PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for turning circles?

Tom Winship
04-28-2010, 8:00 PM
I have to make 50 "wheels" 2 1/4" in diameter and 1/4" thick. They cannot have a center hole, so that eliminates several options. I have thought about sandwiching a rough sawn piece between two 3/4" pieces of the same dimension, holding the 1/4" piece by friction and turning to the finished diameter. The weight of the pieces involved is fairly negligible so if it came out of the lathe, any damage would be minimal.

Any ideas?

Dennis Ford
04-28-2010, 8:11 PM
I have not done this, so it might not work.
I would turn a spindle to the correct diameter, then chuck up sections of that (6 -8" long?) and part off the wheels. You might need to build some type of jam chuck or custom jaws to hold the wheels for dressing up the sides.

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 8:14 PM
you could use a chuck attatched to a glue block. a vacuum chuck with a tailstock that has a peice of wood over the point, this will make it so that it wont leave a mark. drill half way through and put a dowel in it and use a chuck, the wheels need axels anyways right?

Tom Winship
04-28-2010, 8:15 PM
Thanks, Dennis, I had considered something similar. Turn a length round, then bandsaw pieces off and sand.

Tom Winship
04-28-2010, 8:17 PM
you could use a chuck attatched to a glue block. a vacuum chuck with a tailstock that has a peice of wood over the point, this will make it so that it wont leave a mark. drill half way through and put a dowel in it and use a chuck, the wheels need axels anyways right?

No, they do not need axles. They are for a string toy that has holes drilled about 1/8" off center. So a center hole would ruin that.

John Keeton
04-28-2010, 8:20 PM
You don't mention if there is any profiling involved or if they are just flat discs. Also, are they to be stained, painted or no finish?

If no profile, and finish is not critical, then what about taking 1/4" flat stock, roughing the pieces round on the bandsaw - oversize a little, and then gluing them together with brown paper between them. Make up a couple of 6-7" pieces and spindle turn them. They should come apart easily, and you can then clean up the glue. Might even be able to use a glue that could be removed easily - 3M adhesive, and use decal remover??

Just some rambling thoughts.

Mike Minto
04-28-2010, 8:51 PM
turner's tape on a faceplate?

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 8:53 PM
you can mount it from the off cent hole, set up a faceplate that has the hole in it at the right spot. then you could use a dowel trought the hole. the tailstock would support the last one.

Ray Binnicker
04-28-2010, 9:01 PM
I would consider using the drill press. Using a bi-metal hole saw without the drill bit installed and the workpiece clamped to the table simply drill out the wheel, relocate the stock, drill another, etc.
Ray Binnicker

John Hart
04-28-2010, 9:32 PM
In this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30438 I had to make a round frame for a magnifying glass. And like Mike Minto pointed out...I used double sided tape to mount it.

Just an option

dan carter
04-28-2010, 9:49 PM
Buy a hole saw, take out the center drill bit, and drill them out on the drill press. Works easy, i do that to make blanks for small clocks that i then turn.

alex carey
04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
+1 for double sided tape, used them for pendants, holds on much strong than one would expect.

Richard Madison
04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
You did not mention the required grain orientation if any, but Dennis probably nailed it in the first reply. Turn a "rolling pin" of the correct diameter. Carefully measure, mark, and partially part off the wheels down to the minimum diameter that the rolling pin will remain stable. Complete the cuts w/ bandsaw and sand.

Alternative: Turn the rolling pin. Using a tablesaw sled that will firmly grip the rolling pin without damage and a good carbide blade, cut off the wheels to desired width.

Mark Burge
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
+1 for Dan's hole saw, that way you will get consistent diameter wheels. The lathe alternatives are going to vary in diameter somewhat no matter how you do it.

Jim Sebring
04-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I've been making pendants lately and use a cheap HF hole saw in my drill press without the drill bit. Run it at low RPMs and have a hose from the dust collector real close.

Alan Huey
04-29-2010, 1:03 AM
Is by far the best alternative

Bob Hamilton
04-29-2010, 1:27 AM
Hi, Tom:
Coincidentally enough, two weeks ago I posted a video of the original process you referred to, sandwiching the piece between two other pieces. The hole saw might be faster and more consistent if the finished cut surface is acceptable. It would certainly be the quickest way to "rough" the circles even if you chose to finish them on the lathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI4dpk7pjA

Take care
Bob

Antonio Martinez
04-29-2010, 7:59 AM
CHeck this out - works great for making circles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI4dpk7pjA&playnext_from=TL&videos=C1Jgj739aGA

Tom Winship
04-29-2010, 8:37 AM
CHeck this out - works great for making circles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI4dpk7pjA&playnext_from=TL&videos=C1Jgj739aGA
Thanks, that was what I had in mind with my first post. Hole saw method appears to be most popular. Will try both and see which is more effective.

Jim Silva
04-29-2010, 8:39 AM
For turning "wheels" I use a bit of sandpaper on a scrap block in my chuck and a non-pointed live center. The sandpaper gives better friction grip.

When I've got to turn multiple (many) rounds of the same size I go with turning a long cylinder to the desired diameter then slice on jig in band saw for exact thickness control.

Tom Winship
04-29-2010, 9:42 AM
Thanks, Bob. Antonio recommended that youtube and it really is very close to what I had in mind. Will try it.