PDA

View Full Version : Small engine carb cleaner

Matt Meiser
04-27-2010, 9:47 PM
Anyone recommend a product to run through a small engine (leaf blower) to clean the carb, etc without disassembly? Nothing really wrong with it but it seems like it would be a good idea, kind of like fuel injector cleaner?

Neil Brooks
04-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I like Sea Foam.

My brother likes BG 44K.

I'd recommend a twist of lime with either of 'em, though ;)

Dave Lehnert
04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Over at Lawnsite.com Sea Foam seems to get the most press.

I use some stuff sold at Lowe's in the mower part section. You spray it in the intake of the carb. Call Mower tuneup in a can or something like that. Does it work?????

Terry Welty
04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Sea Foam has been very, very good to me...

Jeff Monson
04-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Matt, I think you will find sea foam works well, I use it in my mowers, boat, weedwacker, ice auger....anything with a motor and I use sea foam. I dont use too many "mechanics in a can" type products, but this one gets my stamp of approval.

Bob Wingard
04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I have always used Sea Foam, but there is a new elixir on the market .. .. "Start Your Engines" .. .. available at Wal-Mart amongst others .. .. supposedly made just for early season motor prep.

Matt Meiser
04-28-2010, 8:07 AM
Do you guys use Sea Foam all the time in your gas, just occasionally in the gas, or use the spray form sprayed into the intake while running?

Tom Godley
04-28-2010, 8:30 AM
Is Sea Foam like PB Blaster?

I have used the PB Blaster -- it definitely works -- I used in on my Honda mower recently with a sticking float. They recommend both a carb squirt and tank squirt for a spring clean out -- I only use it if I have problems.

I have not had any luck using it when the float is so bad that the engine will not run without constant priming -- I have always had to replace the needle valve.

Dave Ogren
04-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I used to use Sea Foam but changed a few years ago to Chevron with Techron. I use to periodically in everything and am very happy and have had no problems at all.

Jim O'Dell
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
You can also buy Techron in a bottle as an additive to use in gas. Not cheap though. About 23.00 per bottle. When I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, Ford had us do that for specific driveability problems. Just add a bottle to a tank of gas to help clean things out. That's why I very rarely use any fuel but Chevron anymore. Jim.

Pat Germain
04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Do you guys use Sea Foam all the time in your gas, just occasionally in the gas, or use the spray form sprayed into the intake while running?

In my vehicles, I sometimes pour some Seafoam into the intake and also pour some into the fuel tank. It works pretty well. For a leaf blower, it would probably help to put some Seafoam into the tank.

You could also squirt some Seafoam into the carb while the engine is running. That would likely help to clean the combustion chamber, but probably not much of the carb internals.

Seafoam is pretty good at cleaning combustion chambers. What I do is pour about half the can into the brake booster vacuum hose while the engine is running. You have to poor slowly and sometimes work the throttle to keep the engine running. Then I shut the engine off and let it sit awhile. I start the engine and give a really good, high winding rev. It produces a white smokescreen which is pretty spectacular. And it does take awhile to blow out all the Seafoam, as well as crud in the combustion chambers.

After a seafoam treatment, my vehicles idle much smoother and perform a little better off the line. I've been doing this for years and it's never caused any problems with the engine or components or the catalytic converter.

Ken Garlock
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Greetings.

When I was working, several of the people in our department liked to play with their vehicles, Jeeps, etc. Their go-to carb cleaner was Berrymans B12 Chemtool (http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=147).

John Hart
04-28-2010, 1:03 PM
Another vote for SeaFoam.
I get mine at AdvanceAutoParts

On my snowblower and lawnmower I just pour a half a can in the gas tank and run it as normal. Keeps 'em purrin just fine.

Dave Lehnert
04-28-2010, 9:01 PM

I only use it in my last 5 gal can of gas for the season, then again first tank in the spring.

Matt Meiser
04-28-2010, 9:17 PM
I picked up some Seafoam at Advance Auto tonight--on sale for $6.99/can.

I also saw Techron in a bottle big enough to treat 20gal. $11.99 regular price.

Peter Stahl
04-29-2010, 8:00 PM
I use Sta-bil (red stuff) in my mower and 2 cycle gas and they always start up after sitting all winter.

Dave Lehnert
04-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I picked up some Seafoam at Advance Auto tonight--on sale for $6.99/can.

I also saw Techron in a bottle big enough to treat 20gal. $11.99 regular price.

A talk show host and owner of a car repair shop on local radio says they did testing on the Techron product and it works very well. But was talking about cars.