PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Hollow Form

GLENN THOMAS
04-27-2010, 6:50 PM
This was my first serious attempt at a hollow form. I don't know if it could be considered a hollow form since the opening is relatively large. The finial and the cedar piece it fits in make up the lid. The black collar and vase are epoxied together. The black parts are cherry which I dyed with black ink. I have about 6 coats a danish oil on it. The first coat of oil really soaked into the wood quick like water poured into the desert sand.

Kevin J Lalonde
04-27-2010, 6:52 PM
Sharp looking piece Glenn! Great job for first time. The wood is beautiful. Would like to see a different pic to show the form/profile better.

John Hart
04-27-2010, 6:57 PM
We had this discussion a few years ago about "when is something considered to be a hollowform". As I recall...there were lots of opinions but no definitive answer or equation. Personally, I figure once you have to hollow up under a shoulder...then it's a hollowform.

But either way....nice looking work!! What are the dimensions?

John Keeton
04-27-2010, 7:13 PM
My definition doesn't count, but to me, if I can't get to it all with a bowl gouge, it is a hollow form - about what John Hart said! But I see the term lidded vessel used a lot, so maybe that is what it is?!?!

I think you did very well on this one, and the cherry is really a nice color. Lots of steps to doing one of these!!

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2010, 7:16 PM
Glenn - I don't care what you call it - great form and wonderful color!

Should you decide to get into hollow forms - understand that it can become addicting because it is time consuming and each and every result is unique!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Bill Bolen
04-27-2010, 8:05 PM
I call it purdy! Very nice...Bill...

David E Keller
04-27-2010, 8:09 PM
I like that a lot. I agree with the others about 'hollow forms'... If you're cutting way up under a shoulder, it's in the ballpark. The constrasting woods look nice.

Curt Fuller
04-27-2010, 9:15 PM
Count me as one that thinks it's really pretty. And it looks like a hollow form to me.

Mike Willeson
04-27-2010, 9:20 PM
Very nice Glenn.

Baxter Smith
04-27-2010, 9:21 PM
Looks good to me! I am beginning to think about trying a finial and dying it black with ink. Is all ink alike or is there something special you used?

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Yep it is a purdy Hollow Form.

Frank Van Atta
04-28-2010, 1:40 AM
Very nice piece. I like it.

Tony De Masi
04-28-2010, 6:49 AM
Don't really care what the technical term is, but I really like this alot.

Well done.

Tony

GLENN THOMAS
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Baxter,

As far as I know and I may be wrong but ink is ink. I just used a bottle of ink right off the shelf of Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I don't remember where I got it. Wal-Mart or any office supply place will probably have it as well. The brand I used was Higgins, they also have other colors. I think I remember seeing some red and blue so I might try them as well. I just dipped a Q-tip in the ink and applied it with that. When you apply a finish sometimes the finish will cause some of the ink to transfer to your rag or what ever you use. Be sure to use a different rag or brush to finish the areas that don't have ink on them.

GT