PDA

View Full Version : paint/primer options

Andy Henriksen
11-17-2004, 9:27 AM
I'm building an ice rink in the back yard for the 2nd year. I'll be using plywood and OSB as the frame, and draping a large sheet of plastic to retain the water. LAst year I didn't do anything to the boards, and the brown color absorbed a little too much heat, melting the ice around the edges a bit. I plan to paint the boards white, to help with this. I wanna go CHEAP. It would also be nice if the treatment helped preserve the boards for a few years.

whats my best option:

a. white primer only (will it wear off to quick? not protect enough?)
b. white exterior paint only (probably take more coats, so maybe not cheaper?)
c. prime and paint

Ted Shrader
11-17-2004, 9:35 AM
Andy -

Don't know how much durability you will get from OSB. Would be inclined to recommend primer only.

Could you find a light very color of mis-mixed "OOPS" paint on the cheap as a top coat after you prime it?

Ted

Andy Henriksen
11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
I've been keeping my eye out for the "oops" options, but nothing at the 2 local HD's, the one Lowe's I've looked at is donating all their oops at least through xmas to charities, and I need to check the other Lowe's still (probably the same). At $5/gal, that would definately be ideal.

The OSB was dirt cheap at the "ReUse Ctr" so I couldn't pass it up. Last year was all ply, and I had enough to do the whole rink (and still have it). The OSB will just be maybe to get higher board height, but not to hold back the water so much.

Wes Bischel
11-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Andy,
I'm not sure where you're located, but our local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store salvage shop has a lot of paint for a few bucks a gallon.

FWIW

Wes

Phil Phelps
11-17-2004, 11:51 AM
One, don't buy cheap paint. I don't like the products at HD or Lowes. You can use a white primer only. You can use oil base, my choice, or latex. I'll always recommend going to a real paint store for paints. Now, you know, cure time for primer is a long time. BTW, interior latex "cures" in about a month. Also, you can tint your primer if you like.

Andy Henriksen
11-17-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm definately gonna use cheap paint. the cheaper the better. that's the whole point. This is cheap untreated wood that is gonna be wet and dirty, buried by snow, for several months. Again, my whole goal is to make the wood white for the fewest bucks. And maybe protect it a little from the elements.

Bob Hovde
11-17-2004, 12:34 PM
The "real" paint stores are more likely to have some mistake paint they'll sell at a good price.

Bob

Andy Henriksen
11-17-2004, 1:27 PM
The "real" paint stores are more likely to have some mistake paint they'll sell at a good price.

Bob Ah, Maybe that's what Phil was implying. Good thought. I'll make some calls.

Jason Roehl
11-17-2004, 3:28 PM
Just one thing to keep in mind--exterior oil products typically are little more than food for mildew. You may as well use cheap, because I don't think there are many cheap or even mid-range products out there that will withstand direct ground contact for very long. I wouldn't waste your money on interior paint, either--that would likely not make it through the season. Big box stores also generally have a pretty good selection of mistints, and when you're going cheap, it's all about the same anyway.