-17-2004, 1:44 PM
I was thinking that since K-Mart is in great with Martha Stewart maybe they will come up with a "Martha Stewart in the Shop" series of tools. Instead of your table saw being one of the more traditional green or white colors now you can have petal pink and baby blue. Functional and Pretty all in one.

John Miliunas
11-17-2004, 1:46 PM
I guess we can pick up some JoeBoxer boxer's, some Martha Stewart home interiors and swing through the craftsman isles all in one stop.....not bad......I wonder if there will be any blue light specials on tools... :D

ROFLMAO! :D Donnie, I forgot all about the blue light specials! :) :cool:

Dan Gill
11-17-2004, 3:01 PM

Years ago, one of my cousin's neighbors, a woman of - shall we say - poor reputation, put in a blue porch light. All the neighborhood kids called her "The Blue Light Special" for a long time after that. When their mothers couldn't hear them, of course.

Michael Stafford
11-17-2004, 3:13 PM
Wallyworld is an institution. I'm not sure whether good or bad. I read recently that 90 million Americans shop there every week. I think that is an icredible statistic. I never shop there, avoid driving by the place. I haven't been in a K-Mart in years. Last time I was at the beach and needed a cooler and it was closest. I don't consider any of the big three for tool purchases.

Donnie Raines
11-17-2004, 3:51 PM
ROFLMAO! :D Donnie, I forgot all about the blue light specials! :) :cool:
I was really young when they were around. I recall all the little old ladies running, knocking stuff out on their way to see what was on sale when that light would go off.....
.....could you see a bunch of chubby, short..and tall...men running through the tool isles when that light goes flashing...... :D :D :D

Donnie Raines
11-17-2004, 3:52 PM
Years ago, one of my cousin's neighbors, a woman of - shall we say - poor reputation, put in a blue porch light. All the neighborhood kids called her "The Blue Light Special" for a long time after that. When their mothers couldn't hear them, of course.
Sounds like a few girls I knew when I was growing up..... :D :rolleyes:

Bob Weisner
11-17-2004, 4:02 PM
Since Kmart is buying out Sears, what will this mean to the lifetime warranty on the Craftsman hand tools? Would Kmart still continue a lifetime warranty and free replacement of any Craftsman hand tools?

Thanks,

Bob

Donnie Raines
11-17-2004, 4:11 PM
Since Kmart is buying out Sears, what will this mean to the lifetime warranty on the Craftsman hand tools? Would Kmart still continue a lifetime warranty and free replacement of any Craftsman hand tools?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob it appears to be a mutual deal...meaning one is not buying out more then the other. The bulk of the operation will still be based out of Chicago...Sears headquaters. Of coarse, this does not mean they will continue the warranty...but I am sure they will.....

Keith Christopher
11-17-2004, 4:17 PM
From MSN : Kmart to buy Sears for 11B. not a merger.

Donnie Raines
11-17-2004, 4:18 PM
From MSN : Kmart to buy Sears for 11B. not a merger.
Fox says Sears and K-mart to merge......... :rolleyes:

Oh well....... ;)

Dan Racette
11-17-2004, 4:18 PM
It was kind of wierd finding out here at the same time as at work!

Kent Cori
11-17-2004, 4:53 PM
My guess is that little good will come of this. I certainly don't think we'll see an improvement in Craftsman tool quality or the selection and doubt strongly that we'll see a reduction in price. My real expectation is that some or all of these parameters will actually decline.

Michael Cody
11-17-2004, 5:38 PM
Thinking this through, you are looking at 2 franchises with much different markets and customer bases.... I don't think you will see that much difference going forward. The difference will be in the back-end, consolidating IT systems, ordering systems, warehousing, etc... in retail the real point of fact (and wally world is great at this) ... if you can market it, it better be on the shelf when they come to buy it or you won't succeed. That is where Sears & KMart as well as some others have really been hit by Walmart.

