PDA

View Full Version : What-cha-ma-call-it?

Tom Winship
04-29-2010, 9:48 AM
Does anyone know the name of the toy we used as kids that has a wooden disc with two holes just off of center. String is threaded through the two holes and around dowels on each end so that it is about 12" wide. By whirling the disc and winding up the string, one can then pull the ends apart so the string/disc unwind. Then it is allowed to rewind in the opposite direction before pulling again. It makes a little "whirring" noise and can be kept going for some time.
I realize this is not a good description, but hopefully someone will catch on. Have to build 50 of them for a charity sale.

Tom Winship
04-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I finally found it on line. It is called a button whirligig or buzzer.

John Coloccia
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I know what you're talking about. I've never heard it referred to as anything but a "Whirligig", but whirligig seems to be a catch all for "anything who's name we don't know that spins or looks like it spins".

I'm sure if you called them Whirligigs you'll be OK :D

Myk Rian
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't remember what they were called, but we used Moms large buttons.

Tom Winship
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't remember what they were called, but we used Moms large buttons.

Myk, I'm making the "button" from wood. I think there is a science to the size/weight. Used a 2" dia. whitewood and couldn't get it to work. Made a 2 1/4" oak and it worked like a charm. Kinda fun to mess around with something like this and thnk of our ancestors working out their design 100 years ago with trial and error.

Bryan Morgan
04-29-2010, 3:24 PM
Isn't that an Australian telephone? I seem to remember Crocodile Dundee using one to make a call....

Glen Butler
04-29-2010, 4:16 PM
Isn't that an Australian telephone? I seem to remember Crocodile Dundee using one to make a call....

This is a different beast than what the OP is talking about, but they are a fun noise maker.

Ben Franz
04-29-2010, 7:34 PM
I thought it WAS called a "whatchamacallit". Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

Tom Winship
04-29-2010, 7:38 PM
I thought it WAS called a "whatchamacallit". Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

Actually, I meant to say "thing-a-ma-jig". Slipped my senior mind.

Tom Winship
05-01-2010, 6:48 PM
This is a picture of the whizzer or whirligig.