PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Sharpeningsupplies.com

John Stankus
04-26-2010, 1:18 PM
Has anyone one ordered stones from sharpeningsupplies.com? They seem to have the best price on the Shapton glassstones and flattening plate.

John

Jim Koepke
04-26-2010, 2:17 PM
Looks like a business that is focused on supplying many kinds of sharpening solutions.

I think I have seen there site before when searching, but it was for someone else and I don't know if he bought from them.

Give them a try and then you can tell us.

jim

Kevin Adams
04-26-2010, 3:10 PM
John, I have bought several things from them in recent years and they are very good to deal with. Fast ship, good prices, and they do accept returns if you're not happy. You've probably already compared prices, but for Shaptons I always thought Craftsman Studio was a good place, too. I'm an oil stone guy, so that's about all I know about Shaptons!

Kevin

Steve Branam
04-26-2010, 8:50 PM
Got two orders from them over the last two weeks: set of 3 Norton India stones and honing oil, and Norton Arkansas stone. Both arrived within 5 days of ordering. Had I been willing to invest in the Arkansas stone immediately, I would have been able to get free shipping.

See this thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138994) for results using the stones.

Gil Knowles
04-26-2010, 9:55 PM
I have heard good things about www.toolsfromjapan.com (http://www.toolsfromjapan.com), very good prices on the Shapton pro stones and they also carry a couple of other brands of ceramic stones.

Orlando Gonzalez
04-26-2010, 10:47 PM
+1 on Tools from Japan. Stu Tierney is a great guy to deal with. He will give you great info to help you make your decision. I bought my Shaptons stones, Atoma diamond plate, Dozuki/Ryoba saws, and bench and paring chisels from him. Never have had a problem with any order.

He carries Shapton, Naniwa, Bester, Sigma Power ceramic stones.

If you can wait on the shipping from Japan you won't be sorry.

He's at toolsfromjapan dot com

David Weaver
04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Ditto on Stu. I think I've probably made between a dozen and 15 orders from him over the past year and a half or whatever.

He has a huge array of stuff, and good prices.

I think the 12k pro in japan is probably the same as the 15k pro over here (about a 1 micron stone). Something tells me the people at shapton had a marketing want for the US, and there was something else called 12K here (maybe the kitayama stone, or a naniwa stone) that they wanted to top.

There have been a couple of things I wanted him to carry that he didn't have that he picked up on request. Not too many places are as versatile.

I had a fairly long recent conversation with him about the pro vs. the glasstones, and now the two different types of glasstones, and I think he's going to start carrying some variation of those (glasstones), too. I still prefer the pro stones (I have both pro and glass), because as far as I can tell, the glasstones are just a way to replace 2/3rds of the sharpening media in a pro stone with 5mm of glass and charge the same for it. Most people probably won't wear out a glasstone, though, if they're in the shop once or twice a week.

Bob Jones
04-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I bought a norton stone from them and I would again.

For shapton you should check craftsman studio. Bill is great to work with. Also, I just got some shaptons and I am flattening them with sandpaper on granite. Way cheaper than their plate.

Tony Shea
04-27-2010, 2:05 PM
I have heard great things from Sharpening Supplies .com. I've no personal experience but have a local friend that buys all his sharpening supplies from them as he is a chef. It seems they cater to the knife industry a bit more than tools as their Shapton 3 stone combo is more geared towards what a chef would use for their knives not our chisels. But I wouldn't hesitate with ordering from them at all.

Rick Markham
04-27-2010, 2:07 PM
I've ordered all of my Shapton glass stones from them, they were super quick and really good to deal with. I have no complaints and everything that I had read about them is that their customer service is top notch!

jerry nazard
05-08-2010, 5:36 PM
On the basis of this thread, I ordered a Shapton glass stone from Sharpening Supplies on 5-04. I had it on 5-07. The price was $12 cheaper than the other vendors that I checked. The shipping was free. Thanks for the info!!! :D