PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw purchase

Bill Wyko
04-28-2010, 8:52 PM
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the Grizzly band saw. Any opinions on this model? The vernier to tilt the table is a real clincher for me. The rest of the machine is top notch too as far as I can tell. Eric G. has one and looks top quality.
G0514X2B 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series® Band saw with Brake (http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-3-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Brake/G0514X2B)

Ray Bell
04-28-2010, 9:16 PM
Bill, I have this saw, and have had it now for about three weeks, but unfortunately I can't tell you much about the operation as I haven't really gotten going yet. When it arrived I was right in the middle of an electrical upgrade, and since then other obligations have prevented using this. I can tell you it is very solid, and well made. The tilting table mechanism is top notch. On the one straight cut I have been able to make with it the tracking was dead on. It seems to be very well set up from the factory.
Sorry I can't offer more. Hopefully in the next week or so I can see what this saw will do. In the mean time it is really purdy sitting in the shop. You gotta love the bear cutouts on the wheels;)

Aaron Wingert
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I have the G0514X and have had it for 3 years. I did have a problem with the motor but Grizzly replaced it for me even after the saw was out of warranty.

The saw is incredibly easy to tension. Blade tracking has never been an issue for me. It has gobs of power...So much it scares me. I've joked with friends that if god forbid that saw got ahold of my hand it would pull my entire body through the 2" hole in the table. :p I've used mine to cut everything from small curves in tiny material to huge timber corbels and beams. It also does good at resawing.

I'd recommend the saw and Grizzly all day long.

Bill Wyko
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I can't wait to get it and resaw some veneers on it.

Michael Heffernan
04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I have the G0514X2 with the foot pedal brake. Got it on sale w/ free shipping last August and love it. (also got 14% Bing cashback through the Grizzly ebay store. It's at 8% cashback now, but still worth the rebate. If you don't see the saw on eBay, call Grizzly and ask them if they could put it up for you to buy.) Blades track dead on, plenty of power and nice resaw results.
I use it mostly for resawing and once set up it saws 10-12" boards easily.
I have a set of Timberwolf blades. My experience is that the 3/4" blade leaves a smoother finish than my 1" blade. And a 1" blade is a little tough to get on and off the saw.
The lower rear guide bearing is a little tough to get at for adjusting, but not a big issue for me as I don't often change out the bands.
I like the rack and pinion gearing on the table. I don't often angle the table for cuts, but it makes it easy to square it up to the blade.
The fence is good. Sturdy and versatile. I like the removable two-position aluminum auxiliary fence, which allows for taller stock in one position and very thin stock in the flat positon.
Dust collection is not that great, but I suppose most bandsaws have this shortfall.
I built a mobile base for mine that adds stability to the footprint and rolls easily.
Check out my review of the saw and the mobile base.
You'll be happy with the saw; probably all you'll ever need.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118760

Mobile base
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119068

Vijay Kumar
04-29-2010, 1:23 PM
Dont see any Bing cashback for the last few days. Using both IE and Firefox.

Are the rebate days over?:(

Dennis Lopeman
04-29-2010, 2:41 PM
Same saw I think I want!! Especially after Aaron's very recent issue with the motor and how Grizzly handled it. Big points there!

Dennis Lopeman
04-29-2010, 2:42 PM
In fact - I keep the tabs open on my internet browser, and I have just had that tab open to that exact model for a few days now!!

Michael Heffernan
04-29-2010, 10:22 PM
The cashback is currently 8%. It's still there. Been holding at 8% for a long time now.
If I go to Bing.com and type in "Grizzly Bandsaw", eBay cashback pops-up. I use Firefox.
You can type in some generic searches, like "LCD TV" and eBay should be the first on the search list. Once you click through from Bing to eBay, you can search for anything and the CashBack will be active.

Dont see any Bing cashback for the last few days. Using both IE and Firefox.

Are the rebate days over?:(

Van Huskey
04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Don't forget to order a Laguna Resaw Master or Lennox Tri-master for those veneer resaws!