PDA

View Full Version : router table router?

John Daugherty
11-16-2004, 7:20 PM
I am going to be building a router table soon. My question is not about the table but the router. Here it goes. Would a 2-¼ hp router be adequate for a permanently mounted router? If it is, which one would you recommend?
I won’t be using this in a production shop or anything. I might however occasionally make a raised panel.
I would like to stay around 200.00 if I could.

Thanks

Eric McMillan
11-16-2004, 7:32 PM
I have the M12V in my router table and love it. It right in your price range too.

Michael Stafford
11-16-2004, 7:40 PM
I have two routers on separate plates for my router table.

The Freud FT2000E is a very fine router for the money, $180 or so, and has worked very well for me.

I have heard good things about the M12V also.

Michael Stafford
11-16-2004, 7:41 PM
I have two routers on separate plates for my router table.

The Freud FT2000E is a very fine router for the money, $180 or so, and has worked very well for me.

I have heard good things about the M12V also.

Both of these are variable speed, 3 1/4 hp beasts and will work well for panel raising.

Norman Hitt
11-17-2004, 1:27 AM
I also have a Hitachi M12V in my router table and love it. (Previously, I had my DW-625 in the table, but took it out to use for hand held plunge work, as it is a little less top heavy for hand held work than the M12V, and I haven't found any thing that the M12V can't do in the table as well as the DW-625).

Amazon/Tool Crib has them for $159.99 with extras, and free shipping. Will be ordering one tomorrow evening for my /'Buddy's router table. We ordered Woodpecker's Plunge Lift (plm12v) for it tonight. It's a good solid router with plenty of power, variable speed, and soft start. Sure can't see spending more when this works so good.

We decided that with the above combination, he would have a router, router table plate,AND router lift, all for $290 + $7.55 shipping for the liftplate, which seemed like a pretty cost effective setup for a real good system.

Cheers, and "Saw Safe".........Norm

PS: I noticed that if you apply for an Amazon Visa Card, you can take $30 off your first order from them, and looked like you could apply and order at the same time, but not sure.

Greg Narozniak
11-17-2004, 8:13 AM
In your price range the M12V is the way to go. I started out with a PC 7529 (Bought it before I knew about this BB :) ) It is a 2¼ hp router and it did everything I asked of it including Moldings and Raised Panel doors. I still have the 7529 mounted to a plate as a second router table and it still works well.

I got a REALLY good deal on a PC 7518 and added it to a Woodpeckers PRL and I am very very happy with this setup.

If I was to do it again I would get a Hitachi M12V and a Woodpeckers Unilift. Similar great performance as my setup and I would have some $$ left over to buy more router bits. :D

John Miliunas
11-17-2004, 8:14 AM
'Nuther vote for the Hitachi M12V and $159.00 is a great price on it! :) I've had mine in the router table from Day-1 and it's been great for everything from simple roundovers to T&G and more. :) :cool:

Kent Cori
11-17-2004, 9:39 AM
I had a Bosch 1617 EVSPK in my router table for about a year mounted in their router table base. It is an outstanding router combo and I used if for both the table and as a hand router. However, when I began to raise panels, I wanted to add a 3+hp unit that would be solely dedicated to the router table.

I bought an M12V about a year ago on a previous Amazon sale. IIRC, it was about $140 at that time with all the goodies. It has worked well for its intended use. I've never had a problem with it and it spins the largest of bits easily. The soft start and variable speed work perfectly.

That said, I find it adequate but not great. Realize that I have never used it out of the table. I use the Bosch for those needs as I think a 3 hp router is too big and unwieldy for hand work anyway. If I had, however, I don't think I would be too happy. The plunge motion is nowhere near as smooth as my Bosch. In addition, the controls and depth lock lever are not as pleasant to use.

The Hitachi has certainly done everything I've asked of it and works well when permanently installed in a router table with the springs removed. However, if I were to buy again, I'd take a harder look at the Freud.

H.R. Shadow
11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Take a good look at the new Milwaukee 2.25 hp router. I think it would be exactly what you're looking for.
I had the 1.75 hp in my table & moved up to the 3.5 hp, I think that it I saw it for as low as $150.00 sans the case. It's got EVS & it can be adjusted from above or below the table, but I've found that I just use the adjuster from underneath as I'm already at eyeball level when using my setup blocks anyway.

Jerry Olexa
11-17-2004, 10:59 AM
I originally had ac PC 690 kit mounted in my router table. I recently upgaraded to the Makita kit for about $200, Has both bases and plunge, 2 1/4 HP, variable speed, soft start and better controls. Very happy w performance. Recently completed raised panels, rail and stile etc. Variable speed is nice when using the bigger bits.

Larry D. Wagner
11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
:) John,

I don't disagree with any comments posted so far, but one negative about the Hitachi is that is has only a 1/2" collet and a 1/4" reducer bushing and this according to what I've read is a source of agravation at times if it is not perfectly lined up. I'm very partial to the Dewalt Routers and have had extremely good success with them. I presently have a 618 in my one router table and will be installing a 625 in the other table. In my opinion the 625 is the standard for all the rest. I know the PC guys will diagree, but thats OK as I think the PC's are good too.

Larry :) :) :)

John Gregory
11-17-2004, 12:29 PM
For hand routing I use a DeWalt 621 and it is great. But for the table I have a M12V with the woodpeck lift. It is a great table router for the $$$ Plenty of power. I have never had a problem with it and have used it for 3 years now.

Ed Falis
11-17-2004, 2:09 PM
I had my wife's 625 in the table for a while, and picked up a M12V when she demanded it back. The M12V is ok, but I'd take the 625 over it any day - even if it is a bit of a waste of the 625 to leave it in a table.

- Ed

Ken Garlock
11-17-2004, 2:54 PM
John, if you decide to go with the M12V, do take a look at woodshopdemos (http://woodshopdemos.com/menu2.htm) . There are 4 articles there about enhancing the M12V for router table use.

Pete Rosenbohm
11-17-2004, 6:27 PM
I have the M12V for a few years now , and i'm well pleased with it. Also have a couple of Craftsman that i leave set up for dovetails, and a PC 690 combo that i use for hand work.:D

Steve Clardy
11-17-2004, 7:59 PM
What can I say. I am a PC guy. So-----Porter Cable? lol