PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to spend $400?

Randall Clark
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I need a good table saw for hobby work. By "hobby," I mean 6-8 hours a week. I have about $400 to get a table saw. There is one on CL, a Ridgid R4511 still in the box that I am told was made after the recall machines, so the arbor issue should not be a problem. Is this the best $400.00 saw I can get? I am in no real hurry; I would like to take the time to make the right choice--realizing they may be a few "right" choices.

Thank you for your incredible wise imput in advance.

Dave Gaul
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I got my R4511 during the $299 blowout deal... one of, if not the best tool purchases I've ever made!

Not sure if I would pay that price off of CL, there have been reports of several HD's carrying the R4511 for $399 lately...

Randall Clark
04-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Sure would like to know if any are available in the Detroit area. I thought they were all gone.

Rick Markham
04-26-2010, 1:02 PM
There have been a few people on here that have reported them showing back up in local HD's, In mine they haven't yet, but some Ridgid jointers have shown up, which haven't been there in quite a long time ;) Might be worth waiting around to see, besides... that "diamond" in the rough might show up on CL in the mean time. :)

Callan Campbell
04-26-2010, 1:38 PM
If you're not in a hurry, then wait to see what used saws show up on Craigslist or other classified section. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for a special at what ever Big Box store you frequent. I suspect now that Spring is here, and Summer is approaching, you'll start to see deals on power/building tools large and small since more people will want to build or repair something with the nicer weather.

Randall Clark
04-26-2010, 1:42 PM
I live in the Port Huron area (50 minutes away from northern Detroit suburbs). My Home Depot doesn't even carry table saws other than benchtop and on site saws. My lowes only carries the Hitachi which I have heard nothing about. I only know when the Detroit area Borgs have something on sale/clearance when Sawmill Creek people make it known. I take it you are saying that a $400 Ridgid 4511 is not the best buy for my money??

John Downey
04-26-2010, 2:14 PM
Be patient and get an older machine, not quite what you were asking, but that's my 2 cents. I paid $500 for a 1950's unisaw, and before that I had a 1960's 8" craftsman that I paid about $200 for. Maybe I lucked into deals there, but it didn't feel like it at the time :D

If you want a new machine, buy new rather than on CL, unless you get it for 1/2 price or so. Though its a hassle to deal with recalls and returns, you get no waranty whatsoever when buying on CL.

tyler mckenzie
04-26-2010, 2:29 PM
Be patient, and become obsessed scouring online auctions/listings. It'll pay off if you do your homework. I came out on top with my table saw delta rt35, 5 hp, and about $400 worth of industrial blades all for $500. Buy used and avoid the sub par machinery.

Will Boulware
04-26-2010, 3:07 PM
I recently picked up an old Emerson-made craftsman contractor saw froma one-man cabinet shop. Don't know what you're in the market for, but I paid $250 for mine in good running condition. I've added a ZCI and I ordered new pulleys and a link belt. I'm at a little over $300 into it now. The fence is not the greatest, so i'm contemplating a T-2. This is not a necessity. Before i yanked the pulleys and the belt, the saw cut a lot of stuff just fine. Had to put some work into it (de-rusting and whatnot), but it's turned out to be a pretty good saw for not a lot of money.

That being said, i'm still kicking myself for walking away from an R4511 the day they went on sale for $299. The only one my HD had was pretty badley chipped around the miter slots, and my wallet was less than excited about a $300 expenditure at the time. Still, I'm kicking myself over it.

Ryan Kraft
04-26-2010, 3:26 PM
I live in the Port Huron area (50 minutes away from northern Detroit suburbs). My Home Depot doesn't even carry table saws other than benchtop and on site saws. My lowes only carries the Hitachi which I have heard nothing about. I only know when the Detroit area Borgs have something on sale/clearance when Sawmill Creek people make it known. I take it you are saying that a $400 Ridgid 4511 is not the best buy for my money??

Randall - I just picked up a R4511 for $399 from the Troy store on Coolidge. Believe they have more available at that price. A little bit of a hike for you, but you may want to try calling and finding out if they still have stock.

Don Jarvie
04-26-2010, 4:02 PM
If you feel comfortable in taking apart a saw and restoring it then used is the way to go. You can pick up old cabinet saws in your price range.

If you don't feel confortable, then go new and see what is in your price range.

scott spencer
04-26-2010, 6:06 PM
The Ridgid R4511's are rumored to be back at HD in some areas. Well worth a look at $400 new...with warranty and return priveleges. I would not spend $400 for one from a reseller.

The Craftsman 21833 goes on sale in the $450 range but I think the R4511 has a few advantages. The Hitachi C10FL has been on sale at Lowes for $500....the R4511 also has some advantages over this one as well IMHO.

Otherwise, used is probably going to yield your best bang for the buck.

Randall Clark
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Has anyone ever been able to get Home Depot to honor the HF 20% off coupon? This would bring the saw down to $320.00. Just musing out loud. It seems that I am getting "qualified" approval for the R4511.

Derek Gilmer
04-27-2010, 6:41 AM
The 20% HF working at HD is sketchy. I got it to work at one then got denied at 3 others. Thankfully the 10% moving coupon from lowes is always matched at HD.

scott spencer
04-27-2010, 6:43 AM
Has anyone ever been able to get Home Depot to honor the HF 20% off coupon? This would bring the saw down to $320.00. Just musing out loud.

It varies by store and manager, but I have heard of some who accepted it....can't hurt to ask. They'll definitely take an HD or Lowes 10% coupon....prolly Sears too. Either way, and whichever saw you end up with, set aside at least $30 for a basic decent blade like the Freud Diablo D1040 or CMT P10050 from the local homecenters.

Matthew Bobek
04-27-2010, 6:59 AM
The HD in Roseville, MI has one r4511 in stock for $399, maybe you could talk them down. I've heard good things about it and people seem to be happy with them and you get the lifetime service agreement. Good luck.

Derek Gilmer
04-27-2010, 9:26 AM
Another thought is that 6 to 8 hours a week is relatively heavy usage for most hobbyists. You might be well served by saving up til you can spend around 600 and pick up a heavy duty used cabinet saw from the classifieds here or craigslist.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I would get a used contractor saw, stay away from benchtops.

Randall Clark
04-28-2010, 4:48 PM
Thanks Jeff. I agree. I have used a contractors saw (albeit an underpowered one) for too long to ever go to a benchtop model.

Also I talked directly to the main Manager of my Home Depot, and he said that he never honors the HF 20% off coupons. He is going to check and see if he can make a better deal and he took my name and number. It may mean nothing, but he offered--something that has never happened to me before.

Bobby O'Neal
04-28-2010, 7:15 PM
I was blessed to have my saw given to me, but I have seen them on CL for as low as $150. Its a (roughly) 20 year old Craftsman, 2hp contractors saw. I am not under the impression that this is an amazing saw, but for my novice skills and the price tag, its a great deal. Also, frees me up to spend $300 on a miter gauge and fence. All in all i feel like having a flat cast iron top, 2hp, solid fence and accurate miter gauge is a good start. All that to say, keep in mind what kind of fence and miter gauge are with your purchase and if you'll want to upgrage anyway.

Brendan Plavis
04-28-2010, 7:53 PM
http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/1707837776.html

ITs a drive, but for $275, there is a Powermatic 12inch.... Needs a motor, and probably some derusting(it says TLC)... But hey... its a Powermatic...and its 12in...

Terry Welty
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: 4511 back in stock 399.00?...YES IT IS!!
To confirm, yes, the R4511 saw is back in stock here in Maryland at $399. I was in the Rockville saw and ran into the rep and asked him if they are coming back.

The rep stated, that actually, another store (Germantown) just got 3 this morning (yesterday)! He was shocked himself because he had just found out a short time ago that Home Depot was bringing them back into stock.

Ironically, I just got my refund from Uncle Sam and ran to the store and picked one up at $399 and was able to use the 10% off Lowes coupon. Couldn't have been better timing!

FYI, your best bet is to call your store and have them look up the SKU# 750-663 and check whether they are in stock and also check whether they have any on order.

If you have a friendly associate, they will look to see what other stores have them on order in your area and when they expect them.

In Maryland, I know Frederick and Hagerstown stores have them coming as well.

Ken Peluso
04-28-2010, 11:09 PM
If you really can hold out, do so. I had the older ridgid, it was ok. I watched and waited until a local cabinetmaker decided to upgrade to a sawstop and listed his 1023 with 2 sets of rails, a router wing, and upgraded 5 hp motor on CL for $550. I couldn't be happier. I have the power to slice though whatever I can imagine and it never struggles at all; something the ridgid did a lot.

Like another poster said, 6-8hrs/week is a lot for a hobby and I'd bet you'll soon find yourself wanting more than the R4511 can give you.

Best of luck!

Rick Markham
04-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Randall, I have had the Ridgid 3612 the predecessor of the one you are looking at, for 8 years, it has been worth every penny I paid for it and more! I personally wouldn't have a problem dropping $399 on that saw and never think twice about it. CL is hit or miss, around here everyone thinks their POS rusted top,beat to heck, job site saw, is worth $500 bucks. Me I have never regretted my purchase of my Ridgid saw, it has served me flawlessly! Of course, if I didn't have to have a saw that was completely mobile, due to my small workspace, I would definitely spend my money differently. If you have the space, I would save up for a cabinet saw. If I had the available space (in the future maybe) I would be saving my pennies right now for a Euro slider. I have never had a single problem with my saw though so I can't complain. It has worked hard and held up with a nice blade, and everything adjusted, I have never had it bog down. Of course I have never forced the feed rate either.

James Carmichael
04-29-2010, 7:57 AM
If it's the Ridgid you're after, another option is to look for a Direct Tools store at a nearby outlet mall. They handle Ridgid and other power tool refurbs from HD.

Randall Clark
04-29-2010, 11:01 AM
As much as I would like to wait for a 3hp or better cabinet saw for $400.00 within a modest driving distance, I'm not sure I would have the eye to know if it was worth the money. I know enough to look for a cracked trunion. I can tell whether or not the motor is smooth running and if the fence is tight. I do however have a small shop, 14x30. And I think if I had a cabinet saw and a good wing I would have to get rid of something. I am already trying to sell my scroll saw on CL--I just don't use it. I am almost giving away an old craftsman RAS. But I still have room issues. I am surprised that I have not heard one negative from a R4511 owner. For a non-cabinet, non 3hp or better saw, I find that notable.

Mike Cruz
04-29-2010, 5:25 PM
Hmmm, how would I spend $400... well a table saw wouldn't come to mind, but a two word answer starting with table might...

Randall Clark
05-04-2010, 9:24 AM
I went ahead and bought the R4511 from Home Depot. With a 10% off coupon it cost $360.00 plus tax. I figure if it doesn't turn out to be what I need I can sell it for at least that amount. (by the way, the Port Huron HD has one more for $399).

I liked what people said on several different forums concerning this saw. I haven't read anything negative about this saw. I have been waiting about two years for something good to show up on CL or other avenues for a good used cabinet saw, but I haven't been able to locate anything like that, and I don't even think my 14 x 30 shop could handle a saw that big.

I will let you guys know how the "putting together" part goes. Thank you for your helpful input.

Mike, I don't think I want to know where your $400.00 is going . . .

Dave Gaul
05-04-2010, 9:29 AM
Way to go Randall! Not sure what kind of TS you had before, but the R4511 should serve well for a long time.
There is plenty of online support for assembly if you need help... unless they changed something, the instructions are horrible!!
Good luck and let us know how you make out when complete with the assembly!

Dennis Lopeman
05-04-2010, 9:46 AM
HOW did I miss this thread last week!??!

The best way to spend that $400 is to just send it to me. Just send me an email and I'll give you my address.

And thanks. I really needed it.

Mike Hollingsworth
05-04-2010, 9:59 AM
With all the schools dumping their old equipment for Saw Stops, you can get a nice used UniSaw for near $500.

Randall Clark
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I am guessing that San Marino California may be a happening place for shop class in school, but most Michigan schools no longer have a shop class. They have a few high school tech schools that teach carpentry, but not cabinet making . . .

Randall Clark
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Dennis, sorry about your financial predicament. I am sure if you just ask Obama, he'll make sure you get what's comin' to you, after he dresses down all of those dirty capitalist pigs who are providing all of the jobs for people . . . (sorry, got carried away, I know this is not a political forum)

Ken Peluso
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
congrats and enjoy the saw Randall!