PDA

View Full Version : Fair (foul?) weather woodworkers?

Bill Karow
11-16-2004, 4:01 PM
I'm wondering if I'm the only one here. Good outdoors weather is only available about half the year here in Maine, and I'm an avid cyclist, both road and mountain. I find that I spend a lot of time riding while the gettin's good, then hunker down when it starts getting icy to get back to woodworking.

Am I the only one juggling two almost mutually exclusive time-intensive hobbies? I do some projects during weather where I can leave the garage doors open, but the big stuff tends to wait for winter. And when I'm shelled from an 80 mile ride over three mountain notches, I'm not about to start using heavy equipment! :)

Michael Stafford
11-16-2004, 4:30 PM
Unfortunately my woodworking is limited by weather as well but not the same way as yours.

I am totally unable to tolerate cold. I have no adequate way to heat my shop and when I built it I failed to insulate the slab. Even if I raise the air temp to tolerable levels in the winter the floor remains very uncomfortable for any prolonged work in the shop. So I dash out there to do a little turning or something but when the cold starts creeping up my legs I'm outta there.

I've tried heating mats and the like but they take forever to do any good. I've tried standing on rubber mats, wood, crepe rubber soles etc. I cannot work when my feet are cold and uncomfortable. Back to the house to dream up future projects.

Fortunately winter is short here. My other blessing is that I can work 3 seasons. I also am able to get out there most every night.

I know, I know, you guys are saying what does this guy know about cold?
Must I remind you I am in NORTH Carolina... :eek: :D :p

Donnie Raines
11-16-2004, 4:31 PM
I am out there every day(almost) and all year long(all most).

Steve Inniss
11-16-2004, 5:14 PM
Bill,
I like to mix a bit of Mountain Biking with woodworking. I'm lucky enough to live on a lake here in Ontario in a house we recently finished building. I am currently trying to make a single track MB course through the woods.

Like Michael, I have insulation problems in the shop - mine's the reverse though. The floor, I insulated, but I haven't done the rest. So, for the winter I put on three sweaters and a couple of coats and get to work.
I lived in northern Mass for a couple of years and have experienced lots of MB trails in NH and Vermont, not yet in Maine- but we go to a cottage every once in a while near Ocean Point. -Steve

Christine Tiede
11-16-2004, 6:36 PM
Wellll, almost. I am tied to the weather as well, although not in any way previously mentioned! Having no actual shop building or garage area, I have to haul all of my toys out of the shed and basement in order to do my WW. And, living on the Canadian Prairies, winter forbids my WW hobby!! (loooooooooong 5-6 month winter)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Mike: I don't know how much - money is a concern - but, there is a way to re-do the floor by using a slightly raised floor with insulation and radiant heat under the wood floor. Spacing of the support members would be dictated by the weight load.

Bruce

Mike Tempel
11-17-2004, 1:21 AM
Weather is definitely a problem for me as well but quite the opposite. I live about 4 miles off Galveston Bay east of Houston. Here it gets quite hot in the summer and the humidity can be stifling. I tend to do most all of my work in the fall through early spring. In the summer it gets so hot and humid that I find myself dripping sweat all over my tools and projects. In the summer I tend to stay indoors, read, and wish for cooler days.:o

Glenn Clabo
11-17-2004, 5:48 AM
About 90% of my woodworking hobby time is spent in the winter. I have lots of other interests, like photography and chancing 2 labs around the ocean side, that take up all of my free time during the good weather.

Michael Stafford
11-17-2004, 6:44 AM
Bruce, I will have to look into that. Another friend suggested that I could put in hydronic heating and pour a thin slab over it to protect but I'm concerned that if too thin could be a problem and too thick I would lose too much height in the shop. I will consider your idea. Thanks...

Dan Bundy
11-17-2004, 7:18 AM
My shop (garage) is uninsulated so it's unbearably hot in the summer, plus there's golf to play and the yard to mow, so I'm only out there from Oct./Nov until April/May though I might do a small project at LOML's "request."

