PDA

View Full Version : I have lots to learn about cabinet hinges/slides

scott vroom
04-26-2010, 6:21 PM
My knowledge in the areas of cabinet hinges and drawer slides is seriously lacking. Is there a publication(s) out there that spells out all of the styles, application considerations, installation tips, etc. for these hardware? I get bits and pieces of good info from this forum, but it's not an efficient way to learn such a diverse subject matter. I've even sunk to asking my local Woodcraft sales guys for help, but I swear these guys were shoe salesmen in their previous jobs.

Thanks-

Terry Sparks
04-26-2010, 6:39 PM
My knowledge in the areas of cabinet hinges and drawer slides is seriously lacking. Is there a publication(s) out there that spells out all of the styles, application considerations, installation tips, etc. for these hardware? I get bits and pieces of good info from this forum, but it's not an efficient way to learn such a diverse subject matter. I've even sunk to asking my local Woodcraft sales guys for help, but I swear these guys were shoe salesmen in their previous jobs.

Thanks-

It's really not that hard to figure out, as far as the different hinges and slides. just google "drawer slide videos" and you will get several good lessons on installing drawer slides. It's the same with hinges and, after you view a few of them, you will be conifidant enough to install most anything you wish.

So far, I have found there is a vidieo of eveything wood working related.

The only thing left to do, is choosing which slide, hinge ect: you want to buy, and by reading this board numerouse times, that becomes confusing.

Lex Boegen
04-26-2010, 7:28 PM
I've gotten a lot of good info from the manufacturer's web sites. They often have PDF versions of the manuals that come with their products, as well as online brochures describing their product lines. Blum and Accuride have lots of tech data on their products. I've also found that Rockler has tech info on lots of their slides and hinges.

James Morton
04-26-2010, 9:15 PM
I learned alot from the blum website. www.blum.com (http://www.blum.com) then click on literature. Lots of good info.

Nathan Callender
04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
When I bought my kitchen cabinet slides it was my first time and I just had to read th manufacturerspdfs. BTW a 22 inch slide means 22 inches - not slides that will fit a 22 inch deep cabinet. :)

Vijay Kumar
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
When I bought my kitchen cabinet slides it was my first time and I just had to read th manufacturerspdfs. BTW a 22 inch slide means 22 inches - not slides that will fit a 22 inch deep cabinet. :)
Nathan,
Thanks I always wondered about that.

Dave Gaul
04-27-2010, 7:31 AM
If you are looking for a publication, try book stores. I have a few reference books I got that come in handy. The ideas others have mentioned are great too.

For slides, I like to use the kreg jigs for installing slides...

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-NZ03-Magnetic-Drawer-Mounting/dp/B0002QZ4Q2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272368554&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-NZ03-B-Drawer-Mounting-Brackets/dp/B0002QZ4QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272368578&sr=8-1

Actually used these on my last project and they worked flawlessly!

Matt Meiser
04-27-2010, 7:48 AM
The Woodworkers Hardware catalog is pretty useful too.