PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple/Walnut Vase

John Hart
04-26-2010, 3:27 PM
Well...I guess my little "vacation" is over. I couldn't take it anymore.
I went out to the shop on Saturday night to stain some moulding, then accidently started rummaging through a bunch of rough-outs from over two years ago.

So...I picked out this ambrosia maple HF that I kinda liked....went through all my walnut chunks.....picked out two that I liked.....then spent all day sunday and part of today gettin' back in the saddle.

Sheesh...I even called in sick today so I could finish it.

I'm a little disappointed with the weight....a tad heavy, with a 1/4"+ wall. But it sure felt good!!!! :)

Maple Walnut Hollowvase....6" Diameter...9.5" High....Spray Lacquer

John Keeton
04-26-2010, 3:41 PM
John, it doesn't feel heavy at all to me!!:D Really, really nice, and the finish is fantastic. Did you use a rattle can? Is it buffed?

I love walnut and maple together in just about anything!

BTW, I told you - inpatient rehab is your only hope now! You may as well hire a contractor to finish the library - it ain't ever gonna get done!

David Walser
04-26-2010, 3:44 PM
John,

That's a very nice vase. The form works very well and I like the contrasting woods. Well done.

Can we use you as an object lesson on the futility of trying to escape the vortex? Two years with no turning only to succumb to the vortex's power -- calling in sick! Resistance is futile.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2010, 3:55 PM
Wow - that is quite the finish! Looks like blown glass!

Interesting shape to the vase - don't believe I've seen one quite like it. Wood combination sure works well together - great colors!

So, what are you going to turn tomorrow - when you call in sick?

bob svoboda
04-26-2010, 4:17 PM
John, simply beautiful. The form and the balance in the shape are most pleasing. The finish is the icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing.

Frank Van Atta
04-26-2010, 4:40 PM
Nice looking vase. I keep wanting to turn it upside down.

Keith Burns
04-26-2010, 5:02 PM
Would you look at that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could be mistaken but that looks a lot like one you did 3 years ago. I'll have to do a search and see.

John Hart
04-26-2010, 5:19 PM
Thanks guys....I've had a fun couple of days....but now back to the moulding. You see...I HAVE to finish the library....the insurance company is holding half the funds til I do!!:eek:

Good luck finding it Keith! Perhaps you're thinking it's one of the ones that "you' did.;):D If it'll make you feel any better....I took a picture of this one next to the segmented one that you gave me. Awwwww look how cute they look together. In the new library....forever entombed. :)

Frank...I took a picture of it upside down for ya

John Hart
04-26-2010, 5:39 PM
John, it doesn't feel heavy at all to me!!:D Really, really nice, and the finish is fantastic. Did you use a rattle can? Is it buffed?

I love walnut and maple together in just about anything!

BTW, I told you - inpatient rehab is your only hope now! You may as well hire a contractor to finish the library - it ain't ever gonna get done!

Oops...sorry John...meant to answer this. Yes..I used a rattle can (Home Depot Rustoleum High Lustre) and no...didn't buff it yet. I like to wait a couple weeks. (I wait for the smell to go away)

Bill Bolen
04-26-2010, 6:42 PM
Pretty piece John... Glad to see you are back to turning a little bit...Bill...

Richard Madison
04-26-2010, 7:01 PM
Looks great upside down too. The true test of a well shaped turning.

charlie knighton
04-26-2010, 7:14 PM
gettin' back in the saddle.

hi o silver

David E Keller
04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Nice piece. Unbelievable finish. Welcome back.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
John that is a beauty. I do like the form and the woods really work. I may have to try some of that lacquer as I have been using deft.

Baxter Smith
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice looking vase. I have tried one can of the spray gloss lacquer. I have not had consistent results with it. Sometimes it looks smooth and other times a little rough.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
John....always gets good results with lacquer....:rolleyes:

Nicely done John!

John Hart
04-27-2010, 6:29 AM
Nice looking vase. I have tried one can of the spray gloss lacquer. I have not had consistent results with it. Sometimes it looks smooth and other times a little rough.

Baxter...I ran into that "rough" look early in my lacquer addiction (hic :o)
I worked through it by working in super short bursts, very light coats, and always moving.

