PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Travelers-Or Those Who Call It Home

Phyllis Meyer
04-26-2010, 9:33 AM
Hi Everyone!

Just starting looking at a possible Alaska vacation (husband's 50th birthday and our 30th, ok 29th anniversary). I would truly appreciate any suggestions for the best locations, railroad tours, bus tours, glaciers, Denali, bears...we have been looking on line of course and have requested all the cruises but we may just fly in.

Looking for those little motels-cabins-bed and breakfasts than anyone can recommend. We are not fancy folks that need a fancy place to sleep because we would rather spend our money on something else. Restaurants, anything must see I would love suggestions. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Rich Stewart
04-26-2010, 1:35 PM
I've never been there. It is on my list of things I want to see before I die. I have heard to be careful what time of year you go. The blackflies and skeeters will KILL you at certain times of the year.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2010, 1:44 PM
Phyllis,

Are you a member of Costco?

Check with their travel services division.

Our DIL planned our trip to New Zealand through Costco and it couldn't have been better. Let them know it's your husband's 50th..your 30th anniversary.

One of the resorts in NZ gave us an $80 per person dinner as an anniversary gift.

Go to the travel services webpage and get their 800 number. They will customize their trips. They did for us.

Phyllis Meyer
04-26-2010, 7:05 PM
about the flies and skeeters! Thanks Ken about Costco, no we aren't members but will look into that.

Sincerely,
Phyllis

John O'Brien
04-26-2010, 9:04 PM
In 2000 we took a Holland America cruise and land tour. Left from Vancouver on the ship. We were only on the ship 3 days, then we took the land cruise. We went by small train, boat, tour bus, luxury dining train, and saw many sites along the way. Then flew back home.

We were out about 12 days total and had a great time. I would have to look back to see exactly where we visited, but I do remember Chicken, AK with a total of 7 residents and one dog.

CHeck their tour book and see if they still offer the trip.

John

Ted Calver
04-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Phyllis,
I lived in Alaska (Anchorage, King Salmon, Cold Bay and Cape Newenham) between 67 and 73, so I can't offer a modern perspective. I would suggest that if you are outdoor people there are any number of fishing or hunting camps operated by professional guides that would be memorable, depending on the time of year. It would be hard to cram the Alaska experience into two weeks. We camped, fished for salmon, trout, steelhead, dolly varden, arctic char etc. Took fly-in float trips. Dug delicious razor clams at Clam Gulch on the Kenai peninsula. Looked for fossils. Panned for gold. Hunted caribou. ptarmigan, moose and brown bear. Picked rose hips and blue berries to make jam. Shrimped, caught snow crab, salmon and halibut from Homer Spit. Got eaten by mosquitoes and white socks. Went Snowshoeing, cross country skiing, hiking, snow mobiling, ice fishing. Watched the northern lights, listened to the wolves howl, grew cabbages the size of basket balls, got run out of camp by black bears and any number of other adventures. When we left, we drove our camper to Valdez and took the inland passage to seattle. Great life, but that was 30+ years ago and many things have changed. Remember that mother nature is unforgiving. If you plan to do an outdoors vacation and you are not experienced, go with a guide or a group of experienced folks. If you only have a short time, a tour like the one that John O'brien took sounds like a good place to start. Google things to do in Alaska for ideas.

Tom Godley
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
We went on a Royal Caribbean cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver a few years ago - we took our mothers along (fathers deceased). Magnificent scenery - but its a rather low impact trip - all the little stops (towns) are similar coupled with the required cruise excursions. We also spent a week in Vancouver/ Victoria - beautiful place. We all enjoyed the trip.

This is a complete opposite experience of hiring a guide / boat / helicopter to go fishing -- fantastic :)

Rick Potter
04-27-2010, 1:16 AM
We really enjoyed Skagway. Take the local tours. Schmaltsy but still quite interesting.

Rick Potter

Kerry Adams
04-27-2010, 7:28 AM
Good Morning,

We lived 4 years in Fairbanks courtesy of the US Army and loved it. The train from Fairbanks to Denali is a must do. The Discovery steam boat is also excellent and the museum at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks is excellent. IMHO opinion if you don't get to the interior, you haven't really seen Alaska.

The glaciers and Seward Alaska are also very enjoyable!

I drove a 26 foot U-Haul up the Alcan Highway and we towed a boat coming back down. A great experience for those who appreciate you may not pass this way again!

Bed and Breakfasts everywhere-internet is definately the answer.

Your making me homesick!LOL Need to get out the photos!

Kerry

Ken Garlock
04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi Phylis.

Several years ago, like 1995, we did a two week package with Holland America cruise line. We like that line since it is geared to people who are in their 40's and up. Yes, there are some children, and some young people, but they are not the predominate group. Our trip included the following

Fly out of Seattle to Fairbanks. Spend a couple days site-seeing.

Travel by Train to Denali for a bus excursion and a stay over night and half the next day. The back on the train and onward to Anchorage.

Fly by Alaska Airlines to Kotzebue for a say over night above the artic circle. Then on to Nome for the day, and back to Anchorage.

From Anchorage, we went by bus to the Alyeska Ski resort for an overnight stay, and then on the next day to Seward Where we boarded the ship.

From Seward we saw the glaciers and then traveled on the Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. We spent a full day at each stop giving plenty of time to explore, take a helicopter trip out to a glacier, and a raft down from the base of the Mendenhall glacier.

We ended up in Vancouver BC where we flew back home.

We have taken 5 cruises over the years, but this was by far the best. Second best was transiting the Panama Canal.

Craig D Peltier
04-27-2010, 4:05 PM
Hi Phylis.

Several years ago, like 1995, we did a two week package with Holland America cruise line. We like that line since it is geared to people who are in their 40's and up. Yes, there are some children, and some young people, but they are not the predominate group. Our trip included the following

Fly out of Seattle to Fairbanks. Spend a couple days site-seeing.

Travel by Train to Denali for a bus excursion and a stay over night and half the next day. The back on the train and onward to Anchorage.

Fly by Alaska Airlines to Kotzebue for a say over night above the artic circle. Then on to Nome for the day, and back to Anchorage.

From Anchorage, we went by bus to the Alyeska Ski resort for an overnight stay, and then on the next day to Seward Where we boarded the ship.

From Seward we saw the glaciers and then traveled on the Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan. We spent a full day at each stop giving plenty of time to explore, take a helicopter trip out to a glacier, and a raft down from the base of the Mendenhall glacier.

We ended up in Vancouver BC where we flew back home.

We have taken 5 cruises over the years, but this was by far the best. Second best was transiting the Panama Canal.

Ken that seemed like a pretty awesome trip.