PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Enclosed form

Mark Burge
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I am still not sure what this wood is. My BIL says he thinks it's ash, but I think it's locust. Either way it came from my parent's farm in KY. The wood was pretty wet when I turned it and it split along the base. I filled it with epoxy tinted with oil paint (lamp black and some yellow to lighten it a bit). The match came out pretty close to the color of the spalt lines. Finish is Carnuba wax over bare wood to avoid yellowing the light wood. C & C welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Mark Hubl
04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Nice Mark. Can't comment on the wood, but it looks purty. With the way you positioned it and it being wet it probably is going to crack some more. Put it in a bag with some of the wet shaving to slow down the drying and it may crack less. Nice shape.

Mark Burge
04-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice Mark. Can't comment on the wood, but it looks purty. With the way you positioned it and it being wet it probably is going to crack some more. Put it in a bag with some of the wet shaving to slow down the drying and it may crack less. Nice shape.
Thanks Mark, I have been watching this one for several days and haven't seen anymore cracks show up. I think I might be kinda late on the bagging option, but it might help. I'll report back on what I decide and what happened.

John Keeton
04-29-2010, 6:27 AM
Mark, good job on the turning. I do think it looks like ash. Locust would tend to be a little darker in color - and HARD depending on how dry it is. Nice spalting! In my limited experience, ash tends to spalt quicker than locust might, too, so that is one more clue.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2010, 8:10 AM
That is a pretty piece. Not sure of the wood but could be ash.

Mike Willeson
04-29-2010, 9:09 AM
Interesting piece to look at. That bowl would look awesome filled with nuts, pine cones, and natural decorations like that.

What are the dimensions?

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2010, 9:13 AM
Looks pretty good to me! I like the form and the way the spalt line stand out on the light colored wood! Nice work Mark! Hope it doesn't crack anymore - looks great as is!

Baxter Smith
04-29-2010, 9:37 AM
Nice looking piece!

Mark Burge
04-29-2010, 9:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Mike, I was thinking something natural would look nice in it too, but I hadn't thought of pine cones. There are some trees around here that have tiny little pine cone like things, I might collect a bunch and put them in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Frank Van Atta
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Very nice piece. I like the color contrast.

David E Keller
04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice looking piece of wood and a pleasing shape as well. Nicely done.

Rob Cunningham
04-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Good looking piece Mark. I don't know what kind of wood it is but it looks nice with the spalting lines. Hope it doesn't crack any more.