PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a shipping service for a laser cutter?

Daniel Reetz
04-26-2010, 5:08 PM
I am moving cross-country and I'm looking for a trustworthy shipper to move the laser from point A (Fargo, North Dakota) to point B (Los Angeles, CA). Is there a company you particularly trust? Have you shipped a laser, and how much did it cost?

I have the original packing materials. I have called/emailed Epilog to see who they recommend, but haven't heard anything back. I searched the forum extensively and found nothing. Looking for some personal recommendations, if you have any.

Dee Gallo
04-26-2010, 5:12 PM
I bought a used laser from a guy in Washington state, as far away from me as they get. He sent it UPS. It arrived quickly but the box was damaged. I contacted UPS and they paid to repair a plastic bracket that cracked, including the $400 service call from the tech. So my recommendation? Send it with someone who will stand by their service because there are plenty of things that can go wrong.

cheers, dee

Daniel Reetz
04-26-2010, 5:17 PM
See, that's just it. I have recently lost packages of technical equipment with both FedEx and UPS, and both times, they refused my insurance claims.

I've also worked in the loading rooms of both companies, albeit briefly, and in both cases equipment was handled really roughly.

The Zing, for all its charm, is unfortunately not the world's sturdiest laser...

Gary Hair
04-26-2010, 5:24 PM
Send it with someone who will stand by their service because there are plenty of things that can go wrong.

I agree. Fedex just sent me a $270 check to pay for a piece of Corian that they damaged. No questions asked, no inspection. I filled out a form and they sent me a check - I even get to keep the damaged sheet.

Gary

James Terry
04-26-2010, 5:31 PM
My default answer for things like this is always ROADTRIP!

I picked mine up at the door in Viginia and back to Texas all in 56 hours nonstop. He had the original crate which had some nice foam padding for the thing to rest on. It did super in the 5x8 uhaul trailer and didnt even need calibration. Since you are going the distance anyway, bring it along, or come back and get it.

A three day "local" trailer rental isnt much. One way is...

You might consider even buying any sort of enclosed trailer that your vehicle can tow, use it, then sell it at the destination or use it to temporarily house some of your stuff.

There are many ways to shock and pad your engraver to help it arrive safely. I would use everything at your disposal for that. Some would even say to remove the tube.

Riding inside of a van would be even better for that trip.

Daniel Reetz
04-26-2010, 5:40 PM
My previous plan was to rent a U-Haul and tow a trailer behind it with my car on it. However, that is way out of budget at this point (total cost with gas coming out to just below $3K).

My car is a tiny hatchback. If I put the laser in it, that is all that would fit. So people have used FedEx and UPS... are there any nationwide courier services? My laser was delivered by Cross Country Couriers, but they only cover the tri-state area.

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-26-2010, 5:50 PM
I've had good luck with Yellow out of ND.
Might even check on line for less than load carriers. Most are insured and many will pick-up and drop off at your door.

And I have used Allied Van lines for less that full loads for electronics. Just call and see if they have a partial load going to where you are.

Daniel Reetz
04-26-2010, 5:59 PM
I'll check with Yellow, thanks Paul. Also looking at ABF. I was considering using their container relocation service as well. LTL is the keyword I was missing.

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-26-2010, 6:40 PM
If you had good service from Cross Country, call them too. I missed that in your other post.
They have conections outside the 3 state area and might be able to get better rates.
I have used them to arrange shipments from ND to AZ a few times too.

Scott Shepherd
04-26-2010, 7:02 PM
Just know that when you ship large items like that through a trucking company, if they damage it, they pay you by the pound,not by the value. So you'll get $1 per pound, not $15,000 to replace it.

I posted a thread several years ago about it. Here's the link to it :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65595&highlight=insurance

lisa farrell
04-26-2010, 8:42 PM
Try uship.com. they shipped my laserpro spirit from florida to rochester ny for under $300.00, delivered straight into my garage

David Takes
04-26-2010, 9:34 PM
Why not move the laser in the back of the car, then box and palletize the rest of your items that won't fit and ship through a LTL freight carrier you select through freightquote.com?

Daniel Reetz
04-26-2010, 9:52 PM
That's not a bad idea at all... I'll have to see how packing the car works out.

Larry Bratton
04-26-2010, 9:54 PM
I'll check with Yellow, thanks Paul. Also looking at ABF. I was considering using their container relocation service as well. LTL is the keyword I was missing.
I recently used ABF. Service was good for me, but I didn't ship my laser on it. All of my equipment went in a separate U-Haul truck that we babied 500 miles. All in all-we didn't damage one item. GOOD LUCK!

Mike Null
04-27-2010, 4:42 AM
My laser was shipped FedEx freight with zero damage.

Like others, FedEx has paid my damage claims on other items promptly without hassle.

Daniel Reetz
04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Heard back from Epilog. It appears that in addition to the excellent suggestions here, there is another option, which is to use http://www.dbschenker.com/ as a broker/shipper. Since this is the Epilog recommendation, I will probably be using their services.

I will update this thread with information and the ultimate outcome for future reference. Thanks again, everyone, for your insight.

Tom Bull
04-29-2010, 7:44 PM
One way to mitigate the claim refusal from UPS is to take it to their own pack and ship store. I shipped a huge antique mirror with plaster frame that way. All was well.

Joseph Tovar
04-30-2010, 5:04 AM
My laser was shipped FedEx freight with zero damage.

I agree...FedEx Freight. Pack the laser in it's original box(oder it if you don't have it), put it on a pallet, and shrink wrap it. Cost me about $200-$300 from Colorado to California. No problems at all.