PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, I know, Quit Braggin'

George Guadiane
04-29-2010, 8:37 AM
Well, - ... NO!
I went back to the mulch yard to cut up some sycamore and what I THOUGHT was some more Spanish/Chinese Elm burl:confused: HO HUM:cool:
MOST of the sycamore had what I guess is ring shank, I find that a lot in sycamore, the wood comes apart on the growth rings... So I only ended up with one crotch piece, and even THAT ended up breaking a couple of times while I roughed it out, but I have a solid HF blank now.

The other log section was "small" but when I cut into it, it turned out to be
Curly, Spalted, Ambrosia, Maple BURL!
I roughed out a piece of that too, last night. Both of the rough outs are covered in AnchorSeal till I can get to hollowing them (maybe this afternoon).

About the sycamore; I show a detail shot because sycamore generally doesn't have any figure to speak of, but in the crotch area, there is a fair amount, AND, because the bark is thin, I almost NEVER find bark inclusions in them. So, they make nice vase hollowform blanks (IMHO).

I also included a detail of the burl bumps (don't wanna hear - "no pictures? It didn't happen!" :eek:

Allen Neighbors
04-29-2010, 8:52 AM
Nice save on the wood, George! That sure is some figured sycamore. And how lucky to find that Burl!!
I just put away some sycamore. I didn't find any ring shake in it, but I may as I get to it.
I find a lot of ring shake in Mesquite, in this country... due to the storms and the twisting and bending of the Mesquite during storms.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 9:10 AM
WOW! Great looking wood! Congrats on that spectacular maple burl! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

John Hart
04-29-2010, 9:22 AM
Handy little gold mine you tripped over there George. Can we get pics of the rough-outs? I'm dying to see the early results as they come to shape.

Baxter Smith
04-29-2010, 9:36 AM
Nice mulch yard. Very NICE looking wood! Makes me one to check out the one here in town!

bob svoboda
04-29-2010, 9:39 AM
I'd be braggin' too, George. Nice score!!

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 9:41 AM
George, that maple is fantastic!! Just the kind of wood I would love to get hold of - very nice! Sycamore ain't bad either.:D

George Guadiane
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks to all you envious people (and the ones that are just glad for me).

Nice save on the wood, George! That sure is some figured sycamore. And how lucky to find that Burl!!
I just put away some sycamore. I didn't find any ring shake in it, but I may as I get to it.
I find a lot of ring shake in Mesquite, in this country... due to the storms and the twisting and bending of the Mesquite during storms.

I find that sycamore splits between the heart and sap wood about 90% of the time. This stuff was splitting all over the place. I cut one blank and left it, because when I went to put it in the truck it had already come apart a LOT!

Handy little gold mine you tripped over there George. Can we get pics of the rough-outs? I'm dying to see the early results as they come to shape.

I didn't trip over this one, I stop everywhere I see a collection of logs/stumps/chainsaws and try to get material.
I'll post pictures this evening of the profiles at least.

Nice mulch yard. Very NICE looking wood! Makes me one to check out the one here in town!

I suggest that everyone check places like this, lumber yards, logging sites, if you see a burl in a yard, knock on the door and ask to buy it. I have a 5 year supply of wood, two years to turn it and more seems to come every day... It's PATHETIC.

Roland Martin
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
One heck of a find George, Happy Turning!

Ken Hill
04-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Wish they had recycling here. Wood around here heads straight to the splitter! Great save!

Rick Hutcheson
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
And is all I seem to find here right now is walnut. I have over twice this much on hand then had to cut this tree down yesterday. My cup runneth over, but I would like to find some other woods too.http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/Lathe/MoreWalnut.JPG

charlie knighton
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
nice find, George

Jeff Fagen
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Rick if you have to much of that walnut I can trade something I have to much of when I come down to visit Ma in Des Moines.

Rick Hutcheson
04-29-2010, 2:03 PM
Jeff I am sure we can work someting with trading some wood. Let me know when you are headed this way again.