PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find the value of a Delta Homecraft TS?

Doug W Swanson
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Hey all,

I knew this was inevitable but I'm sad to report that I have to sell my Delta Homecraft 34-500 table saw.

Some of you will say "What's the big deal? That saw is 50 years old".

Well the TS used to be my grandpa's. After he died in 1982, my uncle ended up with the saw. Then a few years after that, my dad got the saw and it sat in our shed until about 7 years ago. That's when I moved it into my basement and started using it.

It works well but I just knew that I had to upgrade it at some point. Then last week I ran into a great deal on another TS so this one must go.

Where can I find out what the 34-500 is worth? I'm not expecting $1000 for it but I don't want to give it away either.

Thanks!
Doug

Chip Lindley
04-29-2010, 1:10 AM
I know your Delta Homecraft has much sentimental value, but I'm afraid, being an 8" TS, it won't bring a lot. Even Rockwell/Delta 10" contractor TS's don't bring much in this economy.

I found no listings on eBay for Homecraft TS's either current, or in the past 30 days. But, quite a few found on CL, using Tempest to search The best search nationwide.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

All depends if the saw is complete with both cast iron wings, original motor, fence and stand. Any amount over $100 would be a great price. Perhaps you should just hang on to it, unless you really need the space. Best of Luck.

Rick Potter
04-29-2010, 2:34 AM
I agree...don't do it! I gave away my dad's 8" tilting table Craftsman table saw to someone who needed a saw. This was 15 years ago, and I am still regretting it. He got it with money he recieved from the State of Ohio, given to returning WWII veterans in 1946.

I probably would never use it, but in it's way it was a family heirloom.

Rick Potter

Stuart Gardner
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm upgrading to a new Unisaw and have to let my 1996 Craftsman TS go. It doesn't have any sentimental value at all except for the fact that it's my tool and I've used it long and it has served me well. If I had a friend that I could give it away to I would, but nobody I know even wants a TS right now. So I put it on ebay with a 10 day listing and I'll take what I get. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1405110#post1405110

Let somebody have a bargain. What you really want (I think) would be "Free to a Good Home" with an emphasis on the Good Home part. I'd just like to know that my saw went to someone who will actually use it to make special things, rather than go free (or nearly free) to someone that will just turn around and sell it for several hundred more than he paid.

Bob Aquino
04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
As others have mentioned, you won't get that much out of it. It's not a 10" saw, its probably got the original fence and it may or may not need some work. If you put it on the local CL, expect low ball prices. If you want to make top dollar off of it, then you can part it out on the bay and probably get double what you would get for selling the machine as a whole. Its just more trouble and some folks would take offense to breaking up a perfectly good saw with some history behind it.

If you want to see it go to a good home, I would suggest getting an account over at owwm.org and post it in the BOYD forum (bring out your dead). That is their swap and sell. You can post whatever price you want and if it doesnt sell, you can drop it down. At least there, you are putting it in front of guys that appreciate it for what it is and would most likely give it a good home. Just don't go asking for an appraisal over there, it is more than frowned upon.

Stuart Gardner
04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
owwm.org is a MUCH better idea. Might take a while, but if you have the time to wait, it will be more likely to go into good hands.