This one was sprayed on the lathe, turning by hand, and just bursting it in maybe 15 degree increments. Very light....very light coats. Probably did 6 coats, allowing 15 minute dry time in between.

Roland Martin
04-27-2010, 6:46 AM
Beautiful vase John. The form, wood species & finish are all excellent!

Frank Van Atta
04-27-2010, 3:25 PM
Thanks for the upside down picture, John. I think it looks great either way.

Tony De Masi
04-27-2010, 6:46 PM
Beautiful work John. Now get the insurance stuff done so we can see more of your turnings.

Tony

Baxter Smith
04-27-2010, 9:26 PM
Baxter...I ran into that "rough" look early in my lacquer addiction (hic :o)
I worked through it by working in super short bursts, very light coats, and always moving.

This one was sprayed on the lathe, turning by hand, and just bursting it in maybe 15 degree increments. Very light....very light coats. Probably did 6 coats, allowing 15 minute dry time in between.
Thanks John. Some of the ones I have tried look like the surface didn't get entirely wet before it dried. Sort of an orangepeel look.

Ernie Nyvall
04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Interesting form John which has grown on me. Course the doctor says he needs to cut it off. You always did come up with different, but cool looking stuff.

1/4" walls just wont do. I like to go for a minus in the wall thickness.

Nice work sir.

Richard Madison
04-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Baxter, Spray lacquer is wonderful stuff, and/but good advice there from John. There is a learning curve. Distance from nozzle to the work is also important. Too close and/or too slow and you get a "full wet coat" that drips or runs. Too far and it may not look like a good coat. Only the last two (of 4 or 8) coats need to be just right (speed and distance) to give a good finish. And after a few days (depending upon ambient conditions) can be buffed to a mirror finish.

John Hart
04-28-2010, 6:33 AM
yeah...It seems like the orange peel look comes from being too close. I used to think that it was due to overspray. But any time I run into it, I'll let it dry a full hour then lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to get back to smooth, and start again.

The thing about lacquer is that the current spraying will slightly dissolve the previous coat, so there's no real need for sanding between coats....but the orange peel look will compound on itself for subsequent coats. The steel wool treatment only takes a couple minutes.

Baxter Smith
04-28-2010, 6:34 AM
[QUOTE=Richard Madison;1410418]Distance from nozzle to the work is also important. Too close and/or too slow and you get a "full wet coat" that drips or runs. Too far and it may not look like a good coat. QUOTE]
Thanks Richard, you may be right about the distance being too great. The coat didn't look fully wet, sort of like there was a little dusting of it but then would dry that way. Not at all smooth looking.

John Hart
04-28-2010, 6:38 AM
Beautiful work John. Now get the insurance stuff done so we can see more of your turnings.

Tony

I am...I am!!! I haven't looked at the lathe in over 24 hours. I'm almost ready for pictures for the insurance company. Maybe 8 more hours work. ('course...that'll take 3 days :eek:)

John Hart
04-28-2010, 6:40 AM
Interesting form John which has grown on me. Course the doctor says he needs to cut it off. You always did come up with different, but cool looking stuff.

1/4" walls just wont do. I like to go for a minus in the wall thickness.

Nice work sir.

Normally, I try for the negative wall thickness m'self. Nothing quite like walnut shrapnel flying all over the shop to wake you up in the morning. :)

Baxter Smith
04-28-2010, 6:50 AM
yeah...It seems like the orange peel look comes from being too close. I used to think that it was due to overspray. But any time I run into it, I'll let it dry a full hour then lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to get back to smooth, and start again.

The thing about lacquer is that the current spraying will slightly dissolve the previous coat, so there's no real need for sanding between coats....but the orange peel look will compound on itself for subsequent coats. The steel wool treatment only takes a couple minutes.
Just replied to Richard about agreeing that it was perhaps too far away and not getting a full coat (which was resulting in the not even enough look - but it does have the overspray look as well). For whatever reason, I will try the wait longer and steel wool in between coats if it doesn't look good.

James Roberts
04-28-2010, 5:40 PM
John, instead of calling in sick, try calling in dead, then you could stay at the lathe as long as you please. :D

Seriously though, that is a beauty of a hollow form and the finish is excellent as usual.