PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good little screwdriver.

Tom Walz
04-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Black & Decker LI3100 3.6V Lithium-Ion CompactFit Screwdriver

Pretty good little screwdriver. More torque than I expected. Not sure how important the light is but it is easy to hold and use.

Tom Lowry
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Ya, I picked one up and was kinda disappointed in it's torque. Will hardly drive a #6 x 1/2" screw into red oak without pre drilling. OK for getting into tight places though.

Rob Woodman
04-27-2010, 1:47 PM
Nice looking little drill/driver. At 3.5v I expect you don't expect mega torque, what application impressed you most,torque wise?
Black and Decker have been my go to tools when I needed something to get me by until funds were available. Until recently all my portable power tools were Elu made, (B&D, Elu and Dewalt were all the same company at one time) in fact I have just retired my B&D 18v Drill after 3years of professional graft for a T15+3. I bought it after my Elu met a fatal accident after 10+ years of sterling service, as I was about to start with a new company.
They are also great tools to get when working with fibreglass boats (grinders especially) the dust tends to wear the tools out but the price of B&D ones makes the shorter life cost effective while performing well.
Regards Rob

Joe Shinall
04-27-2010, 5:28 PM
I have one of these Ryobis. I work in the IT field and I always have to carry a screwdriver with me so I keep a pocket Craftsman with the changeable bits and this with a block of bits. It works great for when I have to pull switches out of racks and such. Great torque and nice adjustable chuck. Also use it for driving in pocket hole screws all the time. I have used it for a month with no charging and it's still going.

Van Huskey
04-28-2010, 1:06 AM
Got one at Christmas in a "dirty Santa" game. Nice tool for the money, does more than I expected it to. It is the perfect tool when most others won't work.

Russ Kay
04-28-2010, 8:31 AM
I've had one of those little B&D models (not exactly like the one shown, but clearly an ancestor) for six or eight years -- it was the first Lithium-ion power tool I ever bought, and one of the best $30 I ever spent. It's really handy, always ready to go, and small enough to put into a pocket while you're working up on a stepladder. If if wears out, I'll head up to the B&D outlet store and look for something just like this.

Tom Walz
04-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes, not for red oak. But handy. I mostly use it on machine maintenance. Working on a protoype machine which means doing and undoing quite a bit.

Rich Engelhardt
04-29-2010, 6:12 AM
I mostly use it on machine maintenance
I'm a huge fan of low cost/low torque cordless drivers for things like that.
I have - @ last count - 4 of them so one is always handy & has some battery life to it.
The low torque means less chance of cross threading a screw.

For tougher driving - that requires more torque - I always have the DeWalt 7.2V and the Dremel 7.2V - each of which kicks out ~ 80 in#.

The other obvious place a low torque driver is a God send is driving those tiny little screws on piano hinges.
There's usually a bunch of them & they are oh so easy to strip out, even driving them by hand.

P.S. - regarding the light - My Ryobi straight line cordless driver (the twin to the Craftsman) has one. It's a God send in it's own right for working under sinks.
These usually not enough room under a sink for my fat carcass & a light...
;).

John A. Callaway
04-29-2010, 8:36 AM
The best screwdriver I own Is my Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver. I grab it before I grab my dewalt 14.4v or my little bosch 12v pocket driver.

Most jobs or tasks... it is just easier. Had this little ratchet driver since I was 16 years old ( 31 now ).... IF it ever breaks.... I will find a snap on truck and grab another one.

Ellen Benkin
04-29-2010, 1:33 PM
I have a Makita with the light. I thought the light was going to be useless gadget until I had to screw something into the back of a cabinet. It's actually quite useful!