PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #3

Brian Keith
04-27-2010, 1:45 PM
I bought a used #3 that needs to be cleaned up. Anyone know of some good videos that detail this process?

Paul Incognito
04-27-2010, 1:52 PM
I don't know about video, but there's a good tutorial on the FAQ.
And if you search fettling planes, Jim Koepke has done an excellent tutorial.
Both are step by step and cover the entire process.
PI

Tom Henderson2
04-27-2010, 2:57 PM
Well, you could buy an IBC blade and watch the RC video...

Or try www.rexmill.com No video, but lots of excellent info.

Johnny Kleso has a lot of posts here on SMC also; try a search.

-TH

Ron Petley
04-27-2010, 4:50 PM
Soak it in citric acid from the health food store and you are good to go for a quick tune up.
lots of good info on this forum to get you through it.
cheers Ron.

David Nelson1
04-27-2010, 7:52 PM
I bought a used #3 that needs to be cleaned up. Anyone know of some good videos that detail this process?

Brian here is Jim's thread on reworking planes. I found it quite interesting, as well as a good reference.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114373

Jeff Burks
04-27-2010, 9:20 PM
If you are looking for video I would suggest:

Hand Tools (http://www.woodworkerslibrary.com/product.php?productid=17577&cat=0&page=1) DVD by Frank Klausz. There is a brief overview of hand plane restoration as well as chisel and saw sharpening and basic tool technique.

There is a much more comprehensive guide in Ernie Conover's Reclaiming Flea Market Planes (http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Flea-Market-Planes/dp/B000H6ECA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1272418007&sr=8-1). Unfortunately that one has yet to be converted to DVD. I believe the VHS is also unavailable through most sources. It is an excellent video though if you can find it.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Brian,

Do you have a way to post some pictures?

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

jim

Paul Ryan
04-28-2010, 7:07 PM
Most everyone here has more experience rehabing old planes than I. But I was advised by someone here to use vinegar to soak my planes in. It has worked very well and is super cheap.

Jim Koepke
04-28-2010, 8:17 PM
Most everyone here has more experience rehabing old planes than I. But I was advised by someone here to use vinegar to soak my planes in. It has worked very well and is super cheap.

Vinegar is also a good soak. One thing I learned on my most recent soak is to make sure the whole casting is under the surface of the liquid. Otherwise you can end up with a line and two tone metal.

Vinegar is the easiest to acquire, every grocery store carries it.

Citric acid is a bit harder to find, but may cost less. One ingenious Creeker used a powdered lemon aide mix since it is high in citric acid.

What takes place is the rust gets attacked by the mild acid and the good iron doesn't.

jim

Andrew Gibson
04-28-2010, 9:15 PM
I have a Millers falls block plane that was rusting to death in my Fiance's Parents basement. I have it soaking in a tub of vinegar as we speak.
I think I will leave it over night and see how it looks in the morning.

The Vinegar worked quite well on my old disston rip saw.

Rick Markham
04-28-2010, 9:18 PM
I'm excited to follow this thread closely, I have come to the dark side... I have a Stanley no. 3 on the way, and two millers falls jack planes on the way... I got them for a song and a prayer... hopefully they won't require too much prayer on my part. The Stanley looks to be in excellent condition, it was willed to the seller who didn't really know what it's value was... or I got hosed :D We shall see when it arrives. Either way, I am really looking forward to getting to do some fettling :)