PDA

View Full Version : LRH Magic Shaper

Joe Jensen
04-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I was intrigued when I first saw the LRH Magic Moulder for a table saw but I had a SawStop and couldn't use one. I recently saw that they now sell a Magic Shaper that takes the same inserts. Does anyone have experience with them? Wonder how tight the tolerances are compared to other insert tooling? thanks....joe

Rick Lizek
04-28-2010, 5:38 AM
The tolerances are as good as any other insert tooling. The shaper head isn't new by a long shot. Hadn't realized the Magic Moulder didn't fit in a Sawstop. The Magic Moulder is a great tool as are the regular moulding heads like Corob.

J.R. Rutter
04-28-2010, 9:27 AM
You can run the MM in a Sawstop if you are creative, but you didn't hear it from me!

I use a heavy gauge solid wire running from the dado brake cartridge up along the cutterhead so that it is close enough to the arbor nut to pick up the current.

Karl Brogger
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I bought one about six months ago to make some arched top raised panel doors. The panel was raised using a 3/8" cove, I did all the square doors with a router, but the way I was did the others couldn't be done with the same way. I've done a few small and simple two pass mouldings with it and it works really well. There's a few plugs that would work well for edging doors as well. Without some serious patience in setup, making some of the complex mouldings they show that can be done would be very time consuming, and not worth the effort in my opinion.

Jim Becker
04-28-2010, 8:12 PM
If they balance that head as well as they do the table saw version, it's going to be a very nice piece of tooling.