PDA

View Full Version : few more bud vases

alex carey
04-29-2010, 2:40 AM
As I head to the end of the school year I don't have a ton of time at the lathe, its always an hour here or an hour there and these things are super easy and fun to turn so ive been doing a lot of them.

1. Can't remember the name of this wood, its in my front yard, but its ugly so I figured I'd experiment with ebonizing, this was my first time doing it. I kept putting on coats but it kept fading after it dries so finally I put a coat of walnut oil after ebonizing and it finally kept its color.

2. just another eastern white cedar.

3. Bradford Pear.
4 & 5 are Juniper. I love the smell of this stuff. Also bought some class inserts for them. The ones I bought fit these nicely but don't fit the other bud vases.

C & C welcome

Alex

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2010, 8:14 AM
Really nice vases Alex. I got some of the glass inserts at a auction the other day. The guy was a woodworker. Thought I might give one a try with the insert.

Mike Willeson
04-29-2010, 9:08 AM
Very nice Alex. I agree that those bud vases are kind of fun to turn and are quick little projects to give you a break from a hectic schedule.

Other than the ebonizing, what did you finish them with?

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 9:16 AM
Alex - nice variety of vases! All of them look pretty good but the first one really stands out - not because of being ebonized but because it looks like the grain has more of a burl type of swirl to it. Very interesting!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

John Hart
04-29-2010, 9:19 AM
I like your style Alex. There's something nicely contemporary, mixed with rustic that allows them to be placed in any decor. I think you've hit a winner.

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 9:39 AM
Alex, very clean and attractive! And, sometimes doing a uniform cylinder can be a little tricky - you did good here. Like Steve, the darker one is the more attractive to me, but all are nice.

Roland Martin
04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Really nice Alex. The Juniper really catches my eye. Nice finish.

Quinn McCarthy
04-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Look great ALex.

How big are they?

Seeing you used very light woods do you add weight to the bottoms?

Quinn

alex carey
04-29-2010, 3:16 PM
o wow, surprised the dark one is getting so much praise, my sister said the exact same thing though. I am definitely gonna try my hand at ebonizing this wood again, when its not ebonized its quite ugly.

All but the black one is finished with just a regular food safe bowl finish.

Roland the juniper is definitely my favorite, I can't get enough of that stuff, its a bit soft but the smell is just so intoxicating and it gets a hint of that purple grain mixed in with red that I just love.

Quinn, they are all in the 8"-12" range, the juniper being the tallest and the white cedar being the shortest. They definitely aren't meant for big flowers like sunflowers, those are far too heavy. The inserts only go about 4" deep and they are all hollowed to about 6-8" so there is generally a bit of weight at the bottom. Still, the flowers need to be pretty small.

Joe Aliperti
04-29-2010, 3:33 PM
These are great! The juniper and cedar ones are my favorite.