Kurt Aebi
11-17-2004, 8:15 AM
Mike,

I know a few people up here in Vermont that have done similar things to what Bruce suggests. Have a good heating expert come there and double check, but I think with the low level of frost line you guys have down there, it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a forced hot air furnace in my un-insulated garage shop and with my Sorel boots on - I can work out there until the temperature goes below 0°F. I did put a new floor in the atachment off the back of the garage. It is a wood floor about 6" off the ground. I removed the planking, added a vapor barrier, insulated between the floor joists then replaced the planking and added 1/2" underlayment plywood for the final floor. With my boots on (a necessity up here in the winter anyway!) I can usually work out there when it is above 0°.

Just remember, Mike - we usually don't break out our winter coats up here until it goes below 20° or so.

Andy Henriksen
11-17-2004, 9:16 AM
Spring and Fall are the two best times to spend in my uninsulated shop, but I'll tinker a bit year round. Starting very soon, though, I'll be framing out the sides of the ice rink, laying plastic, and flooding it. Pretty much Jan - Mar if it's below 32, I'll be chasing a puck around in the backyard. In fact, I need to post another off topic question related to this!

Bill Karow
11-17-2004, 2:57 PM
>>I lived in northern Mass for a couple of years and have experienced lots of MB trails in NH and Vermont, not yet in Maine- but we go to a cottage every once in a while near Ocean Point.<<

Steve -
Any time you're in the area, feel free to give me a shout for a tour of some Maine mountain biking (email is billkarow AT msn DOT com). I'm in Windham, maybe an hour and a half from Ocean Point.

Reading the responses, I feel better. I thought I was the only one with split allegiances. Thanks to all who replied!

Steve Clardy
11-17-2004, 3:36 PM
I'm a fulltimer, 6-7 days a week, year round.
Steve

Kurt Strandberg
11-17-2004, 8:01 PM
In the summer here in Minnesota it is hot and usually humid and if it is nice the wife and I would rather do this

http://photobucket.com/albums/v514/kurtsara/Motorcycle%20Rides/th_GaylordKOA004.jpg

instead of wordworking.

But the rainy cold weekends, I'm out here

http://photobucket.com/albums/v514/kurtsara/th_DSCN2933.jpg

Kurt

JayStPeter
11-17-2004, 8:03 PM
I want to be a winter woodworker. I generally do lots of other things during the summer. But, I started to realize recently that winter is when I put in all my OT so I can head home on time during the summer. :rolleyes:

Jay

David Mills
11-17-2004, 9:25 PM
I use to try to do both cycling and woodworking, and living in Texas, I can cycle pretty much year round. But I finally had to slow way down on my cycling (not stop), because it got to the point (especially in the summer) that if I was not working, or it wasn't raining, I would be out putting some miles in on the road, so I started not seeing the family as much, I would only get to make some sawdust about 2 - 3 hours a month, and I wasn't enjoying cycling as much...I was too worried about getting the miles in to stay fit to race, so I finally had to say enough, and I cut back my cycling to only about 100 miles a week (instead of the 300 to 400+ miles), and I am enjoying that hobby a lot more, now I can spend quite a few hours a week making sawdust, and get to see the family more.

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I do my woodworking all year long. During certain times of the year I just do more or less. Apr/May through Sept is golf. 4 to 5 times a week, but it still leaves me time to enjoy my woodworking. Of course that's sandwiched between all the other household chores [I'm a Mr. Mom] as well as mowing lawn and general upkeep around the hacienda. The rest of the year I try to do more woodworking, however my shop is also our garage and the vehicles reside in the garage and it's not heated, save for a couple of space heaters. On the mornings when it is between zero and 20 it takes up to two hours to get the temp up to a workable 45-50 degrees. The garage is insulated so it does stay warmer than without insulation. On the coldest days I don't go out there as it just takes too long to get the temp up. I'm thinking of some type of permanent type heater, maybe.
Oh, yeah there is a flooring that is available called Dri Core. They have a web site. I'm using it in my basement and it seems to work pretty good.

Mark Singer
11-18-2004, 1:02 AM
No problem here...just sun and a little rain....lemonade....woodworking ...seafood...more sun...dogs...a nice cup of coffee....my neighbor stops by....a swim....a bit of mountain biking..dog walking...a taco....and some sun with my margarita...no salt on the rim...oh almost forgot the Pinot

Michael Stafford
11-18-2004, 6:20 AM
Yeah, Mark, sorta sounds like an idyllic existence. I'll throw in some good iced tea, great seafood I caught myself, good music in the shop, and friends stopping by...
Hard to beat the good life... Enjoy!

