PDA

View Full Version : Age to become a lifeguard

Brendan Plavis
04-26-2010, 8:03 PM
I had a quick question regarding the age to become a lifeguard in Burrillville RI(not sure if anyone is aware of here, or RI in general.)

For the past couple years I have been working at the local lake, at the concession stand. Its a great job, don't get me wrong, but the money isnt there. I often work all week(7 days) from 11-4/6. I make a measly sum of $5 an hour. I generally reel in approximately 1-2k per summer.

But I got talking to someone, I know, and they were saying that working as a lifeguard on that same beach makes them almost 6k a summer. They said they work 4-5 days a week, and generally work from 10-7.

I realized that I am working slightly underpaid...(you ever try working in a kitchen in 100degree weather...) While the food for us is free, I eat like a bird, so thats not really a noticable perk...

I am 15, turned in January, which I read is the requirement for National Cert. I have been working under the table, since she is a friend of mine, but, I am looking to move on, since I really would kinda like a larger financial pillow(cannot hurt to keep extra padding...)

I have tried google, but so far have gotten 20 different ages, 15, 16, 50, et cetera......

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I am a pretty strong swimmer, and can tread for a couple of minutes. I know the head of parks and rec in the town(not well enough to just go up to her and ask..), so, I probably could get in rather easily(she likes me.)

I appreciate the assistance. Its just that if there are better paying jobs out there, that work slightly less than I am currently... I would much rather jump for that... even if it is a little added work....

-Brendan

Ron Jones near Indy
04-26-2010, 8:11 PM
I believe in Indiana it is minimum age of 16 with proper certification--Red Cross? That most likely means nothing in RI.

Myk Rian
04-26-2010, 8:53 PM
All you have to do is google "rhode island lifeguard cert"
http://www.riparks.com/lifeguard_certification.htm

Joe Mioux
04-26-2010, 9:12 PM
My son, Nicholas became a lifeguard (took the lifesaving classes) at 16 here in IL.

John Lohmann
04-26-2010, 9:17 PM
16, but some gain interest in Lifeguarding earlier.

Mike Cruz
04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
What happened to the wwing business?

Brendan Plavis
04-27-2010, 5:29 PM
What happened to the wwing business?

You need money to make money my friend.....

Well, I guess that will work next year....

Oh well, with luck I might get even more hours this year(if it doesnt rain) and we get rid of the (insert female dog) cashier....

Or maybe with luck she'll stick me at the other beach(longer days.)

Although if I have to deal with that cashier I may darn well quit.... Since I really dont need the stress....

I would like to know if this sounds legal: I make $5/hour without taxes removed. I work often over 40 hours a week. Does that sound right? Since I do work on weekends aswell as holidays, without recieving time and a half(15yearolds are intitled to this correct, if they work in concessions...) I wasnt sure... I have always wondered, but have never bothered to ask...(certainly not my employer...)

John Hart
04-27-2010, 6:00 PM
Brendan....my first job in my teen years was as a lifeguard. I can't emphasize enough, the importance of getting that certification. There's a lot to it and while most lifeguarding is comprised of hours of mind-numbing inactivity, when the time comes (and it does) we're talking about pulling someone away from death....and they usually don't come along easily.

But...aside from that...remember that you are 15. You will have many opportunities for myriad experiences. As you already know, lifeguarding is better than washing dishes or flippin' burgers. But from my experience, it's not quite as good as apprenticing in a print shop...or installing car stereos. If the money ain't there, then look around for something else that you'll enjoy...don't spend the money....save it. Target every aspect of your life to fulfill a sensation of accomplishment everyday. Try things that you've never done....and fail if necessary....but keep trying.

Mike Cruz
04-27-2010, 6:06 PM
Just sounds like you are getting a taste of the real world...not enough money, too many hours. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any better. Sure, you'll eventually make more money per hour, but with every dollar more you make, you'll just have to give it to someone else for something (house; car; car insurance; electricity;, health insurance; telephone; cell phone; shop insurance...if you are going to do the wwing thing, you'll want it, you don't want to lose everything you've worked so hard for to go to someone else because of a mishap...; more tools; cable/satellite; electronics...tv, radio, ipod, non of them last forever, you always have to update them; gas; vacations; girlfriend/wife; a dog; kids; retirement; kid's college; and all the other things I can't think about off the top of my head. The last time I checked we have over 10 different insurance policies...

Right now, don't focus on your next $1 per hour, focus on your education so you can make a future.

Mike Cruz
04-27-2010, 6:10 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that my first job was working at a produce stand... I watched over the stand, tended it, took care of customers, restocked the stand...for 12 hours a day on the weekends...for $2 an hour...I was 12 years old. (OK, that was 1980, but you get the picture...)

curtis rosche
04-28-2010, 6:16 PM
around me it is 16. it also cost 250$ to get the certification.

Myk Rian
04-28-2010, 7:20 PM
15 years old, and getting stressed out because of work already?
What are you going to do when you're 30, paying rent or mortgage, car-insurance-food-clothes, etc. all by yourself?
Maybe you had better budget for a counselor then also.

Take it easy young dude. You're just getting yourself all wound up over nothing. Especially the biotch cashier that has probably been there longer than yourself. You'll be getting more, and worse people than her in the coming years. Deal with it, eh?

Be glad you have a job.

Brendan Plavis
04-28-2010, 8:29 PM
15 years old, and getting stressed out because of work already?
What are you going to do when you're 30, paying rent or mortgage, car-insurance-food-clothes, etc. all by yourself?
Maybe you had better budget for a counselor then also.

Take it easy young dude. You're just getting yourself all wound up over nothing. Especially the biotch cashier that has probably been there longer than yourself. You'll be getting more, and worse people than her in the coming years. Deal with it, eh?

Be glad you have a job.

Nah, I am actually the second most senior person there(at that beach anyway.) The cashier is a new installment...

Wound up over nothing? You try working there... I got a boss who has no issues throwing food at you(first year I was there, she threw a can of tomatoe sauce at her son, and sliced her husbands arm open with a spatula(then proceeded to cook with it.... :eek:) And a rookie who gets more hours than you.... hmmm...wouldnt you be kinda ticked off....

Rory Talkington
04-28-2010, 9:56 PM
At the YMCA it is 15 and they will train you for a pretty fair price. The only easy day was yesterday. Good luck. :D

Mike Null
04-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Both of my grandsons were LG's in Ohio and I was surprised how low the pay was. This was just a couple of years ago but it seems to me like it was about $6.50 maybe $7.00.