PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grinder features

Rob Horton
11-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on what type of bench grinder I should buy and what features it should have (variable speed, etc).

Any thoughts?

Thanks Creekers!

Mark Singer
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Variable speed 8 inch...Delta makes a nice one.

Carl Eyman
11-17-2004, 12:31 PM
I bought the Woodcraft 1750 rpm 8" last year and the Wolverine jig. No regrets. I've heard people say it vibrates, but mine doesn't. Considering its price, less than $100, I think it is a good buy.

Bob Aquino
11-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I bought the Woodcraft 1750 rpm 8" last year and the Wolverine jig. No regrets. I've heard people say it vibrates, but mine doesn't. Considering its price, less than $100, I think it is a good buy.

I have that grinder as well. It comes with 2 good white wheels which would cost extra over what most other machines come with. The slow speed means that you wont ruin the temper on your tools as easily as on 3450 rpm grinders. Downside is that the tool rests that come with it suck. Mine doesnt vibrate a lick.

Bruce Gray
11-17-2004, 1:43 PM
I have three bench grinders:
- 3450 rpm with gray wheels
- 1750 rpm with 3/4" white wheels
- 1750 rpm with 1" white wheels (from Woodcraft)

For just brute force grinding of a chunk of steel, where I don't care about overheating, the high speed grinder is the tool to use. But for delicate work of a cutting tool, the low speed grinders are much easier to use...the heat build up is much less. I also much prefer the wider 1" wheels.

Woodcraft also sells a two speed grinder (1750/3450) for only a little more money. To me though, that is not of value. I prefer the white wheels on a low speed grinder, and gray wheels for high speed.

Rob Horton
11-17-2004, 1:49 PM
Well I will primarily be using one for sharpening things. Stuff like that. To be honest, I've never really considered having a bench grinder around until the other day my wife came to me and asked, "Honey, what kind of things do you want in a bench grinder?".

So never being one to turn down a power tool, I thought I'd better ask my fellow Creekers some advice.

Sounds like I need to go with a variable speed model, whatever I do. Sounds like that would be a good starting point.

David LaRue
11-17-2004, 11:55 PM
I too have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. Ironically One-Way recommends a high speed grinder with blue wheels over the slow speed ones. Based on my limited experiance with the slow speed one ( I just set it up with the Wolverine Jig), it seems to work just fine for me, and I can see the need to grind faster.

I also have a high speed 6" and a slow speed wet grinder. :)
David

Brian Austin
11-18-2004, 12:33 AM
The only advantage 1750RPM has over 3500RPM is it's less likely to overheat an edge from staying too long in one place or not quenching as you're sharpening.

I've got a Delta 8" 3500RPM with a Oneway jig, one stock gray wheel and a pink? wheel (can't remember at the moment). I sharpen all my turning tools on it and use it for the beginning of my planes and chisels. Fast, light movements are generally all that's needed with the right wheels. Some wheels also burn cooler (I don't remember the colors because the wheels last so long).

Variable speed is probably a nifty feature but I seriously doubt I'd ever use it, personally. If I'm standing at the grinder that long, my technique needs some work, not the grinder. ;)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Now I am not the expert, but the guy who moderates the Practical Machinist web site says that the 1750 rpm grinders were developed to give maximum effect for grinding wheels and that is the speed which will do the best job. He also maintains that the white wheels are great for those who aren't willing or able to maintain the wheels as they should be. Overheating is caused by build up in the stones and if they are regularly cleaned and shaped with a diamond dresser when they should be dressed and squared there is little need for white slower cutting stones. He makes a very convincing argument about the costliness in time and steel of using the wrong speed and the wrong wheels combined with the failure to keep the stones in the proper shape. Just telling what I have read, folks. I don't provide the salt.(-;