Scott Parks
11-18-2004, 11:07 AM
My fair weather hobby.... I put WW on hold a few years ago because I had inadequate tools and no DC. After coating the garage with 1" of sawdust, I stopped all together. So, my hobby $ went into dirtbikes and motocross after taking an 8 year break from riding. 3 months ago, my riding partner mis-timed a jump and broke both his ankles. His left ankle was crushed. Four surgeries later... He'll never ride MX again. Since then I've re-evaluted my habit, and my bike has been parked and collecting dust.
So, I've gone back to woodworking. I'm upgrading my tools, and adding DC. Oh, and the bike is for sale...

But when the garage gets cold, I'll be skiing instead. I can get my garage nice and toasty with a heater and ceiling fan, but my tools are cold-soaked and miserable to handle.

Steve Inniss
11-18-2004, 6:55 PM
Steve -
Any time you're in the area, feel free to give me a shout for a tour of some Maine mountain biking (email is billkarow AT msn DOT com). I'm in Windham, maybe an hour and a half from Ocean Point.

Thank you Bill - will do. Likewise if you are ever in Ontario, Muskoka is cottage country 2 hrs N of Toronto - lakes and trees and rock. -Steve (sinniss AT earthlink DOT net)

Arnie Grammon
11-22-2004, 9:30 PM
For quite a few years, I have been woodworking in the winter and golfing in the summer. When I built my shop last fall, I decided go heavy on insulation. What I didn't anticipate was the side benefit of a super-insulated shop........it stays cool in the summer. I can go out in the shop after a 95 degree day and inside it hovers around 70 degrees....:cool: .

Now, my golf is horrible (my twilight league team is wondering where my game went) but my woodworking is slowly improving. Works for me.

AG

Dan Mages
11-23-2004, 7:37 AM
I do work all year around. Durring the summer, my woodworking usually goes outside to build a shed, a deck, fence, pergulla, etc... during the winter, I work on furniture type projects.

Dan

Beckey Boyd
01-27-2006, 1:00 PM
Can anyone explain the various uses, ways to build or advantages to a pergulla? A friend here in South Texas is having one built and I would like more information on the origins, uses and advantages of having one. Please respond to beckeyboyd64@yahoo.com. Thanks so much for your time!

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2006, 1:52 PM
I tend toward heavier shop use in winter. Summer is outdoor time and time to do the outdoor projects. Of course, sometimes necessity demands you do, repair or build something.

Bob Johnson2
01-27-2006, 2:15 PM
It's late fall, thru early spring for WW. Golf, the yard, and floating around in a canoe pretending to fish the rest of the year. I couldn't stand being in the basement when the weather is good. Of course if it's raining...

What's a Pergulla, something like a galumpki???

Tyler Howell
01-27-2006, 2:15 PM
Can anyone explain the various uses, ways to build or advantages to a pergulla? A friend here in South Texas is having one built and I would like more information on the origins, uses and advantages of having one. Please respond to beckeyboyd64@yahoo.com. Thanks so much for your time!

Hi Beckey.
Are you refering gto a pergola:confused: Try Google. Pictures, discriptions, the works.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-27-2006, 2:30 PM
I am a fair weather woodworker! I also camp so that takes up my summer. The good news is I still get out there to work some of the nights of the summer.

However, right now the business is taking up my free time that I haven't set aside for my daughter, so woodworking is on a hold of sorts. Still building in wood, so I get me fix! :)

Tom Drake
01-28-2006, 6:52 AM
I am fortunate to be able to work in my shop 7 days a week all year long. I use a forced air wood burning stove to heat mostly but I also have a gas furnace as well to pick up the slack if the wood burning stove goes out.

Robert Mickley
01-28-2006, 7:22 AM
I work year round, when I get the chance. Too many irons in the fire.
Summer time theres the garden, gotta have the garden love my fresh veggies.Which means I help the wife with the canning. This year I'm adding blue berries and red and black rasberries. Next year I hope to add some fruit trees.
Then I have to help the cousin out here on the farm, theres a never ending job. We also have about 2 acres of grass to mow. On top of theat summer time I work a regular job about 60 hours a week

Winter time its logging and woodlot maintainence. Something the cousin has never done before. Equipment repairs. Indoor house projects. And theres always logsthat need sawn into lumber.

