PDA

View Full Version : Woodtek tools/equipment experiences...

Mike Cruz
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok, spawned from a conversation in another thread, I had a question for the members here: What is it about Woodtek (from WoodworkersSuppy) that gets them overlooked in just about ALL discussions about machinery. I mean, look at their line up. Look at their prices. They have pretty decent stuff. They certainly aren't "cheap" (read HF). They've even been rated pretty well (from what I am told) by reviewers.

I actually had one of their 15" planers and it left a very nice cut, was substantial, sturdy, and parts were readily available. I would liken them to Grizzly, with CS just as good. In fact, when I needed parts for my planer, I ended up on the phone (quite accidentally) with a guy pretty darn high up in the company...just for parts!

Granted, their prices for new equipment are a bit too steep for me, but so are everyone else's (that is why I have gotten all my stuff used). IF I were in the market for new, I would certainly consider them based on my experience with the planer.

So, again, what is with the lack of mention of Woodtek during equipment discussions and recommendations?

ed vitanovec
04-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I have dealt with Woodworkers Supply for many years and have always been satisfied. I had their 12" Disc/6x48" belt sander combo with stand for several years. It was a quality tool and only sold it to buy Woodtek Edge Sander. I also have their 25" Dual Drum Sander and it too is a quality tool. Yes I know the color scheme is not all that great, the owners manuals aren't that great and neither are their competitors manuals. I would recommend the Woodtek brand of tools.

Regards!
Ed

Callan Campbell
04-27-2010, 9:59 AM
I've watched this very issue over the years. I also think the 1990's was the defining decade that it happened in. If you look at older shop pictures of someone's shop, you see more Woodtek machines lurking in the background. I always seem to see the small Woodtek edge sanders on a shelf from a picture in the 80s or early 90s.
But now, I think Grizzly just works harder or more successfully to position themselves as the more desirable import machine people to buy from. They change their color scheme every once in awhile, which freshens the product line in peoples mind. They introduce new products often, and they also seem to have a lock on the design that no one else touches[Patented or otherwise] for a few years until a competitor finally acknowledge that their company needs to compete with Grizzly on a particular item, and then finds themselves in a hard battle because Grizzly already owns the market share for that item.
I also think Grizzlys showrooms push the idea that they're really more about machine sales , and not really about stocking lots of woodworking supplies, like Woodworkers Supply. Sure, Grizzly offers all kinds of things, but Woodworkers Supply is mentioned around here and other places as somewhere to get supplies, not machinery. Grizzly usually gets mentioned as a possible machinery purchase destination all the time. Not so with Woodtek.
Woodtek designs are often the same as seen at other places, older machinery that several places offered. Esp in the 90s, you'd see reviews of a machine type that had 3, 4, or 5 even, similar machines, all from China or Taiwan.. Different only in color/paint often. If one follows that business model of just importing the same machine as others, then it seems like the price or something with the price like customer service or other added value is needed to overcome your competion. As noted in other posts, Woodtek's new machine prices don't reflect an ability to stand out as a better value on a machine that's the same as someone elses offered product. So, people pick up on this and put their shopping dollars elsewhere.
Grizzly has risen above the rest to oversome this. The way people mention them around here and everywhere else, and the volume of talk about them indicates they've done their homework in keeping their product line and brand active in many peoples minds. Like the first poster said, how come people forget to mention Woodtek as a viable option in machinery discussions.
If it doesn't improve for WW Supplies, you wonder if they're going to hang in with the machine sales of the Woodtek line for another decade. I'd love to see sales figures of both companies, and a breakdown between machine types. Maybe there are more Woodtek machines out there, and they're just not as "vocal" as we Grizzly owners....:p:p:p

Dan Lawson
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I have had good experiences with the only piece of equipment that I own from Woodtek (8" jointer). I also own grizzly (saw) and powermatic (band saw). They do seem be similar to Grizzly in many respects. I would buy the equipment with the best deal, and used, Woodtek might be cheaper as it's lesser known by the general public. That's likely how I got my jointer at a decent price with low hours at $450. I couldn't complain and have been happy with it.

Dan

Mike Cruz
04-27-2010, 3:29 PM
Callan, great view. Probably very accurate, too, regarding being current and such. What I find odd is that even in the used market, Woodtek doesn't come up. While, when buying new, one might lean towards Grizzly because their machine is pretty much the same and probably a little cheaper, when it comes to used, that price difference usually goes right out the window. A 10 year old Grizzly and a 10 year old Woodtek 15" planer will both be around $400-$500 used. If in a discussion about "which used X should I get for about $500?", I don't think Woodtek would even get a mention. I suppose that is what puzzles me...

Callan Campbell
04-29-2010, 4:01 PM
Callan, great view. Probably very accurate, too, regarding being current and such. What I find odd is that even in the used market, Woodtek doesn't come up. While, when buying new, one might lean towards Grizzly because their machine is pretty much the same and probably a little cheaper, when it comes to used, that price difference usually goes right out the window. A 10 year old Grizzly and a 10 year old Woodtek 15" planer will both be around $400-$500 used. If in a discussion about "which used X should I get for about $500?", I don't think Woodtek would even get a mention. I suppose that is what puzzles me...
Thanks for the praise. I think one more wrinkle to this is it's hard to even get reviews for a Woodtek machine when compared to Grizzly[the 8" jointer post and Ed P., excepted:D] When you add that unknown condition to a large possible purchase , many people shy away from Woodtek and buy from Grizzly or Shop Fox. I agree, I have NO problems with Woodtek, but, I have NO experience buying one of their machines, or being able to easily find someone who HAS one[again, Mr. Happy 8" jointer and Mr. Sander excepted!:D]
As for WoodWorkers Supply in general, I bought my Unisaw and a decent Delta DC unit back in 2005 from them. I've bought small items from them all the time. Just no Woodtek brand items. Almost bought a bandsaw a few years ago during one of their Inventory reduction sales, but ended up with my 14" Rikon the next year.
And so it goes, I guess.

Mike Cruz
04-29-2010, 5:02 PM
So, I suppose what you are kinda saying is that the reason we don't hear about Woodtek in equipment disscussions is because there aren't very many Woodtek owners out there to pipe in. Ok, well, that makes sense. I just thought it was that there was a lack of respect for them, but it seems to be more of an ignorance (not in a bad way, by definition) thing.

I guess that answers my question. What also answers my question (and supports what we've just concluded) is that no one responded to this thread with "because they suck".