PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Iles fishtail chisels

Zach England
04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Does anyone have an opinion about these fishtail chisels? I'm talking abotu the three flat-ended ones at the top of the page. Thanks

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/ash_fishtail.htm

David Weaver
04-27-2010, 1:12 PM
Do you want to use them to clean out half blinds, to clean out through dovetails or to carve?

Zach England
04-27-2010, 1:23 PM
Do you want to use them to clean out half blinds, to clean out through dovetails or to carve?

Clean out half-blinds. Honestly, I didn't think they had any other uses.

Tony Shea
04-27-2010, 2:01 PM
Those almost look like they are intended to carve but they may work ok for half blinds. I picked up a couple Lie Nielsons for the exact purpose and absolutely love them. They are very well designed and give you plenty of flare to reach the tight spaces of a half blind. Really all you would need is the 3/8" version which isn't bad considering you would need two skew chisels to perform the same function. I highly reccomend the LN version.

Robert Rozaieski
04-27-2010, 3:02 PM
They're designed as carving chisels, hence they have a double bevel. Click the picture to get a larger image to se the double bevel. You could still use them to clean out your half blinds if you wanted to though.

David Gendron
04-27-2010, 5:58 PM
I have a fish tail chisel from Blue Spruce that I like, but I think the LN one with the long handle is nicer...