PDA

View Full Version : How can I flatten hardboard?

Bob Stroupe
04-27-2010, 9:51 AM
I have a piece of 1/8" hardboard that has a curve along one edge and won't lay flat like I need it to. I tried laying it on a flat surface and throwing weight on top of it for a couple of days and there doesn't seem to be any change in its shape.
How can I flatten hardboard ?
Thanks

Myk Rian
04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Glue it down, or use brads.

John Thompson
04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
AT the price of hardboard... I would just chalk it up and replace it. I can't recall seeing hardboard curl as you describe so there may not be an abundance of solutions available but... the good news is it's cheap relatively speaking.

Good luck...

Prashun Patel
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
+1. You flatten hardboard by buying new hardboard and putting the 'warped' piece in your bin for 'future template stock'

Tony Shea
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
It must have received moisture in certain areas to cause the warping. +1 on buying a new peice. The only thing that I could think of to try but may ruin the peice is use water and weights. Could cause some bubbling issues like MDF therefore may be a lost cause. Just buy a new peice.

Peter Aeschliman
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
I've had hardboard warp on me when I leaned it up against the wall for a few weeks and left it. The problem was that I didn't lean it at enough of a vertical angle, so it started to sag.

I too would just replace it.

glenn bradley
04-27-2010, 4:04 PM
+1 on replacement. I had a piece of non-tempered HB that had some curl. Screwed it down and years later when I took the screws out; it curled just like before.