PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for Sawstop PCS

Victor Robinson
04-27-2010, 3:58 PM
I pulled the trigger on the PCS recently and will pick it up this coming weekend. Unfortunately the integrated mobile base was on backorder so I didn't purchase it yet.

Wondering whether folks with the PCS have found it to be a good mobile base? Or is the "industrial mobile base" really worth shelling out another hundred for? Both are fairly expensive as far as mobile bases go.

Is there a third party base that would be better? My garage is not level, and the surface is very uneven in places as well. I don't anticipate moving the saw a ton once I've settled on its exact location, but since the shop is cramped the need will most certainly arise.

Thanks much.

Prashun Patel
04-27-2010, 4:02 PM
Victor:

I just received my Sawstop today! I was considering getting the integral mobile base you're talking about. I did not, but it's supposed to be excellent. The nice thing is that places the cabinet to the ground when not in use.

The only reason I didn't get it is because mine won't be moved around.

Congrats! I can't wait to unpack her!

Peter Aeschliman
04-27-2010, 4:36 PM
I have the PCS with the mobile base. It is very well made. My saw has the long rails, and it lifts the whole saw and balances perfectly. The foot pedal works great.

As Shawn said, it's nice because it raises the saw off the ground when you're moving it, but it drops the cabinet to the ground when you're done. This makes the saw more stable than if you have to lock casters every time.

And if you have an extension table with legs, you can't move the saw on a base that doesn't lift it off the ground without adjusting the leveling screws on the feet.

Your uneven floor will be an issue regardless of which mobile base you buy, so I don't think it's something that should discourage you from buying the PCS unit.

Brent Ring
04-27-2010, 6:19 PM
Victor:

I just received my Sawstop today! I was considering getting the integral mobile base you're talking about. I did not, but it's supposed to be excellent. The nice thing is that places the cabinet to the ground when not in use.

Looking forward to some pics and installtion info!

Carl Hunsinger
04-27-2010, 7:22 PM
...Wondering whether folks with the PCS have found it to be a good mobile base? Or is the "industrial mobile base" really worth shelling out another hundred for? Both are fairly expensive as far as mobile bases go. ...

My advice is to get the integrated mobile base. One advantage is the saw sits on its base when lowered, and when raised, even the extension table raises with it - no need to extend the base under the extension table legs.

Love my PCS !

Carl

Kyle Iwamoto
04-27-2010, 8:15 PM
I bought the SS base for my ICS. IMO it's worth the money. As mentioned, the saw sit back on the floor, so you have no stability issues. All 4 wheels swivel, making it *relatively* easy to move the beast around. Your PCS should be slightly easier.

Victor Robinson
04-27-2010, 8:22 PM
I bought the SS base for my ICS. IMO it's worth the money. As mentioned, the saw sit back on the floor, so you have no stability issues. All 4 wheels swivel, making it *relatively* easy to move the beast around. Your PCS should be slightly easier.

Thanks Kyle. Just to clarify, I think you're talking about the "industrial" (4 wheels) as opposed to the "integrated" (2 wheels, made for PCS) base?

Victor Robinson
04-27-2010, 8:24 PM
Victor:

Congrats Shawn! I won't be assembling mine until I get the base so I hope I can wrap that up soon.

Can't wait to hear how you like yours.

Daniel Smith
04-27-2010, 8:57 PM
I've had the PCS with industrial mobile base for about 2 months. I decided on the industrial base due to the fact that it had four wheels that rotate vs the two on the integrated base. I don't have a huge amount of room to maneuver the saw in, so it was worth it to me to be able to move the saw without swinging one end around when changing directions. I did briefly try out the integrated base when I was looking and it seems like a quality piece, but the two fixed wheels made the decision for me. As for the industrial base, I love it. It makes moving the saw incredibly easy.

Paul Ryan
04-27-2010, 9:50 PM
The only reason to got to the ICS base would be if you park the saw up tight up against a wall alot. The 4 casters would make it much easier. I have the saw with the integrated base, it is really nice, the best mobile base I have ever used and it isn't even close. But I wish sawstop would have given me the option of the ICS base, they never gave me the option. I park my saw in a tight place against a wall and have to do the back and forth "hokey pokey" to get it in the right place. But the base performes great when you have room to move it settles down nice and the saw stays stabile. So you have to decide if 2 more swivelers are worth $100. Unfortunately you cannot add them to the integrated base.

Rob Price
04-28-2010, 6:22 PM
I'm with Paul. I would have gone with the 4 swivel if offered for the extra $100. Of course, I haven't moved my saw once I set it up, but if I need to...

Kyle Iwamoto
04-28-2010, 7:02 PM
Thanks Kyle. Just to clarify, I think you're talking about the "industrial" (4 wheels) as opposed to the "integrated" (2 wheels, made for PCS) base?

Yes, the ICS only has that option. Sorry if I made things less clear. Having 4 wheels swivel is a tremendous advantage trying to muscle a 700 pound saw.

Matt Kestenbaum
04-28-2010, 9:21 PM
I have the integrated mobile base on my PCS and love it. I have a lousy concrete floor in my (small) basement shop -- neither level nor smooth -- and the saw was easily moved and maneuvered around the tight spaces a few times as I figured out the work flow.

The Sawstop folks have done a masterful job on the assembly procedures and process and I would guess you need the base after a few hours...there is a whole thing where you rock the saw cabinet w/ wings up onto the angle iron rails in order to install the mobile base...it is a little scary getting under there with it balanced. I only bring this up, because it is key to do it in order and not having the mobile base in hand will be frustrating!

Enjoy it!!

BTW did yours come with any rigging to link the blade guard dust collection with the main cabinet-port?

Matt

Peter Aeschliman
04-28-2010, 9:28 PM
BTW did yours come with any rigging to link the blade guard dust collection with the main cabinet-port?

Matt

Mine didn't...

james bell
05-01-2010, 8:53 PM
Shawn Patel - congrats, I have read many replies from you taking about this saw and you finally got it. I will pick mine up on Monday - keeping my old Uni with a Jessem slider for cross cuts. Always a pain installing and removing this and then having to check for adjustments each time.

My Uni sits on 5" rollers and is 42" off the floor - a nice height for my woodworking. So I did not order the mobile base, but instead will make one from 2x4's with swivel/brake casters to get the same height. Much more economical than their mobile base and very sturdy.