PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form, curly maple

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 5:57 PM
here is my latest peice. it is curly maple that came from one of those huge maple crotches i cut up at the begining of last summer. this is not a crotch peice, just very curly. this is yet another turned with just a bowl gouge.,,,well i did rough turn the outside with my new EasyRougher tool (gloat:D)

comments and critiques welcome.
its been awhile since i have posted anything. lots of school work between graduation projects and stuff for college and finding a job. hopefully i will get back into the shop more often in the future.

John Tomasello jr
04-28-2010, 6:08 PM
Beautiful grain good looking form & finish

Richard Madison
04-28-2010, 6:23 PM
That's very nice work Curtis! Glad to hear that you are paying attention to school work though. Education can get you the good job to support the woodturning hobby in fine style.

alex carey
04-28-2010, 6:29 PM
wow thats a ton of curl.

Baxter Smith
04-28-2010, 6:30 PM
Nice looking piece from start to finish.

Robert McGowen
04-28-2010, 6:37 PM
That is a nice job, Curtis, and a great looking piece of wood. Did you turn this and let it dry and re-turn it or just go straight to the finished piece?

GLENN THOMAS
04-28-2010, 6:42 PM
Very nice looking piece.

John Hart
04-28-2010, 6:44 PM
Wow...cool wood!! And nicely executed.

Jack Mincey
04-28-2010, 6:48 PM
Very Nice Curtis. Enjoy your years in college, and take in as much knowledge in as you can.
Jack

David E Keller
04-28-2010, 7:12 PM
That looks good. I can't imagine turning under that shoulder with a bowl gouge!:eek: Great looking piece of wood. Enjoy college.

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 7:35 PM
thanks

i sealed this peice with that sealer that there was some debate about if it was safe or not. the slab cracked a little, but not much. i cut this peice out and then rough turned the outside and it sat for a week or two before i had time to hollow it out. i didnt cover it or bag it. i just left it to sit on my chuck. it was almost dry with my moisture meter when i started.

David, its not that hard to use the bowl gouge for this. the only problem that i have is if the wood is to hard, i cant go as deep because my gouge vibrates and so does my spindle. i have never had a catch on the inside of a peice while hollowing it out.

Allen Neighbors
04-28-2010, 7:50 PM
thanks
David, its not that hard to use the bowl gouge for this. the only problem that i have is if the wood is to hard, i cant go as deep because my gouge vibrates and so does my spindle. i have never had a catch on the inside of a peice while hollowing it out.

Curtis, that is an awesome piece of work... the wood, too! Two thunbs up!
Hollowing under that shoulder with a bowl gouge seems intimidating... well, it is intimidating, to me.:eek:
Which gouge did you use? And when you were cutting under the shoulder, were you turning the flute towards you, and shear scraping?
Or is there some other technique that I need to learn?:confused: Or do I just need more guts?

John Keeton
04-28-2010, 7:50 PM
Curtis, that is a beautiful piece of wood, and you were able to achieve a really deep undercut just using the bowl gouge - slick!! Nice work.

dan carter
04-28-2010, 8:03 PM
Your work on this piece of maple is nice. Sure shows well.

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 8:09 PM
i try rotating the gouge all different ways, it will cut so far at one angle until it stops because the bevel is rubbing or it is trying to cut to much, so i rotate it and then it cuts again, then rotate it back,, i dont know how to explain it very well.
part of the under cut is just the angle of attck, my gouge will touch both sides of the rim at the same time. i just go back and clean it up before sanding.

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 8:11 PM
the next time i turn one, i will try to take pictures as i do it

Allen Neighbors
04-28-2010, 8:20 PM
the next time i turn one, i will try to take pictures as i do it

Thanks for the explanation, Curtis; the pics would be great!:)

Donny Lawson
04-28-2010, 8:53 PM
Nice piece of work. Love the CURL........
Donny

Roland Martin
04-28-2010, 8:55 PM
Excellent job on this piece Curtis. Gorgeous grain, form and finish. Wish you the best in college!

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 8:59 PM
wait till you see the peice i have waiting for me. the curl is in "ribbons" the curl is in streaks, kinda nice neat rows. in each row the curl is "braided", it looks like rows of newly made rope side by side. its a little soft on the one side, so im gonna have some work making it sot all sand away.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2010, 9:59 PM
Very nice looking hollow form Curtis! Great looking wood and finish!

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Really nice piece Curtis. Really nice wood and finish.

Curt Fuller
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Beautiful work Curtis!

Mark Burge
04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Love the finish. What nice curl.

Mark Hubl
04-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Nice form, good shape. Very nice looking wood and finish.

Bill Bolen
04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Great piece Curtis and nice to see you posting your work again...Bill...