On the issue of tools I wouldn't be surprised in a women's based line of tools. For those of you who got your recent Amazon tool catalog for Xmas .. check out the Barbra K tool line.. it's a great marketing idea, think how many women are doing home improvement, etc.. that is where the business is. We might think it's woodworking (personal bias/blindness?) .. but you don't see many BORG sized pure woodworking stores around do you? That is why craftsman is still a force because face it... lots of "Craftsman is a toy snobs" don't want to admit that most home improvement projects for the average joe or josephine can be done just fine with a your basic craftsman tools and it's going to last just fine for occasional use while all fitting on their Sears Charge. They can buy on a Sunday afternoon whilst at the mall along with the latest clothes fashions. The tools don't need to be the best because basically that is not the market they are after. They need to competent and reasonably priced. Sears makes it easy for you give them money. If Craftsman doesn't consider a lighter/smaller better fitting and reasonable price tool line aimed at women who do home improvement -- they are missing a prime target that is dead on to their demographic. You don't need a titanium framing hammer to put up a shelf, the basic 10$ stanley or craftsman will do fine. Same with all those 24v 600$ DewaMakitHitachi cordless tool kits. The basic 12v 30-50$ drill will just fine!

The only craftsman tool in my house is the 6 volt 10 year or older craftsman cordless drill my wife use for all her crafts, curtain rods, and other home improvement stuff she does (because she says I never seem to get around to it);) etc. Why, because it's light, it's drives screws and drills small holes fine and she likes it.

Chuck Fischer
11-17-2004, 5:56 PM
When it comes to woodworking I can see why you guys might rip on craftsman tools, they haven't offered anything really decent in years. But what about their wrenches and wratchets and all the mechanic tools they offer? I mean how many of us have access to a snap on dealer or a mac tool guy? Where am I going to go to get a breaker bar or a 3/4 impact socket?

I've used craftsman tools for years, and sure the Mac and Snapon tools are nicer, but they also cost like 5 times what you can get a craftsman for, and how many of us need anything better than a craftsman screw driver or socket wrench?

When it comes to woodworking tools though, like I said, I'll go with what you guys reccomend, and what the mags seem to show perform better. I read reviews and talk to people who use the tools and find out what I can aford and go for the best I can aford.

Chuck

Norman Hitt
11-17-2004, 6:44 PM
When it comes to woodworking I can see why you guys might rip on craftsman tools, they haven't offered anything really decent in years. But what about their wrenches and wratchets and all the mechanic tools they offer? I mean how many of us have access to a snap on dealer or a mac tool guy? Where am I going to go to get a breaker bar or a 3/4 impact socket?

I've used craftsman tools for years, and sure the Mac and Snapon tools are nicer, but they also cost like 5 times what you can get a craftsman for, and how many of us need anything better than a craftsman screw driver or socket wrench?

Chuck

Chuck, I basically feel the same way as you. As to Hand Tools, I do have quite a few Snap On tools, aquired for the Sometimes "Twisting Wrenches" Periods during my career in the Aviation industry, Buuuut... I've got a Lot of Craftsman Wrenches that I've used for many years.

The thing I haven't liked for the past few years about Sears though, especially when it comes to Wrenches, Screwdrivers, etc. is that you had better be Darned Sure it says "Craftsman" on them and not "Sears", if you want decent tools. (You might have guessed that, yes, I got Burned early on by that Scam when a Salesman said, Oh, that's just the way they are labeling them now and I was stupid enough to swallow it). They are very clever sometimes in how they label and display them among the real Craftsman tools, and the Sears labled ones are pure Junk, and DO NOT have a lifetime replacement warranty, and when they first started this, they wouldn' even take them back if the package had been broken, (at least at our store here). They are also pretty good anymore at taking things like mid level quality Drillbits, etc. and pricing them like they were from top of the line Mfrs.

For these reasons, I rarely shop there anymore, and when I do, I'm Very Careful what I buy, and for sure, WW Power Tools are not among my purchases.

Cheers.......Norm

Ron Jones near Indy
11-17-2004, 7:01 PM
KMart will sell Craftsman and Kenmore---Sears will sell Martha Stewart "stuff".

