PDA

View Full Version : cool blocks guide holder

Prashun Patel
04-26-2010, 2:52 PM
I am trying to find Cool Blocks GUIDE HOLDERS for my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw to no avail. I read some threads here that advise Grizzly makes them. But when I called Customer Service AND Tech Support, nobody knew what I was talking about.

Anyone know how I can order these?

Lee Schierer
04-26-2010, 3:01 PM
On most saws cool blocks should just slip into your existing blade guide holder, at least they do on a Delta.;)

Prashun Patel
04-26-2010, 3:23 PM
My saw has roller/bearing guide holders, though. So they need to be replaced...I think!!!

Lee Schierer
04-26-2010, 3:47 PM
My saw has roller/bearing guide holders, though. So they need to be replaced...I think!!!

What advantage do you expect to achieve with cool blocks that the rollers don't already provide? Most folks want to convert their blocks to rollers.

Kevin Womer
04-26-2010, 3:49 PM
Shawn,
I had to order new guide adapters from Grizzly when I did mine several years ago. I apologize but can't recall or have access to the sheet with the part number of the Grizzly part. It was relatively inexpensive and pretty easy. I'll look around when I get home and see if I can't help you out later.

Tom Lowry
04-26-2010, 3:57 PM
What advantage do you expect to achieve with cool blocks that the rollers don't already provide? Most folks want to convert their blocks to rollers.

I think the blocks will work better on blades less than 3/16.

I would be interested in locating a source too.

Prashun Patel
04-26-2010, 4:22 PM
Lee-
I read a bunch of threads here and an article on FWW that recommended doing this to improve blade life, support, and sound.

The rollers on my G0555 squeal like all get-out. I've also never been satisfied with their support. I was planning to upgrade the saw altogether bkz I'm hankerin' for larger capacity and power on stuff north of 3" thick, but I've recently blown my budget on a new tablesaw. Hence, I'm trying to retro my Griz with better bearings and a riser block.

Neil Brooks
04-26-2010, 4:32 PM
Shawn-

Don't rule out the possibility of upgraded bearings, either.

I've read about a fair number of people with 14" Taiwanese saws going with better quality (eg, ABEC-5 or ABEC-7) inline skate bearings.

I haven't done it, on my G0555X, yet, but ... almost certainly will, eventually.

The difference /should/ be significant.

Ray Newman
04-26-2010, 5:40 PM
Tried "Cool Blocks" on my Delta 14" BS.

Didn't see any real improvement at all.

Then I went to the Carter BS guides. Great improvement in the cut quality.

How old the tires? Sometimes just replacing the tires helps.

Howard Acheson
04-26-2010, 6:35 PM
I'm away on a trip. I ordered the Cool Block guide holders when I ordered my 0555 a year or so ago. I have the part number at home but I won't be home for another 10 days.

Be sure you are referring to them as Guide Block Holders.

If you don't have it resolved by the end of next week, send me a note.

Cary Falk
04-26-2010, 7:07 PM
I thought the guides people were using were the ones on the G0580. I could be wrong.
http://cdn1.grizzly.com/partslists/g0580_pl.pdf

Lee Schierer
04-26-2010, 7:17 PM
Lee-
I read a bunch of threads here and an article on FWW that recommended doing this to improve blade life, support, and sound.

The rollers on my G0555 squeal like all get-out. I've also never been satisfied with their support. I was planning to upgrade the saw altogether bkz I'm hankerin' for larger capacity and power on stuff north of 3" thick, but I've recently blown my budget on a new tablesaw. Hence, I'm trying to retro my Griz with better bearings and a riser block.

I would take off the bearings and visit my local bearing shop for about the same cost as cool blocks and the new holder they can outfit you with new bearings. Here's a link that my help you find a bearing distributor (http://www.globalspec.com/local/50/NJ). Most will do over the counter business.

Michael Dunn
04-26-2010, 7:37 PM
These parts should fit fine. I have used them on my 14" Cal-Hawk band saw. Grizzly parts actually fit a bunch of other brand saw. I imagine they would also fit their own. Even different models.

$7 + s/h, not a bad deal. Even if it doesn't work out right, your not losing much.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0580/parts/1

shotgunn