PDA

View Full Version : Future shop tour

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 8:57 AM
Ok, Not sure how this will turn out. I am in the process of a home addition with basement. The Basement will be my new shop space. Since the pond is closing soon I took some pics to post as a shop tour over there. But I am here now and trying everything out so why not post it here to.

Hmm looks like i can only post 1 pic. This is view from top of stairs

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 8:59 AM
Here is straight ahead from the bottom of the stairs

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 9:00 AM
Straight ahead from the stairs you could kinda see the alcove in the above pic here is a better one.

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 9:02 AM
Its hard to see but if you look you can see where the old basement wall was cut for so the two basements are connected. there is plywood in the opening for now. The opening is 4'

YEs it appears I already have ghosts.

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 9:04 AM
THis is the oppisite corner as veiwed from the alcove to the left is the entrence to the old basement and to the right is the stairs

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 9:05 AM
from alcove back at stairs.

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 9:08 AM
well thats it thanks for viewing. gee if i do this enough I can get to full member status quick. Was going to do another poll asking what you think. But now I see you cant do polls on replies. Oh well live and learn.

Dave

here is an overview the stairway is missing from this pic

Peter Lyon
02-16-2003, 1:25 PM
David,

Please forgive me if this question is really dumb (in my part of the country (the PNW), it's vitually unheard of to have a totally enclosed basement), but would it be possible to have an egress directly to the outside? My thoughts are that if it is possible, I would think you could design some type of temporary ramp to fit over stairs to assist in moving large/heavy pieces of equipment in and out.

The concept of a basement shop is very interesting to me. I can see pluses and minuses.

Lastly, would you provide the dimensions (including ceiling height)?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-16-2003, 2:03 PM
wider than 5' as long as you have plenty of overhead room. I couldn't tell from the pics how much you have.

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 5:26 PM
Originally posted by Peter Lyon
David,

Please forgive me if this question is really dumb (in my part of the country (the PNW), it's vitually unheard of to have a totally enclosed basement), but would it be possible to have an egress directly to the outside? My thoughts are that if it is possible, I would think you could design some type of temporary ramp to fit over stairs to assist in moving large/heavy pieces of equipment in and out.

The concept of a basement shop is very interesting to me. I can see pluses and minuses.

Lastly, would you provide the dimensions (including ceiling height)?

Peter, the stairs lead to a a set of double doors that open to the outside. The old basement did not have any egress to the outside. This was pretty standard around SE Mich, but recently I think the laws have change and now require an egress of somesort. I will post dimensions in a bit I dont have them handy and Have a screaming 1 yr old in my lap. The ceiling height is extra deep (compared to the old house) Not sure what the final dimension is cause they dug what they could, they have not poured the floor yet so I am not sure what the actual dimension will be but I can go measure it and geuss.

you can see in the pic of the stairs there is an edge all the way around the stairwell. I am thinking about putting a trapdoor like floor on it so I could put some gardening stuff from the garage in there. I dont plan on using these stairs often, just for bringing in tools, and materials, and removing large finished products.

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 6:04 PM
Here is another view, this shows the bump out where the stairs come up to some double doors.

Kevin Graham
02-16-2003, 7:46 PM
My shop was in the basement when I lived in Ohio and more than once I was lugging machines down the stairs or finished projects up them. The staircase there was only 3' wide, so I'd imagine 5' would be a dream come true. Ah, remembering the good old days of taking the Unisaw up that staircase on moving day.

George Summers
02-16-2003, 8:07 PM
Opinions, being like noses, everybody having one; heres mine. I would seriously consider a bulkhead door directly to the outside in addition to the indoor stairs. I think it would be much easier to bring sheet goods in instead of having to fight through two doors, the outside and the basement stair.

George

Tony Laros
02-16-2003, 8:41 PM
Stairs at 5 ft. are a nice size. Did you add a stringer in the middle? Hope you have left enough headroom. Building code here is 6'5" up from the front of the treads. Also, with a 3-4" concrete slab still to be poured, will you pull the stairs up to sit on the concrete? If not, the last step will be awkward.

Dave Hammelef
02-16-2003, 9:24 PM
Just went out to check the headroom is over 7'. the actual smallest spot is the door opening which is standard height.

Here is a pic of the building the entrence on the left is going to have (actually has but I dont have a pic) Double doors that open to the stairs.

The stairs actually have 2 stringers running down the middle. I told them before they builtem they would have several 1000 lbs of machenery going down, (need to measure but I think they used larger boards for the stringers) The stairs are hanging from the floor above right now. they will set them down after they pour the concrete.

Bill Murphy
02-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Dave,

Nice looking space. It's nice starting from scratch......a nice blank canvas. Good idea on the 5' wide stairs.

I look forward to seeing progress postings.

Good luck with it.

Jim Young
02-18-2003, 8:58 AM
Looks great. The 5' stairs will be great. You gonna have all your local woodworking buddies over when the shop is together to break it in?? :)

Jim Fuller
02-18-2003, 10:05 AM
I have stairs going into my basement, but I have a door to the outside. I can' t imagine the effort of moving projects up and down the stairs. You will probably only move the machinery on an occasional basis, but each project will have to be moved. Good luck!

Dave Hammelef
02-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jim Young
Looks great. The 5' stairs will be great. You gonna have all your local woodworking buddies over when the shop is together to break it in?? :)

Jim, I see Northville is your local, did you move north, I thought on the pond you were canton or plymouth? Hmmm now my brain is telling me that you did post you moved. Ok now I am just not sure of anything. At this point in the construction its kinda feelin like this thing will never be done.