Bob Aquino
11-18-2004, 9:39 AM

I posted this before lots of the details from the merger made the news. Its not a merger but a buyout by kmart. What is interesting is that they will most likely ride on the sears name and dimisih the KMart brand. Kmart has many strip mall locations and sears is located mainly in shopping malls. Shopping mall traffic is down, strip malls is up. Sears wanted to expand but was limited in capital. Very likely they will rebrand more than a few choice KMart locations as sears stores.

Both stores have some name reconginzed brand lines that could do with some better marketing. Its too early to tell, but in 5 years, the retail landscape could be very different...or not. I would just as soon see some competition to Wally world which would help the consumer as well as the manufacturers and I don't just mean the chinese.

Randy Meijer
11-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I don't understand big business at all, I just make sawdust. How is it that a company which recently went through bankruptcy has billions of dollars to buy Sears???:confused:

Betsy Yocum
11-18-2004, 1:31 PM
I think that only time will tell how this will all work out. But I do see that some of what K-Mart sells will improve the lines at Sears and some of what Sears sells will improve the lines at K-Mart. However, I do agree that the tools labled as Sears brand stink - craftsman is the way to go with handtools for us average joes and jills. I have craftsman handtools that belonged to my uncle from very, very long ago and they are still like new.

I really don't know if they can come up with the line of tools people talk about aimed at women. Honestly a hammer is a hammer. You go to the store look at what you need, feel it, swing it a bit - if its to heavy you put it back and get the next smaller one. No woman I know in her right mind would buy a table saw based on it's color - pewter gray, green, yellow or banish the thought pink. The battery driven tools the same way - I know guys that don't like the bigger battery tools because they are heavy. You get what you are comfortable with. I can't imagine buying a 3/8" socket wrench just because its in a package labeled for women. You can bet if its made for a woman the price will be higher. It doesn't take you long if you shop at all to see that things that are made similar for men and women will cost the woman more - i.e. jeans! I could never understand why my brother could get two pair of jeans when I could only get one pair for the same money. I finally caught on - my jeans were women's jeans. Ha!

Ok enough ranting about women's tools - I just don't think they really exist although I'm sure the right marketing will make a killing saying they do.

just my two cents.

Betsy

Byron Trantham
11-18-2004, 3:38 PM
To quote from an old Chicago tune, "Does anybody really care?" ;)

Rich Konopka
11-18-2004, 6:49 PM
Ok so it isn't Martha Stewart Tools. This is more fitting. From another forum.

aurelio alarcon
11-19-2004, 7:46 AM

There was a Frontline special on last night on PBS that looked at walmart and how it has changed the retail landscape. Very interesting show. How many folks remember walmarts "Buy American" campaign? Well guess what, most of what they sell on the shelves now is all chinese and they are reaping profits like nobody's business. They also succeeded in turning the tables on the manufacturer-retailer relationship. They became so big that they can dictate terms to their suppliers and the suppliers knuckle under or go under. So if Sears and Kmart can combine forces and take a lesson or two from walmart, who knows where it will go.I saw this show. It waws an interesting episode of Frontline. Amazing the power this comnpany yields! Unfortunately, in my opinion, it limits the consumers choices.

aurelio alarcon
11-19-2004, 8:05 AM

When it comes to woodworking tools though, like I said, I'll go with what you guys reccomend, and what the mags seem to show perform better. I read reviews and talk to people who use the tools and find out what I can aford and go for the best I can aford.

Chuck
Hey man, I get great results from all my Craftsman tools. Maybe a lot of of their tools were of poor quality before I started buying them. But I have done pretty decent comparisons on their Pro line vis-a-vis other professional brand tools and my Craftsman tools are extremely competitive. Speaking of magazines, Wood magazine has included Craftsman's new table saw line in their "Shop Proven " products article. They gave it 4 stars out of 5. That's not bad for a 650 dollar hybrid table saw. So I would say that they are indeed offering decent tools. But what can I say, although I own other brands,... I'm a Craftsman junkie.