PDA

View Full Version : Installing carter products stabilizer on Rikon 10-305 bandsaw

Richard Link
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
After my recent post on the Rikon 10-305 bandsaw, I received several requests for photos on the steps for installation of the stabilizer. Although this is a very easy maneuver to do, I thought I would oblige and post the photos. Hope this is of some use to someone. This also shows some detailed photos of the ball bearing guides that come with the 10-305, in case someone was interested in that information before purchasing the saw.

Photo #1 shows the stock Rikon upper and lower guides, which are removed for the stabilizer installation.

Photo #2: Removal of the lower guide assembly is completed by loosening the three posterior set screws and sliding out the rod holding the guide in place.

Photo #3: Removal of the upper guide assembly is accomplished by loosening a single set screw.

Photo #4: Note that the rod holding the stock upper guide assembly in place is used to hold the new stabilizer in place. Remove rod (in center of photo) and slide into the stabilizer. Remount on the saw and tighten set screw shown.

Photo #5: After tensioning the blade, loosen the set screw in the front of the stabilizer and position the wheel bearing on the blade. Tighten set screw.

Photo #6: Loosen the knob and spring load the blade 1/8" and then tighten in place.

You are done! Simple.

Larry Marley
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
I use this guide on my Rikon 18 as well, it works well for an 1/8" blade.
I don't remove the lower guides, just back them off.

Larry Rasmussen
04-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I got this basically set up in Oct or Nov last year but some health probs pulled me out of the shop and I have yet to try it. The Carter promotional video for the guide is a knock out. I wouldn't expect to get to be nearly as skilled but it does show there is really some potential there. I got the small saw just to have something to cut curves close and easy to the bench. To get the guide to fit the Jet I had to do a bit of filing on a bracket. Not too bad but not drop in.

Here's to nice curves,
Larry R- Seattle

Richard Link
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
I use this guide on my Rikon 18 as well, it works well for an 1/8" blade.
I don't remove the lower guides, just back them off.

As you mentioned, you don't need to remove the lower guides. However, the adjustability of the ball bearing guides on this tiny saw are a bit limited. I was concerned that I couldn't back them off enough to eliminate potential problems. Since I intend to use the saw only with the stabilizer, I felt that removing the lower guides would be advantageous.

Bernie May
05-02-2010, 7:46 PM
Is there some reaseon you can't buy a replacement grooved bearing and replace the original?

David Mann
09-01-2010, 9:40 PM
Does it reduce the max height of wood you can cut with the Rikon 10" ? I need a small saw and have been looking at the 10-305, but that promo video makes this attachment very tempting. Was just wondering if there was any reduction in saw capacity when this is installed.

Van Huskey
09-01-2010, 9:47 PM
Does it reduce the max height of wood you can cut with the Rikon 10" ? I need a small saw and have been looking at the 10-305, but that promo video makes this attachment very tempting. Was just wondering if there was any reduction in saw capacity when this is installed.

You only want the stabilizer on when you are using 1/4" or thinner blades, so reducing the resaw height would rarely be an issue.