PDA

View Full Version : Router for above table bit changes?

Michael Heffernan
04-26-2010, 8:33 PM
I currently have the Triton MOF001C router in my Incra router table, but am considering changing it out for a router lift. (most likely the Incra/Woodpeckers PRL-V2). The Incra website says the the lift is capable of 'above-the-table' bit changes, but doesn't specify if all the compatible routers listed have this capability. I would assume that they do, but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger. I have a couple of Bosch 1617EVS routers, so I might use one of them, or go with the Speedmatic 7518.
Anyone have experience with any or all of the compatible routers? How easy is bit changing with this lift or others?
I like the Triton in my table. Bit changing above the table with the integrated spindle lock is a breeze. And it has plenty of power. My only issue and concern is the plastic wormgear in the winder/lift mechanism. I just replaced the stripped out wormgear post. It was under warranty and the replacement was relatively easy, but I'm concerned as time goes on. My router table gets heavy use mostly on a daily basis, so I want a lift that is robust, accurate and easy to change bits.
Thus the 'best router for above the table bit changing' question.

Peter Aeschliman
04-26-2010, 8:48 PM
Is your triton router an older model?

I have read in a few places that they changed the worm gears to metal on the newer versions. At least I hope they did because I just bought one!

This is an older review, but it seems to indicate that they did.

http://nhwoodworker.com/triton/update.html

Michael Heffernan
04-27-2010, 5:26 PM
I bought my Triton router in May 2009. I hope that they changed over to a metal wormgear for the new models. The replacement wormgear I received under warranty was a plastic one, same as was in the router.

Tom Lowry
04-27-2010, 5:34 PM
I have a Freud FT1700 that has a metal lift screw and does above the table bit change. It also allows spindle lock and base lock through the table, all with the same key.

Gary Pennington
04-27-2010, 9:43 PM
+1 on the Freud 1700. Can't believe how easy it is to use with built in above table lift, spindle lock and base lock. It's a gem,:) around $160.