PDA

View Full Version : tool chest plans

Will Brauneis
04-27-2010, 7:38 PM
Here is the model of my tool chest i am planning on building. I decided it was finaly time to give my tools a proper home. I just discovered sketch up what a great tool! I was planning on just making a traditional joiners chest but i didn't like the idea of having to pull all the tills out to dig out the tools on the bottom. I also really liked the machinist chests with all the drawers but there was no deep storage in them for molding planes and long tools etc. So i combined them and this is what i came up with. The saws will be held under the lid like the seaton chest, my hand planes with go in the bottom two drawers, smaller planes in the next one up, then chisels auger bits and what ever else in the rest. In the back will go all my molding planes. I will make the case with some nice curly red heart maple i have and the saw till will be walnut or mahogany with maple and ebony inlay.

I'm really excited to get this project underway. I was planning on taking a bunch of photos of the construction process and making a new thread about it. Is that something you guys would be interested in?

Any critiques or comments on the design are welcome!
One question i have is the lid and keeping it flat. I want to put a profile on it but I'm worried that the saw till alone might not be beefy enough to keep it flat. Should i use bread board ends? but if i do that i cant really put a profile on it i think it would just look goofy with the end grain and face grain right next to each other. What would you do?

David Nelson1
04-27-2010, 7:49 PM
Sounds interesting to me, but I'm so new to wood working that it's all interesting. BTW good job with Sketchup I'm still falling over my shoelaces with it.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
The inlay looks interesting.... and difficult.

Do you have anything in mind for the particular areas? I am curious about that rear section (behind the drawers)... What will you place there?

Jim Koepke
04-28-2010, 1:44 AM
I was planning on taking a bunch of photos of the construction process and making a new thread about it. Is that something you guys would be interested in?

1 yes vote on interest from me.

jim

Josh Rudolph
04-28-2010, 6:53 AM
Absolutely interested, should be a nice project to follow.

Josh

John Powers
04-28-2010, 7:37 AM
Heres a nit pick for you. the handle and bracket say "sea chest" maybe not "tool chest". I think a seaman would use that laid up rope not having access to a smith to shape metal. I make them and soak them in urethane but they're not easy on the hands. You might want to expand the search but its a small thing. Good luck with it.

Jon Toebbe
04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
the handle and bracket say "sea chest" maybe not "tool chest". I think a seaman would use that laid up rope not having access to a smith to shape metal. I make them and soak them in urethane but they're not easy on the hands.
It might not look terribly traditional, but I used soft, braided line to lay up a pair of rope grommets for my tool chest's handles. The term "pair" is perhaps overgenerous... but they're on opposite sides of the chest, and it's good enough for now. :o Yet another thing to fix when those round-to-its show up. Man, why are they always backordered? ;)

I really like the design, Will. Is the chest going to sit on the floor, or be raised up at all? Getting to the till, you'd want it low. Getting to the drawers, you'd want it raised up a bit, I think.

Andrew Gibson
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I would definitely be interested in following your build.

My only suggestion would be to make sure to lay out your drawers before you start, that way you know everything will fit like you want it to. also make sure you have some room to grow in the box.

Will Brauneis
04-28-2010, 2:35 PM
Thanks for all your interest and comments! Hopefully i can get started prepping the stock this Thursday. Sorry in advance if there is some lag time between my posts i just don't have near as much time to work in the shop as i would like some days.

Ok and now to answer all your questions

Andrew: Yes the inlay will definitely be a learning experience i will probably do a practice piece first to work all the bugs out. As for what goes in the different spaces planes in the bottom drawers, chisels augers and other nick knacks in the rest, and my molding planes will go in the back space.

John: Yes i agree i was thinking that but so far i haven't really been able to find any handles that i would trust with carrying the weight of the chest. I got the idea from the seaton tool chest i figured it would be extremely strong but that was before i dressed it up it does look a little out of place. Are there any makers you would recommend?

Jon: I have a wall bench behind my work bench so it will most likely sit on there which will put it at about chest height. I will mostly be working out of the drawers so that will be perfect but if i have to get something out of the back i might need to stand on my tippy toes, nothing is perfect i guess lol

Andrew Gibson: Thanks for the advice. I pulled out all my tools this morning and everything should fit well and by my calculations i should only fill up about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the chest so i will have some room to grow. I sure wouldn't want to make it any bigger though other wise i would never be able to move it.

Once again thanks! Hopefully i will have some pictures up within the next few days

Andrew Gibson
04-28-2010, 3:12 PM
Just think of the weight of the chest as a theft deterrent.

If they cant lift it and can't open it, they cant steal it.

Joe Cunningham
04-28-2010, 3:14 PM
Looks like a fun and challenging project. I look forward to your results and a nice ongoing thread on the build.

David Keller NC
04-28-2010, 3:16 PM
Will - Regarding the breadboard ends - I've closely examined a number of antique chests over the years, some of which go back the late 18th century. In general, every one of them either were frame and panel construction (usually the later ones), or were flat, one-piece boards with breadboard ends. Obviously, the Seaton chest is an exception, but I really do think it was an aberration, not a routine construction practice of the late 18th century.

I've seen a few molding plane boxes that were just single boards with no precautions to keep them flat, but these boxes were relatively crude, utilitarian storage containers, not exhibitions of the cabinetmaker's art.

John A. Callaway
04-28-2010, 3:32 PM
WOW... First off your sketchup blows mine out the water for my chest... I merely designed the case... just for measurements... Didnt sketchup the drawers or the handles....

Secondly I really wanna see this get built.... mainly because you will keep me inspired to keep at mine with my best work.

I just had about 150 bucks worth of walnut delivered to my house today that I bought on ebay a few nights ago.... I wont even be able to see it until tomorrow... out of town right now for work...

but yes, please, start a thread.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-28-2010, 6:23 PM
I suspected that you might intend to play a plane or two in the back.... Very nice!

Will Brauneis
04-28-2010, 7:44 PM
Thanks for your great comments your really getting me psyched to get in the shop and work!

David: Thanks for the info on the lid that was a big help. I will make my lid frame and panel with blind mitered bridal joints for the frame and will pin them so there is no chance of them opening up over time. That will allow me to put a profile on the edge too.

Can anyone recommend a good source of hardware for this chest? Especially the handles for the sides and a lock for the front doors? I'm having trouble finding them. All i can find are door locks with the strait latch i would like a hoked latch. I also would like to use rose wood knobs for the drawers but i cant find anyone who makes them?

David Keller NC
04-29-2010, 9:32 AM
Will - Can't help with the rosewood knobs, but you might try advertising in the SMC classifieds - one of the members that are of the turner persuasion might be willing to make them to your specifications. For the hardware, and sensitively depending on what you want to spend, you may wish to contact Horton Brasses - they have a fair amount of stock in blacksmith-produced iron hardware, and note that they will do custom work (though it costs).