PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Plane ID help needed

Bill Wilcox
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi All, I am usually found lurking in the turning forum however I am re-designing my 3rd stall of my garage into a shop and found 2 wooden hand planes. I hope that I can get some information on how old the planes are and how I can do some refinishing on them. One of the planes has some great patina in it and would like some advice as to cleaning these's guys and keep the patina on them. They both have some cracks in the bodies especially around the mouth.
So here is a description of both planes.

1. On the nose of this plane reads "New York Tool Co."
Length: 16"
Width: 2 3/4"
Iron: BD with Auburn Tool Co., Thistle Brand
Wood: I believe it is BE Maple
On the top of the plane near the nose, there is a wooden dowel in it instead of a knob. Is this for a knob?

2. On the nose of this plane reads :Arrow Mamment Works"
Length: 16"
Width: 2 1/2"
Iron: Wilson & Co., Cast Steel

Both of these planes have totes similar to a Stanley metal hand plane if that helps.
Except for the small cracks around the mouth and on the body, these are some nice looking planes. I don't plan on using them but would like to display them in the shop.
Any help on history and refurbishing is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill Wilcox

Robert Rozaieski
04-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Both are wooden jack planes. The New York Tool Co. was bought by the Auburn Tool Co. in Auburn, NY. The dowel on the front is a strike button for tapping with a mallet to back off/loosen the wedge & iron.

The second is Arrowmammet tool co. which I believe was eventually bought out by the Greenfield Tool Co. in Greenfield, MA.

If you Google Auburn Tool Co. and Greenfield Tool Co. you'll find lots of info on both companies. Both are likely from the mid to late 1800s. Wood on both is most definitely beech as it was the most commonly used for making wooden planes at the time. For cleaning them, just give them a good scrub with mineral spirits and some steel wool to clean off the heavy grime. Then give them a good coat of paste wax.

Bill Wilcox
04-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks Bob for the information. WOW mid to late 1800's?? They are in pretty good shape for being that old. As for the cracks in them. would you leave them or would it be a good idea to fill them with CA glue or something else. Or, would it be better to just leave them alone? Is there any value to them?
thanks,
Bill Wilcox

george wilson
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
My memory is hazy on this: Wasn't Auburn made in the Auburn prison ?

David Gendron
04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
My memory is hazy on this: Wasn't Auburn made in the Auburn prison ?
I think I read something like this some where. you might be right George.

Bill Wilcox
04-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, I did a google and found an article from "Fine Woodworking" on this brand of plane and indeed it was manufactured in the auburn Prison.
Really interesting history on some of the old tools I have lying around.

Robert Rozaieski
04-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd leave the cracks alone. Filling them with glue will only devalue them. I wouldn't say they are worth a lot. Wooden jack planes typically sell for anywhere from $5-$50 depending on condition and maker. Auburn and Arrowmammet/Greenfield were large outfits and made a lot of tools so they are common to find. Auburn did indeed use prison labor to make their tools.