PDA

View Full Version : Veritas router top?

keith micinski
04-26-2010, 2:36 PM
I have the chance to buy a used but in good shape router top, pin arm attachment, bit Jack makita 3 1/4 horse router and a poorly made base on a mobile base that I would probably remake for 275. I wanted to get a router lift and a new Millwaukee router but this was all going to cost around 600 to 700. Am I crazy to think this verities top with the bit Jack is going to be pretty close to a router lift? Also it seems like a really good deal to get all of that in good shape for 275, does that seem like a fair price?

Ron Kellison
04-26-2010, 4:12 PM
Go for it! If you don't like it you can put it up on Craigslist or Ebay and probably make money. I've had the Veritas setup and most of the accessories for quite a few years now, and it has done everything I wanted. I don't use the router jack but rather the router lift made for the WoodRat. I've found almost all of it on the sale table at the local Lee Valley store and it still set me back around $400. The Makita router only makes a good deal sweeter!

Regards,

Ron

keith micinski
04-26-2010, 5:08 PM
Thanks Ron that kind of how I was looking at it to.

keith micinski
04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Boy I am kind of regretting buying this top now that I have it home. By the time I have to modify my fence to work with this top and I have to build a cabinet with a mitre gauge slot in it I am going to have as much into it as if I would have just bought a lift. Plus the Bit jack leaves a little to be desired after actually using it. I also forgot about not being able to do above table bit changes and when you have a steel top and a 15 pound router hanging off of it, it gets a bit heavy to prop up. I never see myself using the pin arm either I don't really do much work requiring patterns or anything like that. It's funny how when you are looking at something it makes complete sense but as soon as you get it you realize all of the things you should have realized before you bought it.

Roger Jensen
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I have been very happy with mine, but I think you won't see the benefit unless you get their fence (and right angle sled, which eliminates the need for a miter gauge slot.

I got a bent wrench from Sommerfeld tools, which allows me to do above table bit changes. I have a Hitachi router with a "stop slide" (or whatever you call it) that allows me to loosen the nut with one wrench. If the Makita has a similar feature I'm sure you can get one for that router.

The bit jack takes a while to get used to, but once you master it I think it is as flexible as a lift.

Roger

keith micinski
04-27-2010, 6:35 AM
Ya, the fence is kind of a big deal though because I have a really nice one already and was hoping to reuse it. I am going to give it a few weeks and see how I like it. I think I have had my heart set on a router lift though and that's the only thing that is going to make me happy.

glenn bradley
04-27-2010, 9:29 AM
I'm late to the party but, you have already discovered that the 'jack' is not a 'lift'. I don't believe it is intended to be although some rough general placement in height should be possible. I have day-dreamed over many a table over the years but a simple laminated MDF core with slots for the fence t-bolts to ride in have met my practical needs so far.

The metal top seems like it would be cool if you have some magnetic fixtures that you wanted to use. The absence of a miter slot or another method (like their intended fence and guide) to perform that function would be a deal breaker for me; I use it too much.

My Mil 5625 worked quite well without a lift but, when Woodpecker had deals on the original PRL to celebrate the announcement of the PRLv2 I could resist. That combination is hard to beat. I never even think aout it anymore; the thing just does what it is supposed to, every time. I'm not trying to lure you away from your money. Several routers will work without a lift but, a lift is sure nice to have.