PDA

View Full Version : NE Indiana Cherry and Prefinished Ply?

brett gallmeyer
04-27-2010, 9:04 PM
I live in Fort Wayne indiana. My mother recently asked me to redo her kitchen.. I've been working on the design with her for a few weeks. we are getting close to the end of the design phase and I need to start figureing out costs. I found a great supplier for undermount soft close self closeing guides and soft close hinges. But, she decided that she wanted cherry... $$$$

So, Does anyone out there no of a good supplier for Prefinished ply "thinking I might use maple for the interior or get regular cherry ply for the visible exterior ends." I'm also looking for a good supplier of cherry Obviously select or better at a very reasonable price...

any leads would be greatly appreciated.. I don't mind driveing to pick up materials. I guess it would be ok to check out a decent hardwood supplier might find something special for another prodject.. lol....

Thanks, ahead of time, Brett G.

Steve Southwood
04-28-2010, 8:15 PM
Brett, I am from Southern In, so I can't help you with suppliers. I do agree with the prefinished Maple for the inside. Might make it a little brighter. Good luck with the build.

brett gallmeyer
04-29-2010, 3:33 PM
no leads... :(

James Phillips
04-29-2010, 5:33 PM
You can get prefinished ply from the hardwood store in Enon (near dayton) OH but you have to special order. It is about $75 for 3/4.

Also in dayton is crlumber.com and he sells cherry for just over $3 a bd ft and his lumber is very nice.

Dave Verstraete
04-30-2010, 7:53 AM
Brent
Johnsons Lumber in Charlotte MI might ship to your area??? Not sure. It would make a nice road trip. They have a good assortment of Cherry. Not sure about prefinished Ply, though. Matt Meiser bought a lot of it . PM to him might find a source

Bud Kincaid
04-30-2010, 8:54 AM
Brett,
You might want to check out Frank Miller Lumber in Union City, IN. They have a great selection of Cherry (and many other woods). They are best know for their quarter sawn products, but not lmited to QS. I know they have a variety of plywoods, but not certain about prefinished. Free delivery. Knowledgeable and friendly folks.

Daniel Smith
04-30-2010, 9:35 AM
Northwest Lumber (northwestlumberco.com) in Indianapolis has a decent selection of lumber and ply. I don't know that they have prefinished ply, but they might be able to get it if you ask.

Dan Schocke
04-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Brett,

Central and Southern Indiana produce a lot of cherry lumber, and I would think your best bet for reasonably prices would be to start contacting sawmills directly. There's a small custom furniture company in Homer, IN named "The Sampler" (they have a website, just google the name/city combination) that specializes in producing furniture with Indiana-grown cherry. My parents had some furniture made there, and when I went to pick it up I met the owner and he even took me through their shop. He told me that all of their cherry stock comes from within a 60 mile radius, and that there were several sawmills in the area that they use. I didn't press for more details at the time, but I'm sure he would provide contacts if you call up and ask. Anyway, if I needed a decent amount of cherry, that's what I would do ;).

--Dan

Joe A Faulkner
04-30-2010, 11:32 PM
It would be a little over 2 hour drive. You should probably call ahead and check on prices and availability. Farmer/woodworker, turned sawmill operator, turned lumber wholesaler - runs the business off his farm. Several local custom cabinet makers use them. I'll pm the phone number. I don't think they have a web site. Very nice people - supporters of 4H woodworkers.