PDA

View Full Version : Artcam Pro grayscale question

Zsolt Paul
04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
I know some of you out there use Artcam Pro. I would like to produce grayscale images from the relief(s) where the shading is more consistent. In other words, I'd like all "parts" to have the same white to black gradiation. When I add relief to a bitmap image, often, even if I set the height limit to a low 0.05 for example, the smaller (sub)parts of the design will be 50% gray as its lightest color. Only the larger sections will actually go from white to black. his makes sense b/c hte smaller parts don't have enough "surface" to allow the z height to grow as much as the lager pieces. I figured out that when using vector files, one can choose "consistant height" when adding relief to vectors and that will produce a consistent and even white to black gradiation, even on smaller parts. Has anyone figured out if (and how) this can be done with bitmap images?

Thanks!

Belinda Barfield
04-28-2010, 7:08 AM
You might try posting this over on the CNC forum, there are several Artcam users that post there. You could also send a PM to Michael Kowlczyk. He is very knowledgable about the software. He's also very nice, and always happy to help.

Zsolt Paul
04-28-2010, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the tip Belinda!

Michael Kowalczyk
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Hey Paul, I am in Orlando right now doing a show so I am ArtCamProless right now but yes it does do constant height or Z height limit. your sig does not show ACP as one of your tools. How are you getting your files? A relief in ACP will turn out much different than converting a file in AI or Corel to greyscale. ACP also can limit colors so if you want only 7 shades of grey you can do it. Post a pic here to show where you start and what you end up with and if possible what you would like. do a search here for 3D and you will find several pics already here. copy and paste the link if you find one that is close to your desired look.

Thanks Belinda for your kind words. ;)

and everyone...

Zsolt Paul
04-30-2010, 1:00 PM
Hi Mike,

My neighbor in the industrial park I am at has a large CNC rounter and Artcam Pro and I am working on that and considering if it is something I should invest in. Obv he is a router guy and I am laser.... my goal would be to turn images into grayscale for 3D carving with laser. So far, some success, but it is very different from AI for sure! Faster in so many ways, yet often with unexpected (and undesirable) results.

As per Belinda's recommendation, I posted this in the CNC forum and its easiest if I just put that here:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=139110

Regards!