PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fence facing for Shop Fox TS Fence

Stephen Saar
04-26-2010, 1:29 AM
My facing on my fence (http://grizzly.com/products/The-Classic-Fence-w-7-Rails-Legs/G9220 part 8A) is in need of replacement, and I was curious if anyone has ever replaced their facing before. I wasn't sure if it would be best just to try to order the part from Grizzly, or if there are better options out there.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Keith Pitman
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I haven't replaced one, but I have a suggestion. Find a plastic supplier in your area, take one of the faces there and they will be able to tell you what it is and get it for you. I've had great luck finding useful types of plastic at Plasticare in south Denver.

I also have a question. How satisfied are you with this fence? I want to replace my Unifence and don't want to pay for a Biesemetyer. Does it lock down tightly? Is it accurate and repeatable in the settings? Any negatives? Appreciate any insights.

Michael Flores
05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Stephen, Do a search here on the forum for that fence cause i saw were people were changing their's also cause it wasn't straight. I notice they were changing theirs to Corian.

Stephen Saar
05-02-2010, 11:04 PM
@Keith - I've been happy with my fence. The only thing that they did that I thought was really boneheaded was the tape marker that lets you know where you are is about 1/4-1/3 of an inch off the tape, so it's easy to get the distance off by a little just by moving your head a tiny bit. I looked to make sure that I had it attached right and that my fence was as low on the rail as it could go. I think they've made some modifications to the fence from the one I got so maybe they fixed it. Overall I've been very happy with it. I've been able to make very repeatable cuts on mine even using the marker that is included. I usually also double check with a tape measure just to be sure, and normally I'm not off by more than a 32nd to a 16th of an inch. So I don't think it's too bad. I guess if you were looking for hundred's of an inch accuracy it might not be good enough, but I'm not looking for 100ths of an inch in accuracy, once the temp/moisture/time/etc... changes I've already lost that 100th of an inch anyway. At least that's my .02. I'm sure someone will jump on here talking about how they work to 10000ths of an inch and anything less is just poor workmanship.

:-)

Rob Hough
05-03-2010, 8:22 AM
From the looks of it, the fence on the G0691 (what I have) is a slightly modified version of that ShopFox fence. I replaced my fence face with a corian-like product. Here's the end result of that:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=312&pictureid=3397

Holes are a little larger than what is called for, but I didn't feel like going out just to get that bit size.

Keith Pitman
05-03-2010, 9:34 PM
Stephen: Thanks for the info. I'm on the trail of a used Biesemeyer I stumbled on today.

Rob: Great idea. I'll bet the replacement faces are hefty.