PDA

View Full Version : First bud vase

Mike Willeson
04-26-2010, 8:38 PM
Well, after seeing all the great work in this forum I am a little hesitant, but here is a couple shots of my first bud vase.

The lathe is a circa 1938 Dunlap. I don't have a chuck or very good tools so I turned it between the centers and used a forstner bit for the hole.

The vase is about 5" tall and is a cross between a very stubby baseball bat and a old time glass milk jar. It is the fourth thing I have ever turned.

Also attached is a shaker pedestal table I made for my daughter. The pedestal portion of the table was my third turning.

The table and the vase are both walnut.

I have a lot to learn and have no where to go but up from here! :D

alex carey
04-26-2010, 8:48 PM
is that mallet in the background also your doing?

Both look good, glad to see you went for the bud vase. CSUSA sells glass inserts if you wanted to make it functional.

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Mike, hard to go wrong with walnut!! Nice job on the vase, and that table looks great!

BTW, I would think all would agree that it is a constant learning experience, so we all "have no where to go but up from here!"

David E Keller
04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Nothing wrong with those! You're off to a great start.

So the vase, the table, the mallet... What's the other thing you turned?

Mike Willeson
04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes, the mallet was turning #2 and the first turning was a chunk of pine for a small awl handle....humble beginnings at best ;)

So the vase, the table, the mallet... What's the other thing you turned?

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Very nice turnings Mike. Table is great and the vase turned out pretty good.

Baxter Smith
04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
They all look good and they are all functional!

John Hart
04-27-2010, 6:18 AM
Pretty Cool Mike!!! Ya know....the only thing you really need for the "next step" is a $10 faceplate. My last turnings were done with old and homemade tools, a faceplate, and pressure from the endstock. You certainly have the knack. Nice job.

Oh....I LOVE the lathe!!!! That thing is too cool. :)

bob svoboda
04-27-2010, 8:49 AM
Nice job on the vase and the table is super. I agree with John that the lathe is WAY cool!

Joe Little
04-27-2010, 9:16 AM
You have a ton of potential. For all I have spent on new gear and you can do that on a 1938 lathe, dang.

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2010, 9:44 AM
Mike - you are off to a great start! All of your projects look pretty good! Really like the vase - especially the rich walnut coloring!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

steven carter
04-27-2010, 9:44 AM
Mike,

The longest journey starts out with a single step, and you are well on your way! The bud vase looks good and so does the Shaker table. Fair warning though, the more you turn, the more you want to turn, we don't call it the vortex without good reason.

Steve

Harvey Ghesser
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Y'all are just realin him in to this vortex, I'll bet! ;)

John Hart
04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Y'all are just realin him in to this vortex, I'll bet! ;)

We're a lot like zombies or vampires in that respect.

Don't be afraid. :eek: