PDA

View Full Version : Wireless 3/4G Network Setup

Jason Strauss
04-27-2010, 9:07 AM
To all the IT folks out there...

I'm trying to go completely wireless at my house. I purchased a Sprint Overdrive 3/4G Wireless Hotspot in the hope that it would work well enough that I could dump my DSL and phone line from Verizon.

The set-up on the Sprint device went very smoothly and works like a dream. My iPod Touch and work issued laptop picked it up immediately. I live outside Chicago in NW Indiana. While the 4G network extends to near my house, I can't quite pick it up. However, the 3G signal is very strong and I'm satisfied with that for now.

So that I could have internet for our home desktop, I also purchased a G Network USB Adapter. This is where the problems begin.

I have probably spent a grand total of 8 hours trying to get three different USB adapters to work; all to no avail. I've tried to install the driver from the CD provided and from each manufacturer's website. I've also tried to force Windows to go out and 'find' the proper driver - this has been fruitless as well. It seems that my desktop is having a hard time deciding whether or not there's really a device attached. I've tried everything I know to do and still can't get it to work.

Thankfully, Sprint has a 30 return policy on their wireless devices. So, I can take the hotspot back. However, this completely thwarts my plan to "cut the cord". I figured I'd give you all a try before trudging back to Best Buy to return everything.

Please help if you can...your responses are much appreciated!

Derek Gilmer
04-27-2010, 9:22 AM
I'd suggest trying an internal wireless adapter I've always had better luck with them than usb ones.

Which usb ones have you tried, I'd suggest going to newegg.com and searching for the usb wireless adapter with the highest ranking/sales and give it a shot. If none them work you may have a problem with the pc itself.

Randal Stevenson
04-27-2010, 9:53 AM
Maybe someone will chime in here, but what I think you bought was a USB adapter like A/B/G/N, verses a 3G type adapter (two different protocols?).

Eric DeSilva
04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I think more information is needed.

When you say you can't get it working, does that mean you can't get the computer to recognize the USB device and reach the set up for the device, or does that mean you can't get the USB device to wirelessly connect with your Sprint modem? Presuming it is the former...

If I read your message correctly, you've tried several different Wireless G USB devices? Different devices entirely or different versions of the same device?

Does the computer's plug-n-play recognize that there is a new device when it has been plugged in? In other words, are you installing the drivers in response to a pop-up that says "new device detected"? Do you ever see the "new device detected"? Has your machine correctly identified the device if it does detect it?

If the machine isn't detecting the device, there may be a problem with your USB port. Can you plug other USB devices into that port and have them recognized? Can you try plugging your Wireless G device into a different USB port? Is it a port on the machine, or on a hub? If so, can you try it directly in the machine and eliminate the hub?

Very small chance, but most "high speed" USB devices will downgrade to low speed for compatibility if the host port isn't high speed compatible. It is possible, that your high speed device isn't backward compatible. You might try double checking your manual for the USB standards the device is compatible with to make sure the host and USB device can actually talk to one another.

Eric DeSilva
04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Maybe someone will chime in here, but what I think you bought was a USB adapter like A/B/G/N, verses a 3G type adapter (two different protocols?).

Don't think that is it. The Sprint hub is a hub--3G/4G on the WAN side, wireless router capable of supporting multiple wi-fi connections on the other (LAN) side.

Dennis McGarry
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM

His wireless 3g hotspot handles the 3g connection. He needed the wireless g adapter (backwards compt to a/b) He has the right item so to speak.

Getting the usb ones to work and work well is hit or miss.

I would return it and do what was suggested and get a wireless g pic card for the computer.

Jason Strauss
04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone. Here's some clarification...

I can't even get to the stage to set up the adapter to the network. The desktop does not want to 'truely' recognize the adapter. It knows something is there, but won't make the connection with the driver.

Tried three devices; two of one model (NETGEAR), and one of another model (Belkin). Same behavior w/ all three...

I've tried the device in all 6 of my USB ports with no change. As a test, I tried my wireless mouse in each USB port and got it to work without issue.

Before giving up, I think I'll try the wireless internal card. Hadn't thought of that. Wish me luck!

Bryan Morgan
04-27-2010, 4:33 PM
I have probably spent a grand total of 8 hours trying to get three different USB adapters to work; all to no avail. I've tried to install the driver from the CD provided and from each manufacturer's website. I've also tried to force Windows to go out and 'find' the proper driver - this has been fruitless as well. It seems that my desktop is having a hard time deciding whether or not there's really a device attached. I've tried everything I know to do and still can't get it to work.

Does the computer have USB 2.0? How long have you had the computer without reloading it and have you plugged a bunch of USB devices in it in that time? Think of all the thumb drives and whatnot...

Windows has issues with many USB drivers being loaded. Run a program like USB Deview and see all the USB stuff that is currently loaded (whether or not it is actually plugged in, parts of the drivers still sit there). This program allows you to uninstall all the old USB stuff. We use it all the time when our computers stop seeing webcams or thumb drives or whatever. When the computer stops loading USB drivers we load up the program, kill a bunch of stuff, then replug the device and the driver will try to load again.