So in my "spare" time I try to get in the shop, good thing it,s insulated and heated :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-28-2006, 9:20 AM
My Dungeon is out of the weather, so when I can, I go over there and get some work done.

I'm from Canada, and we use to log in the winter, cut firewood in the summer etc, so the weather has never really bothered me.

Bike Mike with them cold feet of yours, you need these.....

Electric Socks (http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/heatedsocks_chronicallycold.htm) <-115v house version

http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/images/sock_cronicallycold.jpg

They have battery ones too.

I ride motorcycles, I never get cold feet, or hands, but riding buddy does, really soon too. He bought a similar set (12v to run off the bike) and he just loves them, makes a cold ride much more fun.

Cheers!

Mark Singer
01-28-2006, 9:27 AM
When its nice I am woodworking and when it gets real nice I am either woodworking or at the beach:rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
01-28-2006, 9:43 AM
End of March here is tournament fishing time for me. That goes thru first part of November. So I guess I'm a foul weather woodworker. Course there are days in the 60, in January, that I'm in my basement shop, and wish I was fishing.

Tom Hamilton
01-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Fortunately, I can work year round in my Houston area garage shop. The window air conditioner is the most used and most important tool in the shop.

Winters are so mild that heat is not necessary.

Of course, there is also gardening, granddaughters, LOML, and daily exercise, so the "shop time" is between other events.

Occasionallty I'll declare a "road-trip" day, which means I'm in the shop don't bother me unless there is arterial bleeding.

But I can't exercise that option very often! :D

All the best in 06, Tom

john mclane
01-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Right now a variety of activities (WW, photography, biking, kayaking, gardening) are my hobbies and I have a job I really do like. But I find if I do any of them too much in one stretch I get somewhat bored or anxious. I just sort of go with the mood. I took a 3 mi walk this morning at sunrise on the Narragansett bay shore and took some nice pictures of some flocking birds. This afternoon I'll do some woodworking (starting a workbench). A good balance among all things is what keeps us interesting. I would not feel guilty about taking a bike ride and not working in a shop afterwards. Go with what is available and how the mood strikes you. :o Carpe Diem

Dennis Peacock
01-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I prefer to work in the winter. I like the cooler temps and a LOT LESS BUGS to deal with in the winter....like ZERO bugs. :D I can't stand to work in the summer in the shop, so I added A/C. I restrict me work in the shop in the summer months (June through September) and work every day/night from about mid-Sept through about the middle of June. I figured that out after trying to work in the shop in the summer my 2nd year here and the temp in the shop was 117º F....:eek: WITH the doors open!!!!! So no more working in the heat for me. Other than that? When work doesn't get in the way? I'm in the shop as much as I can....most weeknights, Saturdays, and some on Sunday.

Fred Voorhees
01-28-2006, 6:57 PM
...with my margarita...no salt on the rim

Oh Mark!!! What on Earth are you doing drinking a margarita without salt on the rim? I think you just convinced me to imbibe with a few tonight:p :p

Fred Voorhees
01-28-2006, 7:00 PM
I used to be more of a wintertime worker since it does get a bit hot up in my second floor shop in the dead of Summer. I have three fans up there and these days, I have learned to just grin and bear it. I now try to find something to do in the shop regardless of the time of year.

doug webb
01-29-2006, 12:22 AM
it was all i could do to stay in the shop and work today...terrible working weather........sunny, 80 degrees with a light breeze. my attention kept wandering to the open garage door. please, no pity...i am strong. i can take it. doug

Gary Max
01-29-2006, 6:25 AM
Really try and get a bunch done this time of year. heck we are in the shops 7 days a week. Need to get ready for the show season coming up and it's getting close to fishing time. In the early spring-- when the white bass run we are on the lake 4 or 5 days a week.

Bob Noles
01-29-2006, 10:09 AM
I am fortunate as my entire shop revolves around working both indoors or outdoors. Everything is on wheels and can be rolled outside when the weather is nice. We all have distractions that keep us from our hobbies from time to time and that is life, but it sure makes us appreciate those times when we can give it our full attention.

Scott Parks
01-29-2006, 7:29 PM
Funny how someone digs up a thread over a year old to ask a pergola question???

By the way, what's up with the bomb reference thingy's in peoples sigs???