PDA

View Full Version : No. 3 "A Real Crack Pot"

James Combs
04-29-2010, 9:51 AM
I call this "A Crack Pot" by "A Crack Pot". This is my 3rd "larger" (then pens) turning. It's diameter is 4.75", height = 2-5/8", and wall thickness is 1/8" to 3/16". Wood is eastern cedar from a friends farm. A tree naturally felled two or three years ago that we sawed up. The finish is one coat of thin CA, one coat of crystal coat and one coat of hut wax stick.
BTW the fact that it resembles a spittoon is purely coincidental. No resemblance intended. :D

This photo shows the main reason I turned this piece. Not the rectangular shaped light color areas in the middle of the red. Reminds me of oriental ship sails.:D

Rotated 90*. Note the black line at the bottom. More on that later.

This is opposite the first side. Not quite as rectangular but still unique.

Another dark line. "Later"

The inside. Purists may not but I consider this a semi hollow form since the inside follows the contour of the outside (within a 1/16"). The minimum diameter of the opening is much smaller then the maximum diameter of the the inside (my definition of hollow form :D) After all it is only my third try.:rolleyes:

It is now later! Had to get to it sometime. Both sides in the light areas have major cracks.:( They are filled with CA and are flush with the surface so you can't feel them. I had to do something because I wanted to salvage the unique rectangular patterns. The LOML thanks it is the most beautiful thing she has ever seen but I think she is a little prejudice.:D

David Warkentin
04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, I certainly like it too. David

Roland Martin
04-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Very nice color & patterns James. I would have filled the cracks also, have to save that one! Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Looks great to me! Love the color! Nice form as well! I can see why your wife really likes it!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
JD, I too, see the sails!! Pretty neat bonus on this one. Beautiful color, and nice work. Will I see you at the BAW meeting next week????

dan carter
04-29-2010, 4:10 PM
You did a good job. I like the color variation. It really stands out.

Bob Haverstock
04-29-2010, 4:16 PM
James,

Very nice! Cedar can be a pain. Sometimes you have to pay with cracks to get the beautiful color and topography.

Bob

Bill Bolen
04-29-2010, 4:27 PM
Pretty piece with loads of character and color. I turn a lot of Cedar and that smiley face crack in the sap wood happens quite often. Just gotta deal with, it just like you did, and keep going...Bill..

Richard Madison
04-29-2010, 4:48 PM
Very